Forum Settings
Forums

Why do so many anime fans here think people who prefer older anime only like them for nostalgia factor?

New
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »
Feb 19, 2014 9:51 AM

Jun 2013
I wouldn't say that for older anime but for long running shows definitely there is huge nostalgia factor.
Feb 19, 2014 10:07 AM

Oct 2010
ButNotForMe said:
kon started the trend of moe without substance (motherfucking tea)

Kon is one of the best anime directors of the last decade. K-On! is a comedy.
Feb 19, 2014 10:08 AM

Feb 2010
Vexper said:
Because people on this forum seem to be overly protective of their own tastes and are very close minded towards other peoples preferences. Calling other peoples tastes 'shit' and telling you the reasons why you watch those animes occur mindlessly on a daily basis. So what if you prefer older anime, it doesn't have to be for simply 'nostalgia'. It's a whole different kettle of fish when you compare modern day animes and some of the works that came out during the 90s. I can't even begin to fathom why people just pin the reasoning for you liking them due to overusage of nostalgia goggles.

They're a different breed of anime, a whole other set of aesthetics. I myself prefer the background artwork for a lot of the older animes because it feels like they have a lot of heart in them, and they're not just part of a formula to create a setting. Nothing to do with nostalgia, just personal preference.

Basically a good post, but even reasonable posts like this seem to imply that you have to have a preferance. It's not always about preferring older anime or preferring newer anime, I just want to be able to like them as equals ^^.

@Korrvo: Yeah, the most/some thing would have made it sound less offensive to me. Most always makes me think of unjust generalizations. The devil lies in the details of semantics :>.
I probably regret this post by now.
Feb 19, 2014 10:38 AM

Nov 2013
Higashi_no_Kaze said:

Basically a good post, but even reasonable posts like this seem to imply that you have to have a preferance. It's not always about preferring older anime or preferring newer anime, I just want to be able to like them as equals ^^.

Apologies, I feel the same way, you can like both equally, and certainly like both without having to justify why.

I should of brought that up but I was more addressing the thread title than anything!
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Feb 19, 2014 12:34 PM

Nov 2011
ButNotForMe said:
Both KON and LS sold better than Azumanga Daioh because they had more moe elements, not because they were funnier

...You know what, I won't even bother with this post.

skyzblue said:

That's like less than 1% of the newer anime. Also, compare the best of newer anime and older anime, and you can clearly see the winner.

New anime?

ButNotForMe said:
The Anime industry is shrinking
There is no more variety

No, its not. We are getting more anime than ever.

Around 47~ new shows in winter, and so far 53 new shows have been announced for for spring.

I mean jesus, how much ignorance can 1 thread have?

Mod Edit: double post merged.
ThangLongFeb 21, 2014 8:30 AM

My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link
Feb 19, 2014 12:43 PM

Feb 2010
rederoin said:
skyzblue said:

That's like less than 1% of the newer anime. Also, compare the best of newer anime and older anime, and you can clearly see the winner.

New anime?

Breaking Bad, obviously.

@Vexper: Well, the debate as a whole kinda seems to imply that you have to 'pick sides' and either you like the one and bash the other or vice versa. So no need to apologise, just try to spread love and equality from now on ^^.

Why can't people just be fans of anime as a whole, as a medium, but always have to cherrypick time periods, genres or other random criteria to set them apart from other anime fans?
Feb 19, 2014 12:48 PM

Jan 2014
I suppose there's a nostalgia factor involved, but I don't think that it's as big as some people make it out to be. When I rate an anime highly, it's not because of nostalgia, it's because of the other elements there that make it enjoyable to watch.

What it comes down to the most is personal preference, in my opinion.
Feb 19, 2014 1:01 PM

Feb 2013
Simply put, you simply can't hate something that you've watched 10 or more years ago. For the newcomers it may seem strange, but it is true. There are series I liked so much 10/15 years ago and later found out to be actually mediocre. However, even now, I still praise them. Yes, nostalgia plays a big factor.
BernkastleFeb 19, 2014 1:24 PM
Aliis si licet, tibi non licet.
Feb 19, 2014 1:15 PM

Nov 2013
I don't really think that. Though something you use to like when you were 12 probably wouldn't appeal to you as much now, however old you are.

I can see you

Feb 19, 2014 2:53 PM

Dec 2012
Higashi_no_Kaze said:

Why can't people just be fans of anime as a whole, as a medium, but always have to cherrypick time periods, genres or other random criteria to set them apart from other anime fans?

Human nature unfortunately. The old vs new is an age old controversy that spreads across nearly everything. The generation before is almost always riddled with those who think the next generation is doing life wrong.

People from the 60s think people from the 70s wear the wrong clothes. People from the 70s think people from the 80s don't do enough drugs. People from the 80s think people from the 90s should grow up and stop watching Pokemon. People from the 90s think moeshit is killing the industry. And my guess is people today will be frowning on regular CGI use in anime 10 years from now.
Feb 19, 2014 2:59 PM

Mar 2013
Ratohnhaketon said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:

Human nature unfortunately. The old vs new is an age old controversy that spreads across nearly everything. The generation before is almost always riddled with those who think the next generation is doing life wrong.

People from the 60s think people from the 70s wear the wrong clothes. People from the 70s think people from the 80s don't do enough drugs. People from the 80s think people from the 90s should grow up and stop watching Pokemon. People from the 90s think moeshit is killing the industry. And my guess is people today will be frowning on regular CGI use in anime 10 years from now.

i was actually thinking about what we will be complaining about 10 years from now and couldnt think of anything but your CGI comment makes perfect sense
Just because you know how to use a torrent does not give you the god given right to pirate.

My actual list: https://kitsu.io/users/mattbenz99/library

check out my youtube channel for my review: https://www.youtube.com/user/mattbenz99

Feb 19, 2014 3:01 PM

Feb 2013
CGI will ruin anime. That is for certain.
Aliis si licet, tibi non licet.
Feb 19, 2014 3:06 PM

Feb 2010
People already complain about CGI at every opportunity. No need to wait 10 more years. The future has arrived, I guess.
Feb 19, 2014 3:06 PM

Mar 2013
sherlock5545 said:

i cant wait to bitch about that when i am as old as some of the grandpas in this thread only to be told that i am only saying that because of nostalgia
Just because you know how to use a torrent does not give you the god given right to pirate.

check out my youtube channel for my review: https://www.youtube.com/user/mattbenz99

Feb 19, 2014 3:15 PM

Jul 2012
The future has certainly arrived and it stomped allover my favorite series

good thing i have 2 different Berserk series boxsets lol
Feb 19, 2014 3:28 PM

Dec 2012
mattbenz99 said:
sherlock5545 said:

i cant wait to bitch about that when i am as old as some of the grandpas in this thread only to be told that i am only saying that because of nostalgia

I don't really mind CGI in small doses, but I think I'd definitely quit keeping up with the current anime if everything started going Tokyo Raven with it. It's like Japan's version of Who Framed Roger Rabbit.
Feb 19, 2014 4:02 PM

Nov 2011
I'd like to thank the people who are addressing the topic at hand instead of engaging in a worthless debate about new or old anime being better.

Also I really hate the argument about how we remember the good and forget the bad. I really don't see its relevance when looking a your favorite anime since the bad don't have any effect on that.
Feb 19, 2014 4:05 PM

Dec 2012
keragamming said:

Bebob sucks!! At least give me some list of these classic old anime, that's better than this generation. It all comes down to opinion, and my opinion says cow boy bebob sucks :)

This post gave me

Feb 19, 2014 4:06 PM

Feb 2014
daintybiscuit said:

What manga is that avatar from?
When having a conversation with me, or debate, don't be sexes.
Feb 19, 2014 4:13 PM

Jul 2011
Raven_Baby-Gurl said:
daintybiscuit said:

It's in his post
Feb 19, 2014 4:13 PM

Mar 2013
Karote said:
keragamming said:

Bebob sucks!! At least give me some list of these classic old anime, that's better than this generation. It all comes down to opinion, and my opinion says cow boy bebob sucks :)

This post gave me

why do you have allergies to the truth?

Feb 19, 2014 4:23 PM

Nov 2011
Raven_Baby-Gurl said:
daintybiscuit said:

Its from the Berserk manga which is the number 1 ranked manga on MAL. Its not my all time favorite but its damn good. Much better than the second highest ranked manga on MAL which I have no idea how it got that high >.>
Feb 19, 2014 4:27 PM

Jun 2011
BlackSabotage said:
Raven_Baby-Gurl said:
daintybiscuit said:

Its from the Berserk manga which is the number 1 ranked manga on MAL. Its not my all time favorite but its damn good. Much better than the second highest ranked manga on MAL which I have no idea how it got that high >.>

Berserk is awesome. I do hope that Miura finds a great way to end it... it'll become legendary. The second manga isn't that good? I suppose romance doesn't appeal to everyone but I haven't read it yet so I can't say anything yet.

Feb 19, 2014 4:35 PM

Dec 2012
mattbenz99 said:
Karote said:
keragamming said:

This post gave me

You haven't even seen Cowboy Bebop , gtfo.
Feb 19, 2014 4:45 PM

Nov 2011
SolBlade said:
BlackSabotage said:
Raven_Baby-Gurl said:
daintybiscuit said:

Berserk is awesome. I do hope that Miura finds a great way to end it... it'll become legendary. The second manga isn't that good? I suppose romance doesn't appeal to everyone but I haven't read it yet so I can't say anything yet.

Its not a romance its more a tragedy. I didn't mean it was bad but certainly not good enough to be ranked second.
Feb 19, 2014 4:53 PM

Mar 2013
Karote said:
mattbenz99 said:
Karote said:
keragamming said:

This post gave me

You haven't even seen Cowboy Bebop , gtfo.

yes i have... well most of it. i got so bored that i dropped it at roughly episode 16 (you can actually find it in my dropped list).

Feb 19, 2014 5:05 PM

Nov 2011
I dropped Code Geass on the first episode. I didn't think it was worth mentioning that on my Mal though.

Mod Note: Quote Tower Removed.
rodacFeb 20, 2014 8:49 PM
Feb 19, 2014 5:09 PM

Mar 2013
yes but just watching the first episode isnt really giving the show a chance. i gave cowboy bebop 16 episodes and if i dont like a 26 episode show after 16 episodes odds are the show likely wont be changing my mind

rodacFeb 20, 2014 8:50 PM

Feb 19, 2014 5:16 PM

Nov 2011
I wasn't saying anything was wrong with that. Just felt like mentioning sometimes a first impression can be so bad that you cringe at the idea of continuing on.

rodacFeb 20, 2014 8:50 PM
Feb 19, 2014 5:18 PM

Mar 2013
yes i know and i have given anime second chances before but bebop i have given 3 chances (first when i had just started watching anime(first time i ever dropped a show) second time when someone recommended it to me and third time when i just kept hearing people speak endless praise for this show) and it just never gets better.

Mod Note: Quote tower removed.
rodacFeb 20, 2014 8:47 PM

Feb 19, 2014 5:20 PM

Sep 2012
Kinda in the same boat. It's pretty hard for me to get past the episodic nature of the show, when that is it's main strong point, supposedly.

I mean, I don't dislike it, but there's nothing driving me to watch the rest of the show.
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Feb 19, 2014 5:27 PM

Jun 2011
Korrvo said:
Kinda in the same boat. It's pretty hard for me to get past the episodic nature of the show, when that is it's main strong point, supposedly.

I mean, I don't dislike it, but there's nothing driving me to watch the rest of the show.

I could spoil the ending for you to try and get you into it, but that would be evil.

Feb 19, 2014 5:29 PM

Sep 2012
SolBlade said:
Korrvo said:

I could spoil the ending for you to try and get you into it, but that would be evil.
psh

someone already FKIN spoiled it for me...

*bang*
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Feb 19, 2014 5:34 PM

Mar 2013
SolBlade said:
Korrvo said:

bebop has in my opinion one of the most spoiled endings in all of anime

Feb 19, 2014 5:40 PM

Sep 2012
Probably not too far off the mark there.

"Hey, do you watch anime?"

"Yes."

"K, this is Bebop's ending: [censored]"

" http://i.imgur.com/KcG61JT.gif "

Fuck people sometimes.
Feb 19, 2014 5:55 PM

Jan 2008
Pretty late reply but I wouldn't say it's the nostalgia that bothers me about those people who only enjoy older shows but rather the mindset of those who enjoy older shows only believing that they're the only good shows and everything modern is complete shit.
Feb 19, 2014 5:58 PM

Jul 2012
I just watch whatever I feel like watching.

Probably because people brag about that specific thing about that old anime.
Feb 19, 2014 5:59 PM

Nov 2011
Paul said:
Pretty late reply but I wouldn't say it's the nostalgia that bothers me about those people who only enjoy older shows but rather the mindset of those who enjoy older shows only believing that they're the only good shows and everything modern is complete shit.
Isn't it just as common if not more so to find people with the mindset that all old anime is crap?
Feb 19, 2014 6:02 PM

Oct 2011
While it's true that some are only for the nostalgia factor, I like to enjoy older anime because I like to take a break from the modern ones.
Feb 19, 2014 6:02 PM

Mar 2013
BlackSabotage said:
Paul said:
Isn't it just as common if not more so to find people with the mindset that all old anime is crap?

in my experience only when comparing animation quality because a lot of the new viewers have been spoiled with great looking animation and have a hard time looking at old animation (i have this problem with video games).

Feb 19, 2014 6:10 PM

Nov 2011
mattbenz99 said:
BlackSabotage said:
Paul said:

in my experience only when comparing animation quality because a lot of the new viewers have been spoiled with great looking animation and have a hard time looking at old animation (i have this problem with video games).
But the idea that newer animation is great looking and older animation is crappy is just an opinion. I think most feel this way because the refuse to give older animation a shot. Its like they won't even try I mean I admit it took me a while to get used to Hokuto no kens art.
Feb 19, 2014 6:19 PM

Aug 2013
I am very glad this thread was created because as a DBZ fan I experience this a lot. People thinking the only reason I like DBZ is because of nostalgia. Liking an anime only or mainly because of nostalgia is absurd to me. So you like a an anime just because you used to watch it as a kid no other reason. When you were a kid there must of been some reasons why you specifically liked that anime. IMO people who only liked an anime because of nostalgia never genuinely liked the anime or are incapable of fully expressing why they liked the anime. When it comes to me nostalgia alone can't make me like an anime. For example take my top 4 childhood anime (DBZ, Yu -Gi -OH, Rurouni Kenshin and Tekkaman Blade)

I like DBZ because it has a perfect amalgam of sci fi and fantasy elements that isn't very common in other anime, it has some of the most unique aliens in fiction, it can fluctuate from being serious (Saiyan saga, Frieza saga etc) to completely silly(Buu saga), it has really unique characters like Cell, Buu and Piccolo and intense fights although they are long and dragged out because of fillers.

I like Yu - Gi -OH because it includes aspects of ancient Egyptian mythology and there are games of life and death. I like seeing the different yami no games and the rules and penalty games (punishments) that are associated with them, the Pharaoh's past also intrigued me.

I like Rurouni Kenshin because of the historical setting that is mainly devoid of magic and other supernatural elements thus giving it a realistic feeling and I also liked that some actual historical events were included. I really liked the animation used for the sword fights and the soundtrack, Kenshin's back story also intrigued me. I yearned to know the history of this former hitokiri now turned pacifist.

I like Tekkaman Blade because of the main idea of the villains being the protagonist's
Feb 19, 2014 6:26 PM

Nov 2011
DrGeroCreation said:
I am very glad this thread was created because as a DBZ fan I experience this a lot. People thinking the only reason I like DBZ is because of nostalgia. Liking an anime only or mainly because of nostalgia is absurd to me. So you like a an anime just because you used to watch it as a kid no other reason. When you were a kid there must of been some reasons why you specifically liked that anime. IMO people who only liked an anime because of nostalgia never genuinely liked the anime or are incapable of fully expressing why they liked the anime. When it comes to me nostalgia alone can't make me like an anime. For example take my top 4 childhood anime (DBZ, Yu -Gi -OH, Rurouni Kenshin and Tekkaman Blade)

I like DBZ because it has a perfect amalgam of sci fi and fantasy elements that isn't very common in other anime, it has some of the most unique aliens in fiction, it can fluctuate from being serious (Saiyan saga, Frieza saga etc) to completely silly(Buu saga), it has really unique characters like Cell, Buu and Piccolo and intense fights although they are long and dragged out because of fillers.

I like Yu - Gi -OH because it includes aspects of ancient Egyptian mythology and there are games of life and death. I like seeing the different yami no games and the rules and penalty games (punishments) that are associated with them, the Pharaoh's past also intrigued me.

I like Rurouni Kenshin because of the historical setting that is mainly devoid of magic and other supernatural elements thus giving it a realistic feeling and I also liked that some actual historical events were included. I really liked the animation used for the sword fights and the soundtrack, Kenshin's back story also intrigued me. I yearned to know the history of this former hitokiri now turned pacifist.

I like Tekkaman Blade because of the main idea of the villains being the protagonist's

Do you like Dragon Quest?
Feb 19, 2014 6:27 PM

Jan 2008
BlackSabotage said:
Paul said:

The kind of people who constantly trash on older anime will probably never watch a old anime to begin with, especially with all the new stuff constantly coming out, they'll only stick with the new. But on the other hand, people who've seen and enjoyed old shows will at the very least still watch new shows. The problem are the ones that force themselves watch so they can point out reasons why older anime is superior by targeting generic titles to use as a comparison which is easy to do considering the amount of generic shows airing now to back then on a seasonal basis.

For example, a certain someone constantly comparing older anime's superior 'quality' using old anime movies/ovas to modern TV series animation. Yea, if you know who I'm talking about, you know who.
PaulFeb 19, 2014 6:32 PM
Feb 19, 2014 6:30 PM

Aug 2013
BlackSabotage said:
DrGeroCreation said:

I can't answer that because I have never watched the anime or played the games.
Feb 19, 2014 6:33 PM

Nov 2011
DrGeroCreation said:
BlackSabotage said:
DrGeroCreation said:

I can't answer that because I have never watched the anime or played the games.
Same guy who did the art for Dragon ball does the art and monster design for Dragon Quest. Just me or does my avatar look mistakable for a DBZ character?
Feb 19, 2014 6:34 PM
Jul 2018
Nostalgia plays a part, no matter what someone says in my opinion. How large of a part is questionable, but there really are individuals out there who just watch want they want. I go about my anime time in this way usually, but nostalgia can still get the better of me at times.
Feb 19, 2014 6:35 PM

Nov 2011
Paul said:
BlackSabotage said:
Paul said:

The kind of people who constantly trash on older anime will probably never watch a old anime to begin with, especially with all the new stuff constantly coming out, they'll only stick with the new. But on the other hand, people who've seen and enjoyed old shows will at the very least still watch new shows. The problem are the ones that force themselves watch so they can point out reasons why older anime is superior by targeting generic titles to use as a comparison which is easy to do considering the amount of generic shows airing now to back then on a seasonal basis.

For example, a certain someone constantly comparing older anime's superior 'quality' using old anime movies/ovas to modern TV series animation. Yea, if you know who I'm talking about, you know who.
My point is both are equally bad.
Feb 19, 2014 6:36 PM

Nov 2011
Aylaine said:
Nostalgia plays a part, no matter what someone says in my opinion. How large of a part is questionable, but there really are individuals out there who just watch want they want. I go about my anime time in this way usually, but nostalgia can still get the better of me at times.
How can nostalgia play a part of something that was not a part of my childhood?
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » So, is anime male or female?

Tirinchas - Apr 22

42 by Suntanned_Duck2 »»
3 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

70 by PostMahouShoujo »»
5 minutes ago

» Do you fantasize about anime while you sleep?

Alpha_1_Zero - 9 hours ago

21 by Vendicator »»
8 minutes ago

» Did you know that anime is amazing?

KryzakamiHrybami - Yesterday

17 by Suntanned_Duck2 »»
8 minutes ago

» is ur fave genre ur most watched genre ?

ame - Yesterday

24 by Suntanned_Duck2 »»
21 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.