Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Sep 6, 2013 5:24 AM

Aug 2012
I loved the paranoia in this episode. Poor cop is going nuts.
Dec 6, 2013 7:13 PM

Mar 2013
I'm marathoning this atm, and I believe there is only one word for this anime:

Unsettling.

I don't believe I can put it into better words how all the aspects of this anime, especially the mental disorders, reverberate within the viewer to create such... discord. But I like it.
Apr 12, 2014 1:09 PM
Jan 2010
mass hysteria desu
sasuga me
Jul 2, 2014 5:42 PM

Jan 2014
e-eh?! Kozuka commit suicide?
nah, this getting interesting now.
Aug 14, 2014 7:14 PM

Jan 2014
omfg, that episode preview at the end, this was my reaction:
Aug 23, 2014 1:40 PM

May 2012
How the hell did he die? And man everyone is starting to lose it!
Dec 9, 2014 4:09 PM

Sep 2010
Wow. Things are getting seriously twisted now. What is up with this anime?? (I'm so very hooked though hahaha)
"If you can eliminate all the other choices, the remaining choice, no matter how improbable, it is the answer."- Sherlock Holmes
Jan 4, 2015 7:45 PM

Dec 2011
Heh, Maniwa is quickly freaking it out. Maybe will be the next victim of Shounen Bat?
Pretty scary watch this episode at 1am, btw. 5/5.
Oct 10, 2015 9:31 AM
May 2012
Treefingers said:
IppoSRB said:

Btw As i said in previous episode, Shounen Bat doesn't really exist. Only in our heads.
He's an angel "make a wish, and i'll do it". This is getting more and more exiting.

+50 points for you.
I like how you think

That's what I think, too. There are still many possibilities, though.
That preview.
Oct 23, 2015 11:18 PM

Feb 2014
Shounen bat is dead...?
Wut
Now there's another guy on the loose!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 19, 2015 8:08 AM

Jan 2012
sad they lost their jobs.

Nov 26, 2015 6:43 PM

Jul 2014
I think Shounen Bat isn't real. I noticed the fake one said something like "if I'm gonna do it anyway...then before that- " I think he was referencing to him wanting to kill himself. The only thing the real Shounen Bat did was grant that wish.
And I think the comment Tsukiko made a few episodes back where she said she thought she recognized the boy is related to the old man. The doll said that it couldn't be the same boy because it was so long ago, so it would be impossible for him to be the same age. I don't know how it would be connected though :I
Dec 1, 2015 11:28 AM
Aug 2012
Perfect episode! Agree with everyone about the idea that he is like angel granting a wish-nothing could be added! But I like how this series devours me in its atmosphere, I feel cornered, scared and not comfy-masterpiece!
Jan 7, 2016 11:29 AM

May 2015
So the kid wasn't really Shounen Bat. I believe him when he said he only attacked those two people, but maybe he is one of several Shounen Bats? Then one Shounen Bat killed the other? Really confusing. I wonder what's going on.
I'm also really concerned for the younger detective's mental health.
And am I the only one who thinks Taeko's faking the amnesia in order to torture her father?
"It's a tragic misunderstanding that could have been easily avoided if he just finished his sentence in time!"

— Richard Watterson (The Amazing World of Gumball)
Mar 24, 2016 5:49 PM

May 2014
I love how paranoid this show makes the viewer with each passing episode, God this is so good.
I've been here way too long...
May 21, 2016 3:26 PM

Jul 2015
Oh shit, they're getting backed into the corner now.
Jun 25, 2016 3:23 AM

Feb 2016
Very interesting turn of events. I liked the tone shift and the execution of the scene where that one investigator is asking frequently which person is cornered and the viewer comes to the conclusion that he himself (the investigator) is being cornered.

Also it's been confirmed that shonen bat is still on the loose.
Nov 16, 2016 8:39 PM

Sep 2013
I don't understand why the copycat kid and Shounen Bat look just alike. When the character design lady made up Shounen Bat, she drew up a sketch of what he looks like. And then the copycat guy shows up and somehow looks just like Shounen Bat in the sketch? Huh?

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Jan 11, 2017 9:54 PM

Mar 2016
Wow, another interesting episode.

Given that this anime has the supernatural label, my guess is that Mitsuhiro Maniwa is on the right track, meaning that Shounen Bat can appear and disappear in front of people who feel cornered/trapped. I don't think Shounen Bat is completely imaginary though. Also, given his behavior, I'm guessing Maniwa is going to be the next target.

However, if Kozuka was telling the truth when he said he only hurt Shogo Ushiyama and Masami Hirukawa, I guess he just "happened" to be lucky that he hurt someone who actually felt cornered? Also, the cops believe Kozuka killed himself, but he was actually killed by Shounen Bat. Why did Shounen Bat kill Kozuka when he had only seriously injured the other victims? Perhaps I'm wrong in thinking Shounen Bat isn't imaginary.
BlondieJan 11, 2017 10:03 PM
May 9, 2017 7:17 AM

Dec 2015
What mind fuckery is this??
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
May 19, 2017 5:55 PM
Jul 2018
wow the copycat actually died,,
Jul 26, 2017 10:17 PM

Jan 2014
Talon184 said:
I don't understand why the copycat kid and Shounen Bat look just alike. When the character design lady made up Shounen Bat, she drew up a sketch of what he looks like. And then the copycat guy shows up and somehow looks just like Shounen Bat in the sketch? Huh?

That's what copycats are supposed to do, though, to copy someone else. If he had ot fit the basics, he would have settled for another criminal
Jul 26, 2017 11:46 PM

Sep 2013
wlundgren said:
Talon184 said:

That's what copycats are supposed to do, though, to copy someone else. If he had ot fit the basics, he would have settled for another criminal

That's what they're supposed to do, sure. But if I remember correctly (it's been awhile since I watched the show now) no one knew what Shounen Bat looked like. They just knew it was somebody with a bat and skates. Then the copycat shows up and doesn't just resemble him. They are identical.

Just a bit of a stretch imo...

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Sep 21, 2017 6:39 AM

Jun 2008
Brilliant episode and directing from Satoshi Kon. The atmosphere of that episode reminded me of a fusion between Texhnolyze and Twin Peaks. Which is never a bad thing.
May 2, 2018 4:00 AM

Feb 2016
When the show suddenly becomes Texhnolyze
May 20, 2018 12:39 PM

Apr 2015
I feel a bit mixed on this episode. See, it WAS a great episode, and it did develop the plot. I just feel like this show ... is getting ... a bit obvious?

I mean, maybe it's just me. But the idea that Shonen bat isn't a real person has been my suspicion since day one. It's not very subtle at all. The show is literally called "Paranoia Agent".

The twists are just not that big unless they're character specific. For instance, finding out that the bad cop was a pedo who liked his daughter? Big twist, especially when his only redeem quality before was providing for his family. This episode, it was realizing that the creepy TV and radio transmissions are coming from the ex police officer. I'm also very surprised that shonen bat made the copy cat kill himself. I feel so bad for the police officers, they got to feel like shit.

I do like where the show is going. It's just not wasn't interesting as it possibly could be this episode because it focused on making Shonen bat more obvious, and the characters focused on this episode weren't as interesting (I do like the young police guy tho)
observing a woman's body
Feb 17, 2019 4:09 PM
Aug 2017
Talon184 said:
wlundgren said:

That's what they're supposed to do, sure. But if I remember correctly (it's been awhile since I watched the show now) no one knew what Shounen Bat looked like. They just knew it was somebody with a bat and skates. Then the copycat shows up and doesn't just resemble him. They are identical.

Just a bit of a stretch imo...

They established a look for the Shonen Bat in the first episode did they not? While Sagi drew the sketch and gave a basic outline, public rumors filled in the blanks. He just made himself appear how SB allegedly looked like. Sorry to call you back to a show you watched years ago lol

AngryAlchemist said:
I feel a bit mixed on this episode. See, it WAS a great episode, and it did develop the plot. I just feel like this show ... is getting ... a bit obvious?

I mean, maybe it's just me. But the idea that Shonen bat isn't a real person has been my suspicion since day one. It's not very subtle at all. The show is literally called "Paranoia Agent".

it focused on making Shonen bat more obvious,

Hey I get you, and I thought from the start that it was just a mass hysteria, I actually thought that was the premise of the show lol , but now I'm holding out hope that I've been wrong all along, especially, as you say, they are making it "obvious" that SB isn't real (the lead detective said it openly, many times in the last episode as well as this one) but I think (hope) that's it's just a setup to once again subvert expectations. But you'll already know if you read this lol.
heym8heym8Feb 17, 2019 4:15 PM
Feb 17, 2019 4:23 PM
Aug 2017
This episode was so good. Ambient as fuck. The sound design, editing and cinematography was so so good. So glad I watched this one high with my headphones on, loved it.

I realy don't know what to make of the cop and his communication stuff, first time this show has truly confused me a bit. Were his broadcasts and stuff in previous episodes? I don't remember.

Perfect episode IMO, just exactly what I wanted from this show, it's so good. If this was a live action western TV show, it would probably gain a cult following and would be the new Twin Peaks. R.I.P Satoshi Kon. Japanese, Animated David Lynch :( i am sad now
heym8heym8Feb 17, 2019 4:27 PM
May 15, 2019 5:05 PM
Aug 2018
During this episode I got the feeling that the younger detective named Maniwa will become the namegiving "Paranoia Agent".
May 24, 2019 9:20 PM

Dec 2018
Yeah the paranoia aspect is prolific.The dream sequences illustrate that well. It is just not my taste.

However, the plot twists are driving this into territory that I despise "appearance vs reality" related to morally correct figures i.e the policemen.

It is highly probably I will not finish this show. I don't like to watch people being driven mad, let alone into hysteria.
Sep 1, 2019 6:30 PM

Feb 2017
One nasty aspect to this episode is that I'm sure the police Chief would have been perfectly happy if the kid had confessed to committing all the crimes. Would have wrapped things up and he would have kept his job. And maybe after a few more aggressive interrogations, the kid would have cracked and that would have been the final result, a "happy ending" for everyone except the scapegoat. So it's actually rather important that the kid died before he was able to take the blame for all of the attacks.
Sep 28, 2019 11:41 AM

Oct 2013
Detective Maniwa seems to be losing his sanity as well.

I'm curious who is this old guy. He seems to be significant.

I knew that kid wasn't the real Lil' Slugger. The question now is: who is the real one?

Chief really is bad at his job and kisses his patience so easily.
Jan 15, 2020 9:50 AM
Apr 2016
What an amazing episode! I am baffled. If I were Ikari Keiichi (the detective), I wouldn't believe in Maniwa's (detective's partner) story either, since as we all know, supernatural doesn't exist, and while this is an anime, you gotta look at it from real life's perspective. Maniwa did a good job surprisingly--I guess interrogation wasn't the only thing he was good at--so as I was saying, Maniwa figured everything out! However, while his dreams seem to be telling him how it is, does he consciously realize that he's the "cornered person"?
Apr 3, 2020 10:22 AM

Apr 2016
I doubt the criminal is human, is this series going to a supernatural development? I don’t know where the series’ going, there are different options.
May 28, 2020 7:37 AM

May 2016
Maniwa might be slowly losing his marbles over Shounen Bat but at least he's a step closer to the truth compared to the Chief who's gained a very short temper out of all this. I actually felt pretty bad for the kid since he got killed after being treated so poorly by his interrogators.

Hirukawa and Taeko just smiling together was pretty disturbing. This was easily the creepiest episode yet and it's starting to look like Shounen Bat's a malicious supernatural entity that poses itself as an escape mechanism. That has a bit of a Paprika vibe and that's cool.

Jun 17, 2020 3:38 AM

Jul 2016
I love how people are drawn in Satoshi Kon works. they're drawn in such a creepy way that you can tell they're human, but look like empty shells so they end up looking "humanoid" or "doll-ish".

Also I think Maniwa is in the same boat as Kozuka where they both have a difficult time distinguishing reality from delusion which is why Maniwa was able to go along with Kozkuka's RPG delusion in that earlier episode compared to the other detective.
Mar 22, 2021 7:29 AM

Nov 2018
Satoshi Kon was the best mindfucker in the entire anime industry :(

I doubt Shounen Bat is a person as well.
I hate everyone equally
Mar 23, 2021 2:01 AM

Aug 2012
This was solid entry, probably my least favourite episode that I still liked though. Mostly commenting just to keep up my sweet streak of commenting on every episode, I find myself with little to say about this. I did find a lot of this episode kind of predictable, with Kozuka being Shonen Bat's next victim or Maniwa being the man behind those weird transmissions, and it also wasn't until the latter half of the episode that I actually found myself enjoying the experience. Maniwa getting closer and closer to the truth was interesting, and Ikari handing him a vacation slip was funny. It was also pretty heartwarming that Ikari did trust Maniwa enough to go through with his last minute rescue attempt. It's nice that Maniwa has picked up on what many viewers have already suspected of Shonen Bat.

At this point, I'm guessing Shonen Bat is a Tulpa. A being that is a physical manifestation of thought. Which would mean that Maniwa's current method is only likely to aid Shonen Bat if I'm correct, though clearly he needs something like that to be able to catch him so that might be intentional. But it just makes the most sense, Tsukiko being a renowned character creator in a way with he doll designs at least, and how Shonen Bat managed to grow through walls after Maniwa's own associating that ability with him in his mind with the whole magician act.
Aug 24, 2021 10:27 PM

May 2019
Now the paranoia is on full throttle as it wraps around Mitsuhiro.

The editing between slow and fast pacing just really amps up the creepiness to all of this.

Whoa.
Dec 11, 2021 9:22 AM
Nov 2020
Definitely the best episode so far. Leaning more into the psychological horror side of things was a great idea - very reminiscent of Perfect Blue in style but entirely different in subject matter.
Feb 28, 2022 7:32 PM

Dec 2018
Holee shit, nice mystery psychological thriller. This episode was so Texhnolyze. The narrative, audiovisuals and tone pretty much feel almost exactly like a Texhnolyze episode.
. . .
Aug 22, 2022 4:28 AM

Jun 2020
That was one of the best anime episodes I have ever watched in my life. This show really fucking stepped up huh. I swear it felt like I was watching Texhnolyze for a bit, the stylistic choices were similar. Man this episode is a fucking full on full all round masterpiece.

Sep 4, 2022 4:24 AM

Jul 2020
Dammmn can't wait to see how all of this unravels in the end. I'm almost sure the actual Shonen Bat doesn't exist and desperate people hurt themselves while putting the blame on their figment of imagination. I mean, it all checks out except how come all of them see the same-looking imaginary person? I honestly can't predict anything at this point, fuck, I love this show
Mar 24, 2023 2:20 AM
Jul 2018
I like the tone shift with the bleached lighting. Also It seems like lil slugger is becoming more and more of an entity especially with the ending. Also Maniwa descent into obsession is well done.
Apr 12, 2023 4:18 PM
Jan 2019
Something to do with Epstein IDK
Jun 4, 2023 4:13 AM

Oct 2022
No! i don't want Maniwa to go mad!!! ahhh he was so cute as well. RIP fake shounen bat kid, though he was a copy cat, he didn't deserve to die.
opin·ion
[əˈpɪnjən]

NOUN

1. a view or judgement formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge:"that, in my opinion, is right" ·

Aug 21, 2023 3:46 PM

Sep 2018
Oh I see, it's that wonderful Japanese media trope that anyone with an "unusual" hobby is a disgusting disgrace or a lunatic or both.

Also, I don't think I like the direction this show is going, I'm giving it one more episode before I drop it though.
KristiwazhereAug 21, 2023 3:57 PM
Feb 1, 4:24 PM
Jan 2021
The plot gets more and more cloudy.

It's really hard to tell what is a red herring and what isn't. The elderly characters seem to be at the centre of it all, but the plot also leans towards SB not being real at all.

Did the radios have any relevance, or were they all in Maniwa's head? The prophesies mentioned 'striking through the broadband' early on. Could it be that the radios are being used to coordinate something? I'm getting cult vibes from the imagery.

That being said, all 3 police officers (2/3 being sane) saw SB glide through the wall. I'm beginning to wonder if SB is a spirit dedicated to helping 'cornered' individuals, and the elderly people are sages guiding him. Maybe it's a mix of faked attacks, real attacks, and paranormal attacks all in one.

I'm excited to see how the remaining episodes manage to wrap up so many loose ends.
lkj509Feb 1, 4:29 PM
Mar 6, 1:01 AM
May 2021
I like this episode, it's dark and depressing. It reminded me of the movie "Seven".
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mousou Dairinin Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Arashi89 - Aug 7, 2009

90 by pennyisirl »»
Apr 21, 7:53 PM

Poll: » Mousou Dairinin Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

katsup - Apr 3, 2008

215 by mbarseru »»
Mar 21, 4:16 AM

Poll: » Mousou Dairinin Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

LibreKoi - May 24, 2009

63 by lkj509 »»
Feb 7, 2:41 AM

Poll: » Mousou Dairinin Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

LibreKoi - May 24, 2009

62 by lkj509 »»
Feb 7, 1:45 AM

Poll: » Mousou Dairinin Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

kawaiimisato - Apr 11, 2009

105 by lkj509 »»
Feb 6, 5:08 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.