Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jun 4, 2013 12:28 AM

Jan 2013
Great artstyle and opening.
Seems interesting.
Aug 29, 2013 5:43 AM

Aug 2012
Tadaima!
Life sure is stressful. It's a good thing the opening and ending are relaxing though lol
Jan 9, 2014 12:57 AM

Mar 2012
Can't stop thinking of Goreshit when watching this lol
Great 1st episode~!
Jan 9, 2014 7:00 PM

Mar 2013
I was horrified at the ice cream scene. man, that guy is way creeepy
EL PSY KONGROO!!!
May 13, 2014 2:16 PM
May 2013
Not really sure what I think so far. The reporter/writer that got attacked is pretty creepy and the style of animation is quite different. Also, was the number 510 the number of the room Tsukiko was in at the hospital? I assume the doll talking and moving was a hallucination. I didn't think the episode was that great but I am intrigued by it.
May 30, 2014 6:02 PM

Sep 2013
That was the most disturbing OP I've ever seen...
Jul 18, 2014 10:43 PM

Jun 2013
Interesting first episode. I've watched this anime on Adult Swim many many years ago but never fully watched it, only bits and pieces. So a girl designer called Tsukiko gets attacked by a kid named "Lil Slugger" with a baseball bat. The girl starts seeing hallucinations of her doll talking to her. That fat guy tries to talk to her and then winds up getting hit by Lil Slugger. That Ice Cream scene was creepy. And holy fuck that OP is disturbing.
Aug 23, 2014 12:06 PM

May 2012
From the start to the end this anime was very strange, the atmosphere feels rather off yet very intriguing I'm not sure but this is rather interesting yet very repelling... Either way let's see what this story will offer us!

That OP was very strange luckily the ED was not as strange though but still weird as fuck!
Sep 12, 2014 3:47 AM

Jun 2013
Very interesting first episode. That dude gave me the creeps licking the sundae and eating that cherry :p
Sep 13, 2014 5:04 PM

Nov 2012
Everything is this seems really creepy,from the atmosphere,OP,character designs,etc.
Nov 11, 2014 9:33 AM

Apr 2009
Disturbing OP I've ever seen. Feels like Serial Experiments Lain.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 6, 2015 1:59 PM

Aug 2013
That was really weird... But I might have a few clue that may be relevant. I'm not sure at all.

First, the two aggression that happened so far somehow seem to have helped that girl a lot. In the first case, it gave her a reason to get a break from work, which seemed awfully stressing for her. In the second case, the creepy journalist dude was harassing her a lot. Him being beaten right when he was stalking her may make him stop from following her.

Another thing that caught my eyes was in the OP : that nuclear explosion and that old man on the moon while there is ''impacts'' on the Earth. The nuclear bomb is a touchy subject and widely explored in japanese culture. The americans have been the first one to go on the moon while in parallel, there was a race to nuclear armament. Of course, there have been a lot of nuclear test made around the world. Now, I don't know what the link could be with a psychological anime about a young boy who beats people with a broken golden bat, but the overall plot may have something to do with the ''nuclear children''.

Another thing that was weird and that everybody probably noticed is that hospitalized old man. His ''calcul'' (or whatever it was) ended up with Tsukiko chamber number. However, he made that calcul even before she was assaulted. If I had to guess, this is an important incoherency that will be cleared up in the future. There is also that incoherency between that healthy old man that we see in the OP and that weak and senile looking old man in the episode. I don't know what that mean, but it's almost like that old man isn't even ''real''. The fact that his son(?) was pushing his wheelchair is contradicting that theory though. And now I'm lost in my own blabbering. Oh well, we'll see. I expect mind fucks, because I'm already mind fucked.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Sep 26, 2015 1:39 PM

Jul 2015
I expect a lot from this show, hope it doesn't disappoint. I really liked the first episode, the opening is a tad creepy though..
Oct 7, 2015 9:02 PM
Jun 2013
I feel sorry for her. She’s been through a lot, but a (evil) part of me thinks she deserves it with the tripping she keeps doing.
Oct 10, 2015 6:50 AM
May 2012
Oh boy, I am really liking this.
That opening and ending song son.
Oct 16, 2015 3:10 PM

Feb 2014
Interesting start. I like the OP and the little stuffed animal dog!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 18, 2015 4:38 AM

Jan 2012
this is one of the weirdest op i have seen so far,what a bad luck this girl have, she needs to chill out,her comrades are jealous of her + she was attacked .

Mar 22, 2016 8:10 PM

Jul 2015
Quite intriguing. What is 510? Why is the bat broken? Why golden? Why did the woman disappear? If it truly is a fake, then why did the man get attacked? Why is the man/woman (can't tell) shocked when he sees the woman in the bus at the beginning? "I'm home." What??

Quite excited to see my questions be answered. A great opening!
Jun 21, 2016 9:07 AM

Feb 2016
I'm curious about whether this time I've just experienced the same phenomenon as in serial experiment lain where I didn't understand a single thing and everyone else was appreciating it as a rational masterpiece or not. Maybe this just didn't make any sense at all.
Jul 6, 2016 4:41 AM

Dec 2012
I liked it.
Very interesting plot

Sep 2, 2016 5:40 PM

Sep 2015
What an in interesting first episode! From the get go there's a ton of things that stand out to get your brain working. Extremely interested in the old man with white hair that seems to be insane. He seemed to be trying to warn Tsukiko about Shounen Bat when he wrote down that cluster of words and numbers on the hospital's parking lot. 510 was her room number and all. Either that or he sees Tsukiko as something to be eliminated and Shounen Bat has ties with him somehow?

Also, Shounen Bat's "Tadaima." sent chills down my spine. That was cool as shit.
Nov 15, 2016 12:02 AM

Sep 2013
I Really Liked this Episode!!! I think this series has real promise!

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Apr 5, 2017 4:59 PM

Dec 2015
I love Hirasawa's voice man, I will never get tired to listening to his music.

Reminds me a lot of Paprika tbh.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Mar 21, 2018 2:18 PM

Dec 2015
The opening creeped the hell outta me lol

Sep 14, 2018 7:09 PM

Jun 2013
Been meaning to watch this for years and finally am, am very intrigued by this first episode
Sep 23, 2018 1:29 PM

Jan 2017
Opening is great. The initial episode is alright; it was compelling enough to keep my attention.
Feb 17, 2019 12:39 AM

Mar 2017
Great first epsiode. I love the sound design of the city and the general atmosphere of the show.
Apr 29, 2019 10:56 AM
Jan 2017
hmm ,, this anime making me thinking hard about the posibillyty what would happen ,,
and also the psychological feel very strong between the character and mystery is flowing,
but i m not sure what is this imagination or real,, its gonna be very interesting ,,
May 22, 2019 7:16 PM

Dec 2018
Revisiting old anime shows such as these in in the late 2010's offers a rather interesting perspective, because we as an audience have seen the directors and creators subsequent works to date. Such works contain similarities as such.

The surreal and psychological elements are obvious but I suspect as the show gains traction in its plot that such surrealism and reality with become harder to distinguish. As the audience breaking the fourth wall the case seems very superficial and easy to solve for the two detectives but I suspect with most anime directed by Satoshi Kon that there are more complicated details to be discovered
Jul 29, 2019 8:44 PM
Jul 2018
The sensation of the opening song for me just kinda like when I get the chat message that supposed to be a kind of laugh as "xixixixixixi" out of the blue from my ex girlfriend that broke up with me three years ago. It's awkward but literally an experience man.
Aug 30, 2019 1:43 AM

Feb 2017
Information about the crime circulating around in the show's society reminded me of Stand Alone Complex, though I doubt a similar narrative or themes will be expressed here.
Sep 26, 2019 10:43 AM

Oct 2013
This show looks very promising in every aspect. What's more it is one of the creations made by marvelous Satoshi Kon.
Jan 14, 2020 5:49 PM
Apr 2016
The opening...very unsettling. A very interesting first episode, I'm really curious already. While he--the bat guy--seems to be young, he doesn't really look "young," he looks like he's in his 40, despite sounding young and...probably being young. Very interesting how he didn't kill the lady, and instead just let her see him--does he expect her to not describe him in more detail now?
May 3, 2020 10:42 AM

Apr 2017
Pretty interesting.

The old man's calculations, which resulted in 510, coincide with the apartment number of the attacked woman. Maybe he can find some clues about the next victim.

Seems like Tsukiko has some psychic illness like paranoia.
This is especially evident in the office when everyone seems to look at her, talk about her, and evaluate her. However, it can be exaggerated.

That hentai weird newsman tho...

And he was also attacked. I wonder if there will be difficulties getting along with him.
May 23, 2020 4:28 AM

May 2016
Even though I've already watched most of Satoshi Kon's movies, this anime gave out a vibe that's more unnerving than usual. It's surreal as ever but it'd be quite the experience to see all the pieces somehow fall together as it goes by.

The soundtrack does a superb job of evoking the suspenseful paranoid feeling I get whenever something ominous is happening~

Jun 16, 2020 11:30 PM

Jul 2016
Did anyone notice the nurse from Tokyo Godfathers in the hospital?
Jul 8, 2020 6:09 PM
Jul 2017
the main girl reminds me of Osaka from Azumanga Daioh, not only in appearance, but also in behavior, lol.
Aug 14, 2020 7:09 PM

Jul 2020
That OP with everyone laughing is just creepy.

I wonder if the assault has somewhat connected with that character.
Aug 30, 2020 11:41 PM

May 2015
After skipping this series for years now I finally decided to give it a watch

It's so goddamn good
This is the kind of atmosphere in anime that I enjoy the most
Dec 22, 2020 7:06 AM

Oct 2019
yooooOooo is that
myles moralies

with a baseball bat?

i dont care if thats not how i spell his name i know HES THE MURDERER IM A GENIUS ARE YOU DISREGARDING MY ABSOLUTE GENIUS LEVEL RIGHT NOW
Feb 5, 2021 6:35 AM
Oct 2019
that was good. so apparently the kid does exist and isn't just in her head. she is a little strange but there's nothing wrong with being different.

the old guy, I wonder how factors into this. and the creeper guy, I hope he meets a bad end. and I certainly hope he doesn't somehow seduce this artist woman into sleeping with his disgusting ass

why is the kid doing what he's doing? I'm honestly not sure we'll even find out haha. Interesting commentary on society though
Mar 18, 2021 1:29 AM

Aug 2012
Pretty interesting first episode. I like how they played into whether or not the attack happened throughout the episode, with many characters doubting it's occurrence and Tsukiko's delusions with Maromi, and potentially Kawazu's voices matching her female co-workers perfectly, not to mention the sudden disappearance of the old lady at the beginning. Building this doubt until the very end which makes it pretty clear Shonen Bat is a problem they're going to have to deal with made the episode rather entertaining albeit, knowing the show even on the cursory level that I do it was fairly obvious Shonen Bat was going to pop again, even the attack on Kawazu was easy to see happening once it got going, though Shonen Bat's short dialogue with Tsukiko I didn't see coming, and that had me intrigued. Also would say I'm glad Kawazu got hit, he was getting rather creepy near the end, though I did find him amusing when he wasn't giving me sexual assault vibes.

Really like Satoshi Kon's visual style, and thought this episode looked pretty great. Lots of interesting elements planted here, looking forward to watching more.

*Edit*

Forgot to comment how much I love the OP and ED but especially the ED. I've always gravitated towards the weird or different, and Paranoia Agent's OP is so starkly different from the norm of anime in both visual direction and the accompany music, that it immediately captivates my attention. Also really like the song, Susumu Hirasawa and Satoshi Kon is always a match made in heaven.
Aug 19, 2021 3:15 AM

May 2019
Satoshi Kon always BRINGS it.

I can't believe I haven't watched this yet.

First few minutes there's already a sense of hectic tension and through the episode there are brief reprieves. Such as the silly and comical impressions by the journalist. Though, there's still a major creep factor to all of it.

I absolutely love the specific art style that Kon has and the character designs. So brilliant.
Dec 10, 2021 2:15 PM
Nov 2020
This episode (and series) is such an oddly beautiful AV treatise on human anxiety. It captures so much that's so difficult to put into words. An existential crisis wrapped up in a fever dream.
Dec 27, 2021 9:07 AM
Nov 2021
Animatronix said:
I am glad that guy was attacked. He was really annoying. I don't know if the kid is actually the homeless lady, or if he's actually her imagination.

bruh annoying what, he dope as hell
Dec 31, 2021 12:11 AM

Aug 2019
Op is so good and hysterical....those laughs....pretty good episode so far...first time watching a Satoshi kons work....pretty excited.
Feb 10, 2022 8:08 AM
Jun 2021
What’s the name of the song at 15.24? I’ve searched everywhere, I feel like I’ve heard it recently as I’ve been watching older anime recently.
Jul 15, 2022 7:09 PM
Nov 2021
Windifyy said:
What’s the name of the song at 15.24? I’ve searched everywhere, I feel like I’ve heard it recently as I’ve been watching older anime recently.

I'm pretty sure it's just the ringtone, not really a song. If you want something similar you can check out "Thank you, my twilight" by the pillows.
Aug 22, 2022 12:18 AM

Jun 2020
That was a good episode. So far things are good, but not particularly unique nor does much stand out. But it's still a very good episode regardless. It's playing out just like a whodunnit would. I've heard great things about this show so let's see where it goes.

Sep 3, 2022 12:02 PM

Jul 2020
A very intriguing start, this show seems right up my alley
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mousou Dairinin Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

katsup - Apr 3, 2008

215 by mbarseru »»
Mar 21, 4:16 AM

Poll: » Mousou Dairinin Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Arashi89 - Aug 7, 2009

68 by LithiumHead9 »»
Mar 6, 1:01 AM

Poll: » Mousou Dairinin Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Arashi89 - Aug 7, 2009

89 by LithiumHead9 »»
Feb 22, 2:57 AM

Poll: » Mousou Dairinin Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

LibreKoi - May 24, 2009

63 by lkj509 »»
Feb 7, 2:41 AM

Poll: » Mousou Dairinin Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

LibreKoi - May 24, 2009

62 by lkj509 »»
Feb 7, 1:45 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.