Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 29, 2009 10:01 AM

Jul 2008
I think it would be better to host the project on launchpad especially since it's open source now. I was also thinking how much lighter and portable this would be if it used html5 instead of python. Not to mention no complicated install.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Jul 29, 2009 3:41 PM

Jun 2008
Guess you are a bit mixing apples with peaches here.

Launchpad is nice, true, but they use Bazaar as version control, and that one is very slow. Also they are much focused on Ubuntu, which might bug a lot of folks (and I'm an Ubuntu user myself).

I see the use of Launchpad for the ppa's relating to Ubuntu package management, but not for software development repository.

I don't have the slightest clue what you mean by the html5 thing. AniChou is a desktop application. Also HTML 4/5 is only a markup language, not a programming one.. maybe if you add JS...

But don't feel discouraged, check in the IRC channel and elaborate.. maybe you got something.. or you can learn.

Edit: and python does not exclude html.

Edit2: Html5 is not out widespread yet.
skriticosJul 29, 2009 3:47 PM
Jul 30, 2009 8:11 AM

Jul 2008
I'm not exactly sure how it works but you can make desktop appa with html5 and gtk. Also using git and launchpad would make it easier to install by far.

ADD: The anime detection engine would need to stay in python but the ui could be in html5/gtk+.
Jul 30, 2009 8:39 AM

Jun 2008
koola said:
I'm not exactly sure how it works but you can make desktop appa with html5 and gtk. Also using git and launchpad would make it easier to install by far.

ADD: The anime detection engine would need to stay in python but the ui could be in html5/gtk+.

Guess you mean something like WebKit + HTML5 + GTK+? You still need a programming language, and python is suitable for it. Actually we somewhat like Python, so you would have to give a good reason to switch. This also does not solve most of the UI shenanigans, which still have to be coded. It still might be interesting for interface improvement.

Anyway, if you feel like you want to write such an interface, than feel free to do so. Would be happy about it. If you show me some good code, I'll give you commit rights to the main repository.

launchpad ->
We are already using git. on github.. With a simple 'git clone git://github.com/skriticos/ac.git AniChou; git fetch' you'll have the entire revision history and the latest header and can start working on it. No big deal, don't see the big advantage with the Lanuchpad approach, especially since Launchpad does NOT use git, but they use bzr (bazaar) instead, and I just don't like that.

Edit: And that the Launchpad code is now open source is of little concern in this matter. We don't have our own hosting server, but you github as the repository. Using Launchpad.net in this context would achieve exactly the same, as both platforms grant free OSS hosting.. Also by using git everyone has the full revision history and code anyway, so the dependency on the provider is only very limited. And anyone can fork too, of course, so if you insist on launchpad, then you may open your own branch there.
skriticosJul 30, 2009 8:46 AM
Aug 16, 2009 8:34 AM

Jul 2008
After some weeks of research python is the best language for anichou for sure. I have to admit, git is powerful but but launchpad has a nice and easy translation system, along with nice and simple ppa support. I also think wordpress.com would be a nice and easy way to track news, so mull these ideas over and tell me what you think. When i get a keyboard (currently typing with the mouse and an on-screen keyboard) i'll poke around in the code and see how else i can help. Also, what does the recent release of mal api mean for us?
Aug 16, 2009 9:55 AM

Jun 2008
koola said:
After some weeks of research python is the best language for anichou for sure.
Thanks.

koola said:
I have to admit, git is powerful but but launchpad has a nice and easy translation system, along with nice and simple ppa support.
Quite a maintenance change you suggest there. Nobody wanted to translate the UI as of now, not even sure that will be final as it is now. Do you want to translate it? Getting out of beta is more imperative now (or would be, if we would be actively developing).

As we do cross platform and distribution development, PPA support seems to be a bit small of a reason to switch.

koola said:
I also think wordpress.com would be a nice and easy way to track news, so mull these ideas over and tell me what you think.
Another maintenance change you suggest there. We have a wiki and we can also create custom sites on GitHub. The integrating with the forums here is a benefit for the development and I don't see how people would additionally want to check another source of info about the project.

koola said:
When i get a keyboard (currently typing with the mouse and an on-screen keyboard) i'll poke around in the code and see how else i can help.
We would appreciate it.

koola said:
Also, what does the recent release of mal api mean for us?
The data update module has to be rewritten for the new API, as the old will go away. See source for the current module.
Aug 16, 2009 10:47 AM

Jul 2008
I can do spanish and japanese translations, but i'm sure working on the code is more important like you said. I also want to know what implications the updated module would have.
Aug 17, 2009 5:51 AM

Jun 2008
koola said:
I can do spanish and japanese translations, but i'm sure working on the code is more important like you said. I also want to know what implications the updated module would have.

The anime update push routine could be rewritten with the new API to push local changes to the site. Though the old routine should continue to work for a while too. No big deal actually, just a bit playing with the urllib to create the update requests.
Aug 17, 2009 6:24 AM
Apr 2009
skriticos said:
No big deal actually, just a bit playing with the urllib to create the update requests.

Should the API change to proper REST, and use methods beyond GET and POST, urllib2 will become a problem. Easier to introduce a new external dependency: httplib2.
WileAug 17, 2009 6:28 AM
Aug 17, 2009 6:26 AM

Jul 2008
Why is httplib2 better than urllib2?
Aug 17, 2009 9:14 AM
Apr 2008
Well, a bit of offtopic now. What about getting everyone back together for a meeting (IRC?) for the next few steps any time soon? So development can continue.

BTT:
Im not happy with another dependency. Im not very familiar with REST but it should not be difficult to write our own module.
Aug 19, 2009 12:52 AM
Apr 2009
[OT]

Necrotex said:
What about getting everyone back together for a meeting

I tried to do planning and mailed around proposals in May. Nobody replied. Since then I've been implementing, on and off, and only pushed to git when asked.

I'm on IRC most evenings, but don't fancy a meeting until someone else did some actual work, maybe writing a low-level class around the new API.

Im not happy with another dependency.

Even with just GTK the current distribution model is not sustainable. We have to have py2app and py2exe to get any users on those platforms. So we might just throw in other libraries as well. Currently I'm at Python 2.6 plus three.
Aug 19, 2009 3:54 AM

Jul 2008
Should i learn python 2 or 3? py3k seems to have more efficient syntax.
Aug 19, 2009 4:55 AM

Jun 2008
koola said:
Should i learn python 2 or 3? py3k seems to have more efficient syntax.

For all practical purposes, learn Python 2, as most of the libraries will take some time to update to Python 3. Still a good idea to use the __future__ directives and try to keep the code py3k ready (check the -3 flag in the 2.6 interpreter).

So for short, learn 2.6 and maybe check out the what's new documents for 3.0 and 3.1 once you are good in 2.x. The difference is actually not that big.
Aug 22, 2009 5:16 PM

Jul 2008
For my IDE I'm thinking Geany, but beyond that i'm lost. Besides poking in code, what's the best way to learn Python? Why do we use github instead of gitorious? What are the other steps in making a program besides the programming and how do i do them?
Aug 23, 2009 2:17 AM

Jun 2008
koola said:
For my IDE I'm thinking Geany, but beyond that i'm lost.
Good, IDE is something you must find out what suits you best. I'm a hardliner (vim).

Besides poking in code, what's the best way to learn Python?
You should definitely check out the python tutorial, if you did not do so far: http://docs.python.org/tutorial/ . Maybe get a book or two on the language. Then it's all up to practice, write code. Contributing to an existing code-base is a great way to learn.

Why do we use github instead of gitorious?
GitHub is way better known, and came earlier. Did not even know that gitorious exists. Anyway, github also has an issue tracker with is gitorious does not seem to have. The rest of the feature listing seems the same. And we got used to GitHub a bit, I guess.

What are the other steps in making a program besides the programming and how do i do them?
Some keywords are: specification, design, implementation, testing, release, maintenance, documentation. How to put it together is topic of much controversy. You can find more on the topic at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_development_methodologies . I personally like agile dev. model.
skriticosAug 23, 2009 2:22 AM
Aug 23, 2009 1:44 PM

Jul 2008
I would say big thing for me is that gitorious is open source, and it went up the same week as github in '08. We need an issue tracker though so i'll look into it. Also, use glade or "hardline" with gtk+?
Aug 23, 2009 3:31 PM

Jun 2008
koola said:
I would say big thing for me is that gitorious is open source, and it went up the same week as github in '08. We need an issue tracker though so i'll look into it.
Maybe, don't know. That they distribute their hosting software as OSS is not very relevant to us, because we don't want to set up our own git server, but use a free hosting provider for OSS software, and they both seem to do it, so it makes no difference at all for our purposes.

ps. The github people also open sourced their platform software: http://github.com/github/

Also, use glade or "hardline" with gtk+?
Currently we use glade for the interface frame. You find the file here. The trickier parts of the interface (mainly the treeview - list in the middle) are hardcoded, as glade does not support treeview model declarations (that part is somewhat complex). See here for the GTK+ related backend code.

ps. Just checked out the current glade on my system, seems they have added listview modelling in it in the last few months. Interesting, does not change much though.
skriticosAug 23, 2009 4:50 PM
Aug 23, 2009 8:33 PM

Jul 2008
Alright, github it is. expect some code from me soon. :D
Aug 24, 2009 1:37 AM
Apr 2009
skriticos said:
Just checked out the current glade on my system, seems they have added listview modelling in it in the last few months.

I mentioned that before, as I had to report a bug in it. However, columns can only be stored in the XML for GtkBuilder, which is the replacement for libglade, built into GTK. The library I use does not yet support loading that. Also Glade cannot set up cell renderers, which is the majority of the code. So this change doesn't really affect us.

koola said:
Expect some code from me soon.

If you meet me in IRC first we can avoid duplicating efforts.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » AniChou package builds

kazooparcel - Apr 30, 2009

12 by Wile »»
Apr 12, 2013 12:34 AM

» AniDB support

Wile - Nov 27, 2009

1 by Necrotex »»
Nov 30, 2009 4:11 AM

Poll: » Searching a new name!

skriticos - Apr 29, 2009

37 by saka »»
Nov 1, 2009 11:14 AM

Sticky: » Wishlist

skriticos - Apr 27, 2009

19 by skriticos »»
May 13, 2009 1:45 AM

Sticky: Poll: » Anime naming final decision!

skriticos - May 3, 2009

8 by Necrotex »»
May 5, 2009 12:43 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.