Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 8, 2009 1:12 PM

Jun 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
To many betrayals in just one episode.
Jan 25, 2010 10:49 PM
Apr 2009
Ok, so this was the fourth bad episode in a row. I haven't seen anyhting good on this show yet.
I wasted 2 hours of my time with this crap, I'm just gonna watch the next episode, if it's also bad, I'm definitely gonna drop this show.
May 7, 2010 8:33 AM

Jun 2009
In a way I think this was a better episode than previous ones. Yoko showed some backbone at times, which was definitely progress. There is hope, I think.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Dec 4, 2010 2:49 PM

Apr 2010
Hate to say it but the crazy bitch was right. Takki couldn't be trusted.

Poor old man :( although what he did was still screwed up :/

Yoko isn't a wannabe good girl. I would've slapped Yuka >:| and she should kiss Yoko's ass. She didn't fake suicide >:O

Dec 13, 2010 1:35 PM

May 2010
Why is everyone such an asshole in this show? It's even worst than Monster
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Jul 30, 2011 6:22 PM

Sep 2008
insan3soldiern said:
Yoko showed some backbone at times, which was definitely progress. There is hope, I think.

She seemed more willing to bring out the sword in this episode, and seemed slightly less whiny and cry-baby-ish.

I was seriously disappointed in Takki. ._. Yeah, seriously too many betrayals in one episode. Hopefully they're looking at it as that, or those people, that don't manage to kill them will only make them stronger. That... and hopefully they realise that hardly anyone is to be trusted - except each other. Even then, I'm not too sure Yuka is really to be trusted. She seems way too self-absorbed, and as though she's acting entirely in her own interest and based on her own desire to stay in this weird world whose inhabitants obviously don't want her or Yoko there.

Yuka's "boyfriend"/Yoko's childhood friend seems to be the only real tolerable character.
Jul 19, 2012 12:13 PM
Jan 2010
>japanese society
Aug 2, 2012 10:48 PM

Jul 2007
This episode was shown that "that man" visions of Kekki were not a lie and deception and trickery were the only things on her mind. What else does this mean? Could it mean that her vissions of Yoku are correct as well? The women wanted to sell youka plain and simple and yuko sugimoto is much more aware of these things were as youko proves to be to trusting.

I can symphanthize for what she is going through though, having this strange man tell her all these things, she just does not how to react in that type of situation with her friends ending up so distance from her. At least she has Asano. It is also shown that the person they been chasing, is not Keiki but an older women with the kings parrot on her shoulder.

Jan 23, 2013 11:07 AM

Jan 2008
I think it's getting better, youko starts growing a spine and at the same time seems to drift apart from her "friends", which definetly should be considered a good thing.
"Truth is always a delusion." - Friedrich Dürrenmatt
Apr 30, 2013 5:15 PM

Jul 2011
neoalexys said:
Ok, so this was the fourth bad episode in a row. I haven't seen anyhting good on this show yet.

This.
"Average girl" Pfft! Far from.

The only good moment was when she picked up the sword and slayed the thing.

PLEASE GET BETTER. =_____________=
Dec 14, 2013 11:58 AM

Sep 2013
Where have you been all my life. I've been looking for a show like this FOR SO LONG. Zero no Tsukaima could've been it, but didn't quite deliver. So far, this has. Well done foreign realm, adventures and fights. Really looking forward to the rest of the show.
Feb 20, 2014 12:34 AM

Jul 2008
Good grief, everyone just treats her like shit. At least she's starting to willingly use the sword but good grief her two friends treat her coldly, the visions of back home she's treated like shit from friends and family, and then everyone here betrays and wants to kill her.

Now we get the blond girl and the King again....I'm sure this will end well too.
Feb 21, 2014 6:04 PM
a lil bean ✨

Feb 2011
she seems too easy to bully lol... she's not liked by anyone and there's someone telling her to kill herself... let's wait and see what happens

HiScoreLoScoreAuction

Turn-InsAWCc

ᓚᘏᗢ

Mar 25, 2014 7:18 AM

Aug 2013
Betrayals! Betrayals everywhere!
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Oct 30, 2014 6:10 AM

Feb 2014
I really want to like this series but there's not a single likeable character.
Jan 6, 2015 5:16 AM

Jan 2012
who is she?

Feb 11, 2015 3:55 AM

Jul 2013
Okay this series is quickly grating on my nerves...
Why is it that after Keiki (who supposedly sworn to protect her) seemed to have come for Youko only to abandon her when he dumped her in this new world and disappeared without even a hint of an explanation.Is this some kind of a joke?
It doesn't even help that so far none of the characters are the least bit appealing.Sugimoto and Asano don't even seem to have any real connection with Youko in terms of friendship.Their basically just a bunch of acquaintances stranded in a fantasy world.I'm sure Youko could do that all by herself without these two lagging around.
Youko seems to be a goody too shoes whiny overly naive girl in a strange world (sure anyone would freak out if they woke up in a strange new world but what's the deal with her trusting all these people in a strange world she never been in before?
How is it again that Sugimoto and that guy (don't remember his name) even ended up being part of Youko's little escapade anyway?Why didn't Keiki leave them ? These two just seem to be creating unnecessary drama. :/
Oct 27, 2015 12:13 AM

Apr 2014
Confucius said:
Why is everyone such an asshole in this show? It's even worst than Monster
Agreed.

Youko's father is a douche canoe.

If I had to say I like one character, I would say I like the mask guy that spoke those harsh words to Youko.

Everything he said turned out to be true, so even if he comes off cunning and Izaya Orihara-like, I still think he may come to be a guide for her. Not sure yet if he's an ally, but seems like he's honest, and making Youko look at herself. Especially considering his theme is masks, or the faces people wear, as he spoke their true intentions hidden behind them.

Then again, betrayals right and left...
DawningFogOct 27, 2015 12:26 AM
Nov 8, 2015 10:14 AM

Dec 2013
Incr3dibl3 said:
Okay this series is quickly grating on my nerves...
Why is it that after Keiki (who supposedly sworn to protect her) seemed to have come for Youko only to abandon her when he dumped her in this new world and disappeared without even a hint of an explanation.Is this some kind of a joke?
It doesn't even help that so far none of the characters are the least bit appealing.Sugimoto and Asano don't even seem to have any real connection with Youko in terms of friendship.Their basically just a bunch of acquaintances stranded in a fantasy world.I'm sure Youko could do that all by herself without these two lagging around.
Youko seems to be a goody too shoes whiny overly naive girl in a strange world (sure anyone would freak out if they woke up in a strange new world but what's the deal with her trusting all these people in a strange world she never been in before?
How is it again that Sugimoto and that guy (don't remember his name) even ended up being part of Youko's little escapade anyway?Why didn't Keiki leave them ? These two just seem to be creating unnecessary drama. :/

I can't say much about Keiki without spoiling, but I'd say just keep watching. There's a reason why Keiki disappeared, and why people are after Youko's group.

As for Asano and Sugimoto. One of the two eventually gets put in their place, and the other doesn't actually exist in the source material, and it's going to show later in the series.
Matsuoka Yoshitsugu has hardly any range as a voice actor, and is grossly over-cast.

Yeah. I said it.
Dec 13, 2015 12:28 PM

Feb 2013
Youko is starting to wise up and fight better too.
May 14, 2016 9:31 AM

Jul 2015
The music, the art, the animation are great but still after each episode i just feel like "meh"......
Dec 30, 2016 12:10 AM

Aug 2014
everyones saying its gonna get better. jeez the creators should've thought of a better way to start it though.
Xtina is my mother!
Mar 27, 2017 6:12 PM

Jan 2014
Two betrayals in just one episode..

Sugimoto .. I just can't stand her..
May 2, 2017 2:08 PM

May 2017
Why did Asano slap the sword out of her hand? seemed unnecessary
Jun 15, 2017 8:17 PM

Oct 2012
Seems like you can't trust anyone in that world, not even your own people
Kind people didn't exist.. Just like in real life :(

Poor girl he just want a peaceful life
I guess the harshness of the real world will teach her how to be stronger
Looking forward for the day she won't cry everytime something bad happened to her or complaining about "I want to go home" all the time
"Signature removed"
Aug 14, 2017 7:43 PM

Nov 2013
She needs to ditch these shitty "friends"

they wont even last a week with her gone... All she does is cry every episode lol, if this doesn't get better I might drop
Apr 29, 2018 11:52 AM

Dec 2015
I actually enjoyed this episode
And while I feel that they've crossed into comedic shallow territory with the old man's constant crying out, I felt as though his betrayal was a really good development and certainly realistic for this kind of situation. I just wish they would've made this whole thing a little more subtle and nuanced. It probably doesn't make sense but I guess the way the first Narnia movie (not the television films, the 2005 version) handled
would've been preferable.
Apr 29, 2018 11:53 AM

Dec 2015
Also I forgot to mention, her sword's inner ghost/ demon has a really great voice
Feb 21, 2019 4:28 PM
Nov 2010
The monster showing right on time so that the main characters and the villagers don't clash seems a bit convenient. That grandpa's appearance was also a bit too timely so that the three main characters don't split up even for a bit. The grandpa's behavior seemed a bit unnatural when he first shouted how things were unfair for him.

I'm also not sure what to think of Takki deciding to sell them to the brother rather than to the authorities. It seems to me that strangers like the three are a fairly regular thing and so the rewards for reporting them would be, too.
Sep 25, 2019 8:50 AM

May 2015
The pants drama was 10/10.

Fuckk you taki.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Sep 29, 2019 1:52 AM

Jul 2016
the way old anime isekai makes you feel like you're alone traveling with them in that universe...
Oct 25, 2019 11:18 AM

Sep 2014
The old man ranting on baby boomers was the best thing lmao.
Dec 16, 2019 11:23 PM

Aug 2018
Worst anime I ever watched
Jun 28, 2020 11:48 PM

Jul 2016
God, and just when I thought Youko was starting to get somewhat better mid-episode
Oct 26, 2020 7:45 AM

Aug 2017
After four episodes, I still don't like most of the characters, and seriously what's the deal with Sugimoto? I don't think this anime is bad so far, but when you dislike most of the main cast it's hard to watch. Still hoping they improve.
May 21, 2021 3:26 PM
Feb 2016
Can't say I love the MC and sidekicks yet, but I despise them somewhat less. MC seems to veer from whiny to feisty in the blink of an eye. But good for her that she slayed that monster.

I'm sticking with this show for the moment because it is just intriguing enough.
Aug 15, 2021 12:43 PM

Nov 2016
Nice character development this episode.

Was willing to agree with Sugimoto that showing some healthy sceptism is appropriate, but at first I didn't want to believe that Taiki had such an ulterior motive. Potentially a blessing in disguise for Youko, as she's now acting on the two faced nature of people. This prominent theme ran like a red thread through this episode. It was even explored within Youko. It's definitely overdue for her to come to terms with her repressed feelings.

Well, I'm also interested to learn what's the deal with that weird guy.

PS: Feel bad for WW2 grandpa
FMmatronAug 15, 2021 12:51 PM

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 23, 2022 9:35 AM
Nov 2020
now i think that sword's man what ever is saying is true...and she should listen to him...i can feel her heart is innocent but she needs to be brave
May 22, 2023 5:35 AM

Oct 2019
Man, it was nice seeing the WWII grandpa. Like, seeing someone like you who has been in this country for 50-60 years. Especially one who lived through WWII and didnt know how Japan would fare. 
"Perfection is perception. For me, humanity's imperfections is what makes it perfect"

Dec 12, 2023 4:10 PM

Apr 2017
So far, it's a slog to get through. I watch a show on Netflix with my sister, called Trinket. I just notice that we both finished an entire season in 2 days. Granted, it's just 5 hours of content in 2 days, but still. It's great considering that we only watch it for lunch (for dinner, I'm usually watching The Boys or playing a video game). I can watch 2 and half hours of Trinket, which is 5 episodes, in one sitting. However, I can barely slog through an episode of this anime. Even now, I'm going to go a large gap without watching it. I might watch episode 5 later on tonight (like way later), or I might save it for tomorrow. I mean, even for the previous anime I was watch (Princess Tutu, Revolutionary Girl Utena, and Rose of Versailles), I was watching like 4-5 episodes in one sitting. Though in this one, I can barely watch 2 episodes a day (and that's with them spread out). I think the issue is like the other commentors said, none of the characters are really likeable. There's nothing compelling so far. There's no good villain, none of the good guys are likeable, and they don't have any chemistry at all. They're basically 3 people who are acquaintances at best, who are trapped in a world that they know nothing about. It's frustrating to watch them stumble around, especially when neither of them are fun or likable.
Jan 12, 11:38 AM

May 2022
I really like the fact that youko starts to doubt people's true intentions and i feel like this mask demon is not that evil. Also why do i get get the feeling keiki was setting them up too.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Juuni Kokuki Episode 5 Discussion

kie_ - Aug 8, 2009

37 by AzafuseKingTora »»
Apr 21, 11:25 PM

Poll: » Juuni Kokuki Episode 3 Discussion

Scribbly - Oct 14, 2008

41 by AzafuseKingTora »»
Apr 21, 7:49 PM

Poll: » Juuni Kokuki Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Scribbly - Sep 30, 2008

68 by AzafuseKingTora »»
Apr 20, 9:59 PM

Poll: » Juuni Kokuki Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Beatnik - Mar 7, 2008

50 by BarronRobinson »»
Apr 13, 2:35 AM

Poll: » Juuni Kokuki Episode 10 Discussion

kie_ - Aug 8, 2009

25 by BarronRobinson »»
Apr 11, 6:41 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.