Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Spice and Wolf (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jul 30, 2009 10:38 AM

Jun 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Damn it, her name is indeed 'Holo' but I still refuse to accept it. It was a good episode, I can't wait to see how the 'duel' between Lawrence and Amati turns out.
LunaNov 13, 2012 4:56 AM
Jul 30, 2009 10:58 AM

Dec 2008
Mhm.

Have to wait another week.
Jul 30, 2009 11:16 AM

Feb 2008
bah she totally shouldnt get it all out on lawrence, whats his foult?
Jul 30, 2009 12:18 PM

Aug 2007
drnickpl said:
bah she totally shouldnt get it all out on lawrence, whats his foult?
That he didn't tell her earlier about Yoitsu, most likely. But I agree, Horo ís overreacting. Have to agree, I still prefer Horo above the Holo writing...

Loved the evil eyes of Lawrence. Amarty finally realizes that counting on the contract with Horo is pretty risky. Lawrence is still in a pinch, but I guess he can make some deal with the alchemists... At least he perked up a bit.
Dutch anime blogger with a love for Ikuhara's antics and proper storytelling.
Jul 30, 2009 12:32 PM

Jul 2009
Amarty goes DOWN!!! After having seen this ep I got my hope in Lawrence back! He will defnetly pull off some big thing and smash Amarty. I cant stand that girlish looking guy anyway.
Jul 30, 2009 12:37 PM

Jun 2009
I also think that amarty will go down. this was a good episode, we learned finally what Lawrence plans to do to stop Amarty, although the episode could have had more Horo. Is it just me or do all of these episodes seem to fly by in five minutes?
Jul 30, 2009 12:44 PM

Nov 2007
Well that was a lot of dialogue. Lawrence seems jealous, coo'.

#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net - the official IRC channel for Fate Testarossa.
Jul 30, 2009 12:55 PM

Mar 2008
It seems pretty obvious which way this is going, though I am still thinking there will be a little twist on the way until they will continue travelling.

That was a nice episode with lots of strategy and gambling. Almost like watching Death Note or Kaiji.

Too bad it's another cliffhanger.
Jul 30, 2009 1:03 PM

Jan 2008
Almost no Horo this episode xd but still good Ep

Jul 30, 2009 1:30 PM

Aug 2007
I guess it is Holo, even though I always thought it was the romanized name.

The people who made this really know their anime. Another cliffhanger strikes its ugly head again. I have to agree with another person, it does seem obvious what will happen next, but they still got me anxious to wait for the next episode.
Jul 30, 2009 1:49 PM

Sep 2008
Well that episode was a whole lot of nothing, I'm pretty disappointed. After the steller episode last week this one seems like crap. And I think Horo sounds more feminine, Holo sounds like some thing a random drunk says.
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
Jul 30, 2009 2:00 PM

Dec 2007
ofc its obvious that holo is going with lawrence, i mean, the show would be over otherwise.
Jul 30, 2009 2:09 PM

Sep 2008
he actually has hope, maybe its obious that horo is oing back with lawrence but they maked this figth pretty exiting
...im so relaxed knowing that the kiss scene was only the imagination of lawrence..
Being a fan is like having a penis. Its nice to be proud of it But don't pull it out in public and wave it in other's faces

Kyurem Black. Kyurem White. Together they are Pretty Kyurem.
Jul 30, 2009 2:26 PM

Jul 2009
Same here...I was so relieved that the kiss scene didn't happen. Besides the flashbacks, I don't remember Horo having any dialogue. I don't mind as long as we get double the Horo next episode.
Jul 30, 2009 2:39 PM
Jul 2009
I think Horo's freakout it perfectly understandable (her accusations weren't true, but even she knows that and said sorry). Lawrence has been shrugging off her flirtations over and over, which must hurt her feelings but she'd never show it, then he said he'd stop early on their journey and have her go on alone, he's known that Yoitsu doesn't exist anymore since S01E01 and never told her, and finally he accepted a contract to cut her loose for 1,000 silver. Beyond the feelings of betrayal for all of that, even in a perfect relationship he'll die in just a few short decades and there'll be no one left from her homeland to turn to. It all came to a head, all at once.

God, Mazui's timing on this episode is shit. The subs during the sell-on-credit scene were unwatchable.

I love this arc! Book 3 really was the best so far.
Jul 30, 2009 2:41 PM

Apr 2009
Went by pretty quickly but the lack of Horo scenes was a bit dissapointing. I have a feeling the next one will pick up the pace though.
Jul 30, 2009 2:41 PM

Jun 2007
i don't care how horo wrote her name, she's still horo to me.
all that talk about profits and whatnot... was a little too much though. well, relieving episode was relieving, and of course, lawrance is going to win. besides, just like lawrance said, horo can just break the contract.
Jul 30, 2009 2:52 PM

Feb 2009
I loved how Mazui translated the scolling "Do not distribute on the intarwebs, it's illegal."

I'm wonder what guardian Horo would have sign that marriage contract.
Jul 30, 2009 3:29 PM
Jun 2008
did he really know her town didn't exist since ep 1 season 1?..lawrence needed a lelouch level plan to get back into the game..and he did it..hopefully it works out
Jul 30, 2009 5:46 PM

Aug 2008
How do I know that Lawrence is going to own Amarty's ass into the ground... Also, I think Lawrence might be Horo's guardian 0.0
Jul 30, 2009 5:54 PM

May 2009
israfel070 said:

God, Mazui's timing on this episode is shit. The subs during the sell-on-credit scene were unwatchable.

Awful yes.

I think Lawrence's Holo's guardian too, he's the only one related to her in this town anyway. This episode was interesting and a nice build up for the duel coming next, but it lacked some Holo presence and teasing.
Jul 30, 2009 5:58 PM
Sep 2008
zerokill said:
How do I know that Lawrence is going to own Amarty's ass into the ground... Also, I think Lawrence might be Horo's guardian 0.0

Yeah, that was the point of Lawrence's panic...at first he thought Horo was helping him out by telling Amarty's assets, but the signed marriage certificate means that if she gets freed, Lawrence is no longer her guardian and she's legally married to Amarty.

Which is different from before in that even if Horo was freed she could choose who she wanted to go with.

I thought that whole part was excellently done...kinda bad for Lawrence though D:
Jul 30, 2009 6:04 PM

Oct 2008
He never "knew" her village didn't exist. He just heard a tale about a mythical bear destroying it from that witch last episode or two ago. She was just acting paranoid when she found out he didn't tell her about it.

I still can't rule out this is one of horo's games. She has shown time and time again that she is good at and enjoys playing game's with him. She likes to see him do his thing. I couldn't help but believe this likely when she had the marriage contract and a list of "The Knight's" assets delivered to Lawrence, almost as if challenging him to win her. If she really wanted to go, he obviously doesn't have the power to stop her since she could kill him easily, but even if she decided she had to follow the idea that she owed him money, she could merely help Amarty out or make it herself (she is of course arguably as good a merchant as Lawrence and even more skilled at smooth talking).

It is almost like this is one big "show me how much i am worth to you by using all of your assets to win me" scheme. Both horo and Lawrence are master smooth talkers, so the only way to really communicate the feelings of such a master of money might be giving up that money for her.

Whether she is faking her tantrum or it is real, it is a pretty crappy thing for her to do, not only to Lawrence (obviously), but Amarty too whom seems to honestly be a nice guy. Sadly for Amarty though he is going after the main character's love interest which makes it pretty hard not to hate him though.
MurbellaJul 30, 2009 6:07 PM
Jul 30, 2009 6:27 PM
Jul 2009
The "Guardian" is Lawrence. A better translation would be something like "creditor." She owes him 1,000 silver, and as such has some legal rights over her, like forcing her to travel with him. This is what Amati thinks their relationship is, and he's rescuing her by paying off her debt. It's also why he got so PISSED when Lawrence said he'd held Horo while she was crying; Amati thinks Lawrence used her as his personal prostitute to pay off her debt.

If Amati gets the 1,000, Lawrence doesn't have a choice and will have to sign on their marriage license.

Sending Lawrence a copy is basically Horo telling him that she already accepted Amati's marriage proposal in advance. If he wants to keep her, he has to stop being lukewarm about his feelings, get serious and fight off Amati. That's Lawrence's interpretation, anyway.
Jul 30, 2009 6:28 PM

Jan 2008
Falatorx said:
I still can't rule out this is one of horo's games. She has shown time and time again that she is good at and enjoys playing game's with him. She likes to see him do his thing.

This was my impression as well.
Jul 30, 2009 7:13 PM

May 2008
Zero_r2 said:

...im so relaxed knowing that the kiss scene was only the imagination of lawrence..

Jul 30, 2009 7:35 PM

Jul 2009
Woot!.....hes gonna crash the whole freakin' market for her GO LAWRENCE!!

iday12 said:
Is it just me or do all of these episodes seem to fly by in five minutes?

LOL It felt the same way as well....the ep felt pretty short even though it was 24 min long
Jul 30, 2009 7:39 PM

Jul 2008
MrCK1193 said:
Woot!.....hes gonna crash the whole freakin' market for her GO LAWRENCE!!
It is certainly one of the more unique ways to show your feelings. ;)

BEGINNER
Jul 30, 2009 8:10 PM

Apr 2009
LETS GO LAWRENCE! Time to step up and pull the big one.

God Armati's cockiness makes me want to kick his ass so much. Blowing up after Lawrence telling him, no worries me and Horo have had fights in the past and I have consoled her really made me loathe his intentions on marrying Horo even more. Especially when he said I was trying to do you a favor by not taking everything from you...

Great episode, can't wait till the next one.
Jul 30, 2009 8:11 PM

Jul 2007
The scarf Amati bought for Horo made her look even more beautiful!

(I still don't like Amatai though ><)
Jul 30, 2009 8:20 PM

Jun 2007
Falatorx said:
He never "knew" her village didn't exist. He just heard a tale about a mythical bear destroying it from that witch last episode or two ago. She was just acting paranoid when she found out he didn't tell her about it.

I still can't rule out this is one of horo's games. She has shown time and time again that she is good at and enjoys playing game's with him. She likes to see him do his thing. I couldn't help but believe this likely when she had the marriage contract and a list of "The Knight's" assets delivered to Lawrence, almost as if challenging him to win her. If she really wanted to go, he obviously doesn't have the power to stop her since she could kill him easily, but even if she decided she had to follow the idea that she owed him money, she could merely help Amarty out or make it herself (she is of course arguably as good a merchant as Lawrence and even more skilled at smooth talking).

It is almost like this is one big "show me how much i am worth to you by using all of your assets to win me" scheme. Both horo and Lawrence are master smooth talkers, so the only way to really communicate the feelings of such a master of money might be giving up that money for her.

Whether she is faking her tantrum or it is real, it is a pretty crappy thing for her to do, not only to Lawrence (obviously), but Amarty too whom seems to honestly be a nice guy. Sadly for Amarty though he is going after the main character's love interest which makes it pretty hard not to hate him though.

Ya I pretty much agree with you. From the start of this ark it's felt more like a big game that Horo started in order to get Lawrence to show how much he cares about her and possibly force his feelings out in the open. I think even if Lawrence loses the bet, Horo will still rip up the contract and go with him or possibly mess with his feelings a bit.

One possibility is if he does lose, she may play around a bit by saying she's leaving him and wants him to sign the marriage contract as a way to force him to verbally say he wants her to stay with him. Once he does you know she's gonna rip the contract up and go with him. The real question is what will Amati do if she rips the contract? Will he follow them throughout the story? Will he find out her secret?

She's over a hundred years old so I'm pretty sure news about her home town being attacked and possibly being destroyed have already reached her ears far before Lawrence was born lol. I'm sure that's one of the reasons she wants to go back. To see if the news is true and if anyone is left.
Jul 30, 2009 9:16 PM

Jul 2008
Not much Horo this episode, but we got to see what Lawrence's master plan was. Next few episodes should be pretty epic.
Jul 30, 2009 9:24 PM
Jul 2008
Great Ep. It's true what others have said, episodes fly by really quickly. Not something you'd expect from a show centered around medieval trading o.O

In any case, I'm sorta on the fence about whether or not this is all part of Holo's games. While I certainly wouldn't put it past her to pull off something like this, her freakout seemed genuine to me.

I wouldn't be surprised if, after having Lawrence running around like a fool for her, it's actually Holo who does some sort of confession first, possibly humiliating Amati in the process. Less of a "challenge" really and more like an indirect punishment for keeping too many secrets, but also a backhanded apology for overreacting.

Of course, I could be reading too much into this, and Holo really is just messing with poor Lawrence's head/heart again.

Anyways, Amati is just a damn spoiled rich kid who thinks he can win in a man's game. Go Lawrence!
Jul 30, 2009 9:42 PM

Aug 2008
Honestly, Holo (I guess now that it's canon) is being a big mooch. Game or not, she's just not worth the trouble, so I don't care who wins or looses. Though I was pretty neutral on my stance regarding Amati, after this episode, I kind of don't like him...so a great fantasy of mine would be that Lawerence suckers him for all the money he can get, shove Holo off to him, pick up Deanna or some random girl, and just leave the city. Not a bad episode.
Jul 30, 2009 11:33 PM

Dec 2008
Pretty good episode...but Horo's screen time was seriously lacking. I still prefer to spell her name as Horo rather than Holo. Can't wait for more.
Jul 31, 2009 1:23 AM

Apr 2008
lols.. great episode =D

Jul 31, 2009 1:50 AM

Aug 2007
Woohoooo! Early form of option pricing!
Those who understands complex financial derivatives say AYE!
Those who don't, I highly recommend "Options, futures and other derivatives" by Hull. And I always thought it was the greeks who used it first... anime proved me wrong :-P

Good episode. I think Horo didn't overreact. I also think Horo might be playing with him a little bit, since he was so over confident that Horo will go with him, she might want to put him on his toes a little bit.
Jul 31, 2009 2:50 AM
Dec 2007
ZetaZeta said:
I'm wonder what guardian Horo would have sign that marriage contract.

Lawrence is. And it's the whole point of this arc, whether he sells her to Amarty or not, as her guardian.

Average episode, I thought that the second season of S&W could still withstand an episode without Holo and be great (which the first season clearly could not) thanks to its direction and atmosphere, but in fact, no. This series is still heavily dependent on Holo and the Holo/Lawrence relationship, if you take out Holo, there is simply no enjoyment since the other aspects of the series are less interestingly developed.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Jul 31, 2009 3:08 AM

May 2008
iday12 said:
I also think that amarty will go down. this was a good episode, we learned finally what Lawrence plans to do to stop Amarty, although the episode could have had more Horo. Is it just me or do all of these episodes seem to fly by in five minutes?

Ye i was kinda suprised that it went quick xD

liked the episode very much, and yes go to hell amarty <.<
Jul 31, 2009 3:32 AM
Jan 2008
Jesus, people, there's only so far in denial you can be. Even if you ignored the website, the other website's source code, the official license and the various S&W paraphernalia the episode itself calls her Holo. By all means call her Horo in your hearts, or whatever, but please call her Holo on message boards so as not to confuse or mislead newcomers.

I was very entertained that the "Do not pirate" message was also translated by Mazui.

Must... not... post... spoilers... I just realised how awful it is to have read the book and be unable to correct or elaborate upon all the theories bounding around.
Jul 31, 2009 3:46 AM
May 2009
Wow, these episodes are great fun to watch. I agree with the idea that this is a direct challenge to Lawrence by Holo. Lawrence was under the impression that he could get her to ignore the contract in Amarty won out. This was essentially Holo's way of saying "Win the challenge, yourself."

My familiarity with tropes, though, says this won't play out the way Lawrence described it. It never does. The plan that's explained on camera is the one that always fails. It's the plan that doesn't isn't revealed until it happens that works. I wonder what the complication will be, and how Lawrence will handle it.
Jul 31, 2009 4:56 AM

Mar 2008
who is gonna be in despair next ep, if its Lawrence , then more ep to this Amarty Arc which is not necessarily a bad thing.
Jul 31, 2009 5:06 AM

May 2008
yea Holo man Holo get it right lmao

Awesome Sig by Lailide
Jul 31, 2009 5:22 AM

Jun 2009
bah... horo didnt actually speak one word throughout the whole episode >:(
no horo = no love
Jul 31, 2009 6:04 AM

Jul 2008
J3T said:
Damn it, her name is indeed 'Holo' but I still refuse to accept it. It was a good episode, I can't wait to see how the 'duel' between Lawrence and Amati turns out.
I thought the same thing about her name. I just kept saying 'Horo' to myself to kinda get it that image out of my head.

The episode was clean though, we haven't really seen any market swaying tactics from Lawerence yet, so I was a little excited about that. There was absolutely no Horo though, just her looking fair in the window of Amarti's room.
Jul 31, 2009 6:53 AM

Mar 2008
Darn cliffhanger.. The next episode's title being "Wolf and Hope and Despair" doesn't really help either. Will Lawrence and Horo make up? Or will they throw another twist in before they conclude this arc? Argh

Jul 31, 2009 7:00 AM
Aug 2008
MRLX69 said:
Woohoooo! Early form of option pricing!
Those who understands complex financial derivatives say AYE!
Those who don't, I highly recommend "Options, futures and other derivatives" by Hull. And I always thought it was the greeks who used it first... anime proved me wrong :-P

Good episode. I think Horo didn't overreact. I also think Horo might be playing with him a little bit, since he was so over confident that Horo will go with him, she might want to put him on his toes a little bit.

Thales is commonly credited with inventing the futures option.

Medieval Europe did see some financial innovations from the Knights Templar, involving exchange rates and factors comparable to interest rates.

Holo is apparently accustomed to males who are a lot more macho and forceful than Lawrence. Therefore she seems to feel the need to put him through hell.
Jul 31, 2009 7:14 AM
Aug 2008
noteDhero said:
Honestly, Holo (I guess now that it's canon) is being a big mooch. Game or not, she's just not worth the trouble, so I don't care who wins or looses. Though I was pretty neutral on my stance regarding Amati, after this episode, I kind of don't like him...so a great fantasy of mine would be that Lawerence suckers him for all the money he can get, shove Holo off to him, pick up Deanna or some random girl, and just leave the city. Not a bad episode.

Holo isn't worth the trouble for any man who is aggressive enough to please her. She wants some macho wife-beating bad boy, apparently.

However, Lawrence is just enough of a gambler and a strategist to try to score with a crazy high-maintenance chick. Lawrence, perhaps, just doesn't want to settle down with the girl who wanted to open a store, and he doesn't want to hire prostitutes. Lawrence wants a *challenge*. He wants a woman who is an adventure.

He should have been more careful about what he wished for...
Jul 31, 2009 8:18 AM

Apr 2007
The make up sex is coming amirite guys? xD

Jul 31, 2009 9:10 AM

Apr 2009
PandaPuff said:
The make up sex is coming amirite guys? xD

that would be quite the sight.

Amarty bugs. Glad that the scene where Horo and him are about to "kiss" are just a figment of Lawrence's imagination. Hope things turn out well next episode.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou II Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

vinesage - Sep 23, 2009

445 by patkarunungan »»
10 hours ago

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou II Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

vinesage - Sep 2, 2009

210 by BetaMaleUltra »»
11 hours ago

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou II Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

vinesage - Aug 26, 2009

134 by BetaMaleUltra »»
Yesterday, 2:57 PM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou II Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

vinesage - Aug 19, 2009

189 by BetaMaleUltra »»
Yesterday, 2:25 PM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou II Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

dbaranyi - Aug 12, 2009

291 by BetaMaleUltra »»
Yesterday, 3:56 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.