Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 18, 2008 7:36 PM

Nov 2004
Hmm. A bit confusing but I won't judge the series from a confusing first episode when a lot of other series also had unexplained and highly confusing time jumps smack bam in the first ep. While I normally find that these confusing first eps turn out to be awesome once you get into the series and finally figure out what is going on, it's quite a turn off to those who normally review new shows by a few eps and drop it if they don't like it.

The OP is rather pleasant I have to say, I like the first half of it. The second half (I assume the chorus) with the Engrish was rather "meh" though.
Jan 27, 2008 2:16 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Huh, how could I miss this. xD

Funny episode, I'm really liking the quick humor of the conversations. Rhazel is cute so I'm defnitely going to catch up now.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Feb 24, 2008 3:24 PM

May 2007
Not sure if i will continue too.
It seems one of those anime with good art but random plot which in the last 2 episodes the find some random final boss, kill him/help him/etc and its over without any meaning or anything else.
If i´m aiming 4 good art and good story i rather stick with Spice & Wolf, Kino no Tabi, or Shinigami no Ballad...

Actually, after writing this, i´m dropping this.
I had high hopes for it. Too bad you can´t judge a book by its cover...
(Too bad i already downloaded 6 episodes. Well, nothing that the Delete button can´t solve.)

P.S.: Its not like i´m dropping it just because of the story... I damn hate those types of quiet emo main character, Honda-type female lead, and some good 4 nothing guy who is supposed to be some random character who likes the main heroine, althought i didn´t like the fact that they used lot of different types of clichê even excluding those characters...
Apr 1, 2008 8:08 PM

Nov 2007
My first thought was like "whats that for an strange anime" xD but somehow i like it~ Its funny and interesting

Apr 22, 2008 9:00 AM

Jul 2007
interesting, definitely gonna watch this >_< i luv to be confused, haha..in a good way though~~
May 21, 2008 8:46 PM
Apr 2008
just watched the first episode and it was a revelation. I love the frantic storytelling, Rahzel is awesome and the knowing use of cliches is juicy. if you think this episode was poor, you probably need to relax a little, because i reckon you're trying to take it for more than it's trying to be.
May 29, 2008 7:27 AM

May 2008
weird episode it kept jumping from one event to the next and back again. mabey my version was jumbled =S otherwise it was a apretty funny and enjoyable episode. 7/10 for 1st episode.
Oct 8, 2008 12:26 PM

May 2008
Meh, it was okay. Could be better.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Jan 12, 2009 8:16 PM

Jun 2008
lowell said:
I don't understand... did I miss an episode or something?

I kept on stopping and rewinding a little to make sure I hadn't fallen asleep and missed something. It was like, Huh? When did they become friends? Huh? Why does she have to take a journey? Huh? Where did that guy come from? Am I supposed to know who he is already? Where was, like, half that episode???

Holy crap, I am so glad I'm not the only one that felt that way!

Jun 27, 2009 4:28 AM

May 2008
didnt look very appealing to me but i might just get hooked on

Awesome Sig by Lailide
Aug 16, 2009 6:16 AM

Sep 2008
Animation was all right. Male characters seem pretty cliche and typical... But I guess the story seems interesting enough. The girl is an interesting character - and I like her magical powers and just... inner strength and everything.

Well I've started watching it already so I'm not going to drop it... Only 10 episodes anyway. Who knows? It might turn out to be a better series than the first episode seems to indicate.
Aug 19, 2009 1:19 AM

Feb 2008
this series could have been so good, but they just mangled everything into an incomprehensible mess :(

and I really liked this arc too :(

definitely dropping this before it gets any worse.
Nov 14, 2009 4:18 PM

Sep 2009
I liked it, I hope it will get better in the 9 episodes that remain.
Nov 16, 2009 9:50 PM

Jun 2009
I thought it was funny. Though, I do agree that the random jumps from scene to scene were jarring and not done well. However, I have the habit of not dropping anything. So, I'll continue watching. Besides, it's only 10 episodes.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Feb 27, 2010 12:06 AM

Jan 2010
For some reason, the incredibly fast pacing didn't feel jarring to me at all. I'm not sure why, but I was able to go along with the sheer eccentricity of it all.
Very quirky characters, and lots of great dialogue. It was very frantic, yet I never felt confused.
I really like the main character. She's hilarious.
Sep 25, 2010 6:06 AM

Oct 2008
Bishie alert. :3

But.. I got confused, when did Baroqueheat get introduced? :S
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Dec 4, 2010 10:23 AM

Jun 2009
The storytelling is topsy-turvy, everything was thrown in your face out of nothing; feels like something’s missing even if it can be understood. It has a nice quirky humor.

The art is pretty standard and the music’s good. The characters seem like plain stereotypes, although Rahzel is a strong main character, but I won’t judge based on the first episode, there are still nine episodes for development. This might end up being very enjoyable.
I think, then procrastinate.
Therefore, I am.
Apr 21, 2011 12:42 AM

Dec 2007
Not bad. Guess I'll kill some time with this.
Jul 26, 2012 10:28 AM

Apr 2009
Pretty 'meh' so far. I see severe pacing problems :P Or it's just me used to less abrupt plot progression. I'll keep watching, but it didn't have that oomph it should have to make me anticipate the next episode.
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
Jul 27, 2012 3:14 PM

Jul 2012
Episode 1, was really good IMO (if you forget about the details of how Baroqueheat started traveling w/ Rahzel and Alzeid) ^.^

And after finishing this anime, I truly enjoyed watching Hatenkou Yuugi! Rahzel isn't the typical "shy, weak, and clumsy" character at all; really liked that part of the anime, not to mention the two companions she travels with (the two had awesome personalities too ^^).
Feb 19, 2013 4:44 PM
Aug 2011
Drengot said:
This anime is only for those people who have read the manga. You wouldn't understand a thing here unless you've the manga.. lol =P

Well damn.
I started figuring that after I saw the other guy on the roof and then no explanation whatsoever on him.

Oh well only 9 episodes left so I might as well keep on trucking.
Jan 27, 2014 12:58 PM

May 2012
Impressive first episode if you ask me, this sure took my attention directly as it had a nice setting and atmosphere! So let's see what this story will offer us!
Jun 15, 2014 10:10 PM

Apr 2012
I love how theyre so straightforward and blunt
Jul 10, 2016 7:05 PM

Jun 2011
Huhh... Why didn't Barroqueheat get a proper introduction in the anime? If I remember correctly he popped in around chapter 5-10 in the manga.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hatenkou Yuugi Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Ria - Mar 26, 2008

70 by happyhellhound »»
Jul 23, 2023 12:45 PM

Poll: » Hatenkou Yuugi Episode 3 Discussion

Yandere - Jan 19, 2008

33 by E_Creator »»
Sep 8, 2022 5:06 PM

Poll: » Hatenkou Yuugi Episode 6 Discussion

Yandere - Feb 15, 2008

29 by SomeBUDDY999 »»
Dec 21, 2019 9:58 AM

» will there be a new season?

sushilovesnori - Sep 21, 2008

19 by ClumsyOrange »»
Apr 9, 2018 11:46 AM

Poll: » Hatenkou Yuugi Episode 2 Discussion

Yandere - Jan 18, 2008

34 by removed-user »»
Apr 27, 2017 9:15 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.