Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Aug 8, 2009 7:44 AM

Jul 2009
better episode than last week....
Aug 8, 2009 8:27 AM

Mar 2009
Furuichi is my personal hero! helping people even though he just lost his grandchildren

he made me tear up...almost cried
Aug 8, 2009 8:48 AM

May 2009
Nice and touching episode. Mirai is getting more likable as her attitude changes.
Aug 8, 2009 9:39 AM

Jun 2009
Hey, hey, where did little miss whiny-face go! Was she hit on the head when the tower fell? Now, she's a nice, even sensitive, kid? That was a 180 character transformation if I ever saw one.

Realisim scale is good on this episode, solely on the efforts of Furuichi and his wife Misako. Five episodes in, we finally get some damn heroes. There should have been some since episode one, but better late than never. Oh and that udon looks at least twice as good as any 'disaster' food I have ever seen.

On that note, this series would have been 100% better for me had those two had been the main characters in the series: a 13 episode series about an elderly couple who lost their grandchildren amidst a disaster. We could have episodes about the people they help, some drama with the parents, some strained relationships, flashbacks, the works.

Hey, at least the then-whiny Mirai now wants to be useful, right?
fisher_88Aug 8, 2009 9:42 AM
Aug 8, 2009 9:43 AM

Jul 2008
fisher_88 said:
Hey, hey, where did little miss whiny-face go! Was she hit on the head when the tower fell? Now, she's a nice, even sensitive, kid? That was a 180 character transformation if I ever saw one.

LOL XD

Ya quite real indeed wonder what's next XD
Aug 8, 2009 10:04 AM

Jan 2009
Hmm.. I actually kind of liked this episode O.O Or well, I actually have taken a slight liking to the series overall : o (Ah.. It must've been because of Mirai's "improved" cyclothymic disorder)
Anyway, the .. man it sounds really wrong to say the 'funniest' moment.. anyway I'll say it like that this time..
The "funniest" moment in the episode, must've been this one:
Yuuki: What's in there?
Mirai: Stained Glass! It's really pretty!
And then.. blargh lots of dead people. Too bad, huh?

Oh right.. I somehow still cannot seem to be able to comprehend the excessive .. how to put it .. "drama" or w/e. I mean.. I've been through earthquakes while on vacation, delaying flights back an whatnot (sure, not mag. 8.0, about 5-6), but I just can't seem to feel anything at all about these people calling themselves "victims".. Seriously, they survived didn't they? The "victims" in this case would be those who didn't, if you ask me.
Huh... I could go on ranting about this for a while, but for all of your convenience, I won't.

Edit: removed unnecessary comment
OosranAug 8, 2009 12:11 PM
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Aug 8, 2009 11:04 AM

Mar 2009
You know what, it took five episodes for the people to not be selfish idiots, and to care about others.

In previous episodes all we saw was pushing and being totally ignorant.
Aug 8, 2009 11:32 AM

Dec 2008
Good episode. After a few episodes of seeing just the physical effects of the earthquake, we now get to see more of the emotional impact it's had on people in terms of losing loved ones. It also helped that Mirai is actually, you know, smiling and being more empathetic.
Aug 8, 2009 11:48 AM

Aug 2008
i was going to cry! ><
that's soo sad, humans have to be strong!
Aug 8, 2009 11:53 AM

Nov 2007
Another melancholic episode.

#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net - the official IRC channel for Fate Testarossa.
Aug 8, 2009 2:56 PM

Nov 2008
Vizard said:
Another melancholic episode.

Agreed, very emotional .. drove me to tears when Mirai started feeling for the old guy. Started making me think about how rough It Is for him.

Overall, very nice episode, nice series and If you can't accept the characters for their realism then I think theres a problem. Go watch Kanokon or something

Aug 8, 2009 3:09 PM

Apr 2009
;_; Furuichi-san... wahhh I started crying... his story was so sad, especially after he said he should have died... ;_;
Aug 8, 2009 3:20 PM

Jan 2009
stickymochi said:
especially after he said he should have died... ;_;

That's just self-satisfactory thinking, if you ask me >.>
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Aug 8, 2009 3:31 PM

Oct 2008
Man, the stained-glass thing was a total reality smack in the face and kill-joy.
;-; I wept for a little while.
I'm glad that Mirai is less of a jerk in this episode.
Aug 8, 2009 4:58 PM

May 2008
poor old man, he rules !!! lols, really sad i enjoy the stories they put into this show

Awesome Sig by Lailide
Aug 8, 2009 5:17 PM

Aug 2008
This episode warmed my icy heart in the last couple of minutes...

But the stained glass was funny.
And at first the Furuichi's seemed really creepy:
"I'll take you to a special place."
"Want some candy?"

I was screaming "NO! Don't do it! They're human traffickers!"
Aug 8, 2009 5:19 PM

Jan 2009
noteDhero said:
And at first the Furuichi's seemed really creepy:
"I'll take you to a special place."
"Want some candy?"

I was screaming "NO! Don't do it! They're human traffickers!"

Hey actually, I thought about that too : o Although I didn't think it would be worth mentioning
Aug 8, 2009 5:23 PM

Aug 2008
Well, I didn't either, but between you and Wasabi stealing my thoughts, I had to use back up comments. :[
Aug 8, 2009 5:35 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Oosran said:

but I just can't seem to feel anything at all about these people calling themselves "victims".. Seriously, they survived didn't they? The "victims" in this case would be those who didn't, if you ask me.
Huh... I could go on ranting about this for a while, but for all of your convenience, I won't.

Edit: removed unnecessary comment

Dead people don't have feelings. The ones who survived do. The ones that live suffer from the loss of the dead, but the dead don't. In other words, the most painful victims are always the ones that survived.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Aug 8, 2009 5:52 PM

Dec 2008
i almost cried with the old man and his grandchildren. that was so sad.

Aug 8, 2009 6:47 PM

Apr 2008
This was a very touching episode. That old man has a lot of heart: even through his suffering, he is still able to give to those that are still struggling. There was as much emotion and heart in this episode as there was action and suspense in the previous ones. The animation is improving as well, so that's a bonus point for this episode.
Aug 8, 2009 7:36 PM

Oct 2007
wakka9ca said:
Dead people don't have feelings. The ones who survived do. The ones that live suffer from the loss of the dead, but the dead don't. In other words, the most painful victims are always the ones that survived.
Do you want me to be that painful victim, so that I can cry for you? J/K :D

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Aug 8, 2009 8:17 PM

Dec 2008
Nice bit of drama this episode...I agree it was a bit better than last episode. Pretty sad to see your friends or fellow classmates suffer like that.
Aug 8, 2009 8:44 PM

Sep 2008
Very well done and touching episode. :)
Aug 8, 2009 8:47 PM

May 2009
In stark contrast to what we've seen so far, here we got: 1) the absence bitchy/cranky Mirai, 2) very decent, kind and helpful people and 3) the absence of falling/collapsing buidings, bridges or towers. Not that I didn't enjoy the prior episodes, but this one made a more pronounced emotional impact on me. From Mr. Furoichi doing what he can to make others feel a little more comfortable despite having suffered the sudden loss of his grandchildren, to the horrible discovery Mirai made as she led Yuuki into the church to view the stained glass windows.
Aug 8, 2009 9:24 PM
Sep 2007
Loved this episode. I felt like I missed something when grandmother knew that those weren't Mari's children, but she'd know that by their appearance. Does anyone know what the soldier was pouring into the curry udon that had Mirai a little disgusted?
Sent with Mal Updater
Aug 8, 2009 9:50 PM

Jun 2007
I did cry ;A; It was such an emotional episode. I'm glad Mirai is starting to understand how the real world is.
Aug 8, 2009 10:39 PM

Jul 2008
One thing that has to happen is a run in with family. It's starting to get old, real fast. Hopefully, in the next episode they move the plot along and we get enough of this aftershock bull.

And no Yuuki facetime. Outrage!
Aug 8, 2009 10:47 PM

Jun 2007
I teared up too ;__;
Aren't there a little TOO many aftershocks? srsly...

Aug 8, 2009 11:33 PM

Oct 2007
velcom said:
Very well done and touching episode. :)
Aug 9, 2009 4:56 AM

Feb 2009
Aw, I actually cried. T_T
Aug 9, 2009 5:14 AM

Dec 2007
That episode was very sad with jii-san and his wife :(
Aug 9, 2009 7:45 AM

Jan 2008
Sad episode was sad. The soundtrack was really good.
Aug 9, 2009 10:34 AM

Dec 2008
...You people are very sensitive, almost too sensitive lol; this episode made so many cry?

Probably the episode I enjoyed the most atm; very nice pace and it didn't have annoying elements. I didn't even mind that the brat-girl was nice now, since after living what she lived up to now, it'd be more annoying/stupid if she didn't change. There wasn't anything 'surprising', and it was quite predictable, that's probably the biggest downside, imo.

4/5, still.

Lol @ the people who actually thought the old guy worked in the black market with children/adults.
HakoriaAug 9, 2009 10:43 AM
「Godspeed You! Black Emperor」
Aug 9, 2009 1:11 PM
Mar 2009
Good episode, that old couple had it bad and so did Mirai's classmate. You can only truly be strong through the pain of loss and I think that's what the old man is trying to reflect on the kids.
Aug 9, 2009 1:40 PM
Feb 2009
This episode was so fucking depressing. Damn, it really got me.
Aug 9, 2009 5:14 PM

May 2009
Nice break from the chain of bad events our three characters encountered, it was sad, touching and showed that there are people out there who care about the others and want to do everything they can to help them.

Furuichi's story was very sad, I was impressed by his ability to help after his loss (he must have a stong will), even if I think it's a good thing for him, keeping his mind of the tragedy he just lived.
Aug 9, 2009 5:27 PM

May 2009
I felt so bad for the grandma and was stunned when I saw the church. I am glad that Mirai is more accepting of Mari now.
-=Dear gravity don't let me go, hold me like the winter holds the cold=-
Aug 9, 2009 7:31 PM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
yes, yes it was sad. this whole series is quite sad.

anyways, I think it's a bit ironic that there was an real 6.9 earthquake this morning 200 miles from Japan o.o
p r o f i l e 👀
Aug 9, 2009 8:28 PM
Mar 2008
Hakoria said:
...You people are very sensitive, almost too sensitive lol; this episode made so many cry?

Probably the episode I enjoyed the most atm; very nice pace and it didn't have annoying elements. I didn't even mind that the brat-girl was nice now, since after living what she lived up to now, it'd be more annoying/stupid if she didn't change. There wasn't anything 'surprising', and it was quite predictable, that's probably the biggest downside, imo.

4/5, still.

Full ack ;) Though i find it equally hilarious anyone even comes close to tears with only this shallow drama... i shudder to think what flood people would cause if they'd all watch Air. (as in anime, not the air ;p)

Characters for the first time ever were realistic - but the drama is weak with this one. If this is a catastrophe it must be the one where cotton balls crush you because i don't see any blood anywhere. Also funny, all cars on the streets suddenly disappeared... You'd also think there'd be more military vehicles around for transport of food etc.

Well but it was the best episode yet ;)

Though apart from the local - it remains that this is the most inefficient and unrealistic emergency response ever.
Aug 9, 2009 8:43 PM

Jun 2009
The episode was very teary and I feel sorry for the 2 seniors

The brown liquid pouring into the curry cracked me up because of the reaction of Mirai
Live well - Laugh often - and Love much

Aug 9, 2009 9:19 PM

Aug 2008
Gramps is a total badass with a heart o' gold!
Aug 10, 2009 7:03 AM
Observer

Nov 2007
eRe4s3r said:

Full ack ;) Though i find it equally hilarious anyone even comes close to tears with only this shallow drama... i shudder to think what flood people would cause if they'd all watch Air. (as in anime, not the air ;p)

The level of realism between TM8.0 and Air is still a bit different. And that mere difference could mean whether people shed tears or not. Yes, Air is more dramatic, just like Clannad After Story is (they are both written by KEY), but it is not as touching (because it's a fantasy drama). Drama != Touchingly sad

No matter how flawed TM8.0 is, it still is based on realism, whereas Air doesn't have that. And it doesn't focus only on the main characters using the "Greek tragedy" model. TM8.0 focuses more less egoistical theme and small touching details on the side characters.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Aug 10, 2009 9:14 AM

Jan 2009
damn man, i almost cried when furuichi says
"i should've been the one who dies... i want the young lives..."

damn it's so touching !
Aug 10, 2009 2:19 PM

Jun 2009
Great touching episode, much better than the last one. I was so sad at the end... T_T
Aug 10, 2009 2:28 PM

Dec 2008
wakka9ca said:
The level of realism between TM8.0 and Air is still a bit different. And that mere difference could mean whether people shed tears or not. Yes, Air is more dramatic, just like Clannad After Story is (they are both written by KEY), but it is not as touching (because it's a fantasy drama). Drama != Touchingly sad

No matter how flawed TM8.0 is, it still is based on realism, whereas Air doesn't have that. And it doesn't focus only on the main characters using the "Greek tragedy" model. TM8.0 focuses more less egoistical theme and small touching details on the side characters.

Besides the unrealistic small-parts KEY always has with their characters/story, the rest is completely realistic, when it comes to their situation/what happens to them/what happened to them/etc, and that's why people shed tears for those animes. I don't consider the drama in KEY's animes to be fantasy, since the drama itself lies within the real aspect and not the fantasy one (main exception would be a certain arc in Kanon 2006). Just wanted to make it clear on how I see it,
They are also good at moving people because the link you have with the concerned character is built up very well (especially if you marathon, since you love someone and not even 2 hours later you're rendered speechless and feel like stabbing someone else, or however you like releasing your frustrations| I'm not even going to mention the use of their amazing music tracks, that's also something that shouldn't be overlooked, and people have mentioned familiar things for this episode); TM.8 has done that in it's previous episodes though. What TM.8 did with this episode is indeed quite different than the more usual drama-oriented animes/stories, but there are also animes that have done better in that category.

What I mean with all of that: TM.8 does it good, but it didn't stand out in any category atm, which is why seeing people be moved this much (to the point of crying) is surprising. I know that all of that depends with the person, but I'm just stating one of my thoughts.

Like eRe4s3r said, Air is a good example, but Kimi ga Nozomu Eien is a better example if you want something that's realist (no fantasy side-story), touchingly sad (it occurs more than we'd want, sadly, so a lot might feel connected to it this way (just as how people are moved by the earthquake scenario because they live on the Californian coast)), and doesn't concentrate on just 1 main girl in general (it's not by KEY, that explains the last thing). Some VNs are also good in the realism (no-fantasy drama), but after choosing a certain girl, I don't know many which still concentrate/talk about the other girls more than only a couple of times in 2-3 hours of reading text.

If you take an overall look at those 'multiple-girls 1-guy' animes, most of the girls which don't end up with the main char are important for a few eps, then pretty much gone for the rest of the anime; I'd consider them side-characters too, since a main one would demand to actually be important/present the entire show and not just one arc, IMO, (or at least have a very important influence/action done in the first half that would mean you can't forget him by the time the second half is done)

Anyway, I agree that it's quite hard to find a sad story about small side characters unless you do a general aspect of people's situation. So it was a nice change seeing Bones do this.
HakoriaAug 10, 2009 2:37 PM
Aug 10, 2009 3:41 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Hakoria said:

Besides the unrealistic small-parts KEY always has with their characters/story, the rest is completely realistic, when it comes to their situation/what happens to them/what happened to them/etc, and that's why people shed tears for those animes.

But that aspect of the main girl dying from either a mysterious incurable disease or due to some fantasy-related twisted fate no longer fall into the category of standard realism. Of course, this does not mean the series are bad, it just means it's not the same as TM8.0.

Hakoria said:

Like eRe4s3r said, Air is a good example, but Kimi ga Nozomu Eien is a better example if you want something that's realist (no fantasy side-story), touchingly sad (it occurs more than we'd want, sadly, so a lot might feel connected to it this way (just as how people are moved by the earthquake scenario because they live on the Californian coast)), and doesn't concentrate on just 1 main girl in general (it's not by KEY, that explains the last thing).

No offense, but the main male protagonist of Kimi ga nozumu Eien destroyed the series. I've come to hate him as much as Shinji from NGE. It completely destroyed any possibility of me being "touched" by the series...I wouldn't have cared if all the characters horribly died (maybe except Mitsuki)

Hakoria said:

If you take an overall look at those 'multiple-girls 1-guy' animes, most of the girls which don't end up with the main char are important for a few eps, then pretty much gone for the rest of the anime; I'd consider them side-characters too, since a main one would demand to actually be important/present the entire show and not just one arc, IMO, (or at least have a very important influence/action done in the first half that would mean you can't forget him by the time the second half is done)

I think it's just me who has a grudge against harem series that try so hard to be realistic, dramatic and sad (yeah, Clannad AS was sad I admit it). Strange because I usually can watch fantasy harem comedy to SOME extent....I think the main reason is that I often find the main male character annoying as hell (not really true for Clannad though, but I still was a bit not impressed). Anyway, I personally find TM8.0 more touching because they focus on often trivial details and there are no exaggerated "Greek tragedy" as in all of KEY's works.....
bla bla bla
Niko-kun said:
Aug 10, 2009 4:05 PM

Dec 2008
We'll see if TM8.0 continues with that realist drama though; the series is far from finished, and some parts might give the idea that they might exaggerate soon, but that's just imo.

Eh, I'll reply to the key/greek-tragedy discussion on your profile if you don't mind, since it might go off-topic here.
Aug 10, 2009 4:08 PM

Aug 2008
I'm on wakka's side. Kimi ga nozumu Eien is a loathsome series, and like him, I can't really stand the Key series because it's all so forumlaic and obvious. It's easier to surprise viewers within one episode with cameos than it is with a big cast and arced/serialized stories.
Aug 10, 2009 4:29 PM

Oct 2007
I am second that, I know my score of those Key series are high but it doesn't matter because the point is that I agree with wakka9ca, excepted Kimi ga Nozomu Eien since I haven't seen it yet.

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

kashim - Sep 17, 2009

506 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 22, 2023 11:11 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Sporkness - Sep 10, 2009

214 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 22, 2023 10:42 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

UnknownFact - Sep 4, 2009

134 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 22, 2023 10:05 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

HawthorneKitty - Aug 27, 2009

180 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 22, 2023 9:12 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

porkypink - Aug 21, 2009

112 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 22, 2023 8:31 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.