Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 22, 2009 4:58 PM

Jul 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Another fantastic episode. Fumi's struggle about coming out to A-chan was beautifully handled. Shocker on who Sugimoto's former lover is though!
My first novel, Kardia has been published! Click here to read!
Jul 22, 2009 5:44 PM

Oct 2006
Splitter said:

Another fantastic episode. Fumi's struggle about coming out to A-chan was beautifully handled. Shocker on who Sugimoto's former lover is though!

It was just unrequited love. They didn't have any relationship.
Jul 22, 2009 9:00 PM

Sep 2008
I think this is the best episode so far in this series. I'm glad Fumi finally came out. This might actually be the best yuri I've ever seen. O; I am glad that someone out there made this - there are far too many girls out there that feel so trapped and insecure about everything just like this. A fantastic episode, a historic episode. This is probably the very first seriously meant lesbian outcoming in anime history.
Jul 23, 2009 4:02 AM
May 2008
Nice to see the kiss actually get animated. Also looks like that they are following the manga pretty closely as well. Can't wait for the next episode to come.
Jul 23, 2009 7:58 AM
Oct 2008
niwasatou said:
Splitter said:

:D Thanks, I love spoilers for future episodes!
Jul 23, 2009 4:45 PM

Jun 2008
OMG !!! Insn't Yasuko lover like, MOE !! And I loved how Fumi came out of the closet to Aa-chan. :) And of course for the time being I'm sure that Aa-chan is going to en up with Kyouko. Like Duh !!
so
Yasuko x Fumi
Aa-Chan x Kyouko !! xD
Well that's only my prediction.

And I don't think the lover has anything to do with the actual story line.
Jul 23, 2009 5:48 PM

Oct 2006
iamjoe said:
niwasatou said:
Splitter said:

It's not a spoiler. Troll.
niwasatouJul 23, 2009 5:51 PM
Jul 24, 2009 4:57 AM
Oct 2008
niwasatou said:
iamjoe said:
niwasatou said:
Splitter said:

It's not a spoiler. Troll.

How can you even say that's not a spoiler? The way the episode handled the scene was that you're left speculating if something that wasn't supposed to be happening between Yasuko and that teacher DID in fact happen. Where's the bloody intrigue now that you've just said that there was nothing going on between them and it was one-sided?

Nowhere, NOWHERE in the episode did Yasuko once say, "But it was unrequited love." They show you Kagami looking and paying a little too much attention to her and then avoiding her like the plague. So anyone would think, "Did he do something un-teacherly with her??"

But no. You just informed us of events that are to come. The entire point of this series is to never shove anything in your face and to sit down, mull it over and think it things through. You just saved my brain some extra thought processes that I was looking forward to have because of your own mindlessness.

Who's the fucking troll now?
Jul 24, 2009 5:23 AM

Oct 2006
What if it was "speculation" on my part? Where is your ZOMGSPOILER now, huh?

I don't think the series could have been any more obvious about it while still keeping it's subtlety. If you can't grasp subtlety that's not my problem.

Spoiler tags, just to be safe, you know (lol)
Jul 24, 2009 5:56 AM
Oct 2008
niwasatou said:
What if it was "speculation" on my part? Where is your ZOMGSPOILER now, huh?

You obviously have a shot memory and no grasp of the English language, because:

niwasatou said:

How the hell is THAT speculation?

If you paid attention to your elementary school grammar classes (what, were you too busy picking your boogers?), speculation does not equate to making a statement. You made a statement. "Did not" does not mean "may not". You just dug your own grave, fool.

This is how your spoiler could have been made speculative:

"It I think it was just unrequited love. They didn't may not have had any sort of relationship."

And I see you are using spoiler tags now: excellent! So now I have the option not to read what you have to say.
Jul 24, 2009 6:50 AM

Oct 2006
Oh haha. You're one of those.
Of course, you must always be right. I'm so sorry for disturbing you.

In other words, I'm not going to discuss this or anything else with you. I've got better things to do.
Jul 24, 2009 10:37 AM

Jun 2008
Guy's stop fighting over something so tribal. It's not spoilers. The Raw has not even surfaced on the internet. There's no way we could know. (Unless you read the manga xD) And besides just pay attention to dialogue and you can pretty much know everything. :D
Jul 24, 2009 11:06 AM

Oct 2006
izzy92 said:
Guy's stop fighting over something so tribal. It's not spoilers. The Raw has not even surfaced on the internet. There's no way we could know. (Unless you read the manga xD) And besides just pay attention to dialogue and you can pretty much know everything. :D

That's what he was getting at, that I'm a manga reader who spoils it for anime watchers. D; In any case what you say is true - pay attention to what is said. It's very important in this series.
Jul 24, 2009 11:37 AM
Jul 2009
niwasatou said:
izzy92 said:
pay attention to what is said. It's very important in this series.

The problem is that Crunchyroll mistranslated Kagami-sensei's line as "Pretend I didn't just say that." instead of "I'll pretend I didn't hear that".

That's why some people think the scene was more ambiguous than it really was (it wasn't ambiguous at all to begin with really).

Here's hoping CR will get a better translator. Their current one sucks.
Jul 24, 2009 4:38 PM

Dec 2007
this episode was great! so those girls can like boys too, i was starting to get woried...
Jul 24, 2009 7:04 PM

Nov 2007
That's so sudden. Fumi likes sempai as girlfriend, but she likes to be with A-chan.

Sempai likes the teacher with the glass, but he doesn't.
tsubasaloverJul 24, 2009 7:11 PM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Jul 24, 2009 7:45 PM

Oct 2006
1idd0kun said:
niwasatou said:
izzy92 said:

The problem is that Crunchyroll mistranslated Kagami-sensei's line as "Pretend I didn't just say that." instead of "I'll pretend I didn't hear that".

That's why some people think the scene was more ambiguous than it really was (it wasn't ambiguous at all to begin with really).

Oh geez. That's some translation fail right there.
I wouldn't have known about this as I watch the RAWs myself. Thanks for pointing it out.
Jul 24, 2009 9:33 PM

Jun 2008
niwasatou said:
1idd0kun said:
niwasatou said:
izzy92 said:

Oh geez. That's some translation fail right there.
I wouldn't have known about this as I watch the RAWs myself. Thanks for pointing it out.

With that translation, it can be easily be misunderstood. And us fan's start a discussion over something so simple. And I couldn't agree more. CR needs a better translator. Thanks for the info btw :D
izzy92Jul 24, 2009 9:36 PM
Jul 24, 2009 10:50 PM

Jun 2009
Really good episode.. I read the manga, but so far I think i'm enjoying the Anime even more.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jul 24, 2009 11:00 PM

Dec 2008
Looks like things are starting to get more complicated...
Jul 25, 2009 8:15 AM

Nov 2007
Cute episode.

#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net - the official IRC channel for Fate Testarossa.
Jul 25, 2009 9:54 AM

Sep 2008
Fumi came out of the closet.
Jul 26, 2009 10:31 PM

May 2009
My favourite episode so far. The anime really has been adapted remarkably well from the manga. Im still surprised by Yasuko's voice, its not what I expected but it suits her well.
Jul 27, 2009 4:33 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Great episode, everything came together really well.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Jul 27, 2009 4:38 AM

Jan 2008
So Fumi spilt the beans. Good that Aa-chan took it well.
Jul 27, 2009 9:04 PM
May 2008
Confession and study teacher relationships... so much drama. In all seriousness it was an alright episode... the best so far imo. It seems to be pretty clear what direction this series will take though.
Dead Account
Please Delete
Jul 28, 2009 11:33 AM

Jul 2007
They're doing a really great job with this.

Btw Koharubi translated it as "Let's pretend you didn't hear that. I'm sorry," so apparently there is a lot of confusion, especially when you consider that Kagami-sensei said something to Sugimoto that we couldn't hear. Just another reason for people to go read the manga though!
Jul 30, 2009 7:03 AM

Oct 2008
Commendable show, honestly. I can't say I know any homosexuals or anything (and their love lives as portrayed by popular media makes it seems like they're all depressed or self-destructive), but it's wonderful that this anime is allowing us to see two girls dating as being a normal, happy, lovely thing. They're not like say, ashamed of their feelings (I think Fumi is more reserved about her homosexuality, and is coming to terms with it), though you can see how they still have to be wary about it.

That entire scene with Fumi coming out to Akira was magnificent. It really captures the spirit and feelings behind letting someone you care about and trust know something deep and personal about you. Telling a friend a secret is a hard thing anyway, and I can only imagine what coming out of the close must be like.

Fumi crying and sadly asking Akira not to find her to be disgusting because she has a girlfriend and isn't straight was very heart-wrenching. It makes me wonder if most people have such a painful and hard time coming out to those they love (I guess so, though). If so, we all need to be like Akira: open and supportive.

It's nice to see a realistic coming out story in anime. Since most of the time, the homosexuals in anime are seen to be predatory or suicidal or they don't care. Which is all right, but it's nice to see that some of them are actually portraying the fears that real life people might have.

Akira shines in episode for showing us that she really is an excellent best friend.
I'm with stupid.
Jul 30, 2009 4:01 PM

Jan 2009
Nice subtle touch between the Student and The Teacher relationship. Altough Im not really sure if it was romance... Who knows? Maybe they're siblings... I won't give upon that posibility yet, or maybe Im being too simple minded.

My Anime List. | 皆は見つけられる必要がある。 | Relentless.
Jul 30, 2009 5:58 PM
Jun 2008
I know people who've come out of the closet. What Fumi did there took guts. Tear-filled, nervous guts. Bravo Fumi. She's a lot tougher than we give her credit for, honestly. She might be a crybaby and shy and awkward and reserved, but the girl's got some super strong concrete insides to put up with all of those emotional roller coaster rides.

And she's still just a kid, too, so it makes it even harder. Coming out to your best friend who has no idea that you're a lesbian, dating someone older and more mature than you are, getting over a long time relationship with someone you cared deeply about... she sure is taking those punches.

She's definitely the kind of girl I can root for. Subtle strength for the win!
Aug 2, 2009 1:00 PM

Jan 2008
This show continues to impress me. For mistakenly starting it under the impression that it was a high school slice-of-life anime, and then realizing it was shoujo-ai, I've really come to enjoy it.

I've never been the type to deliberately watch a shonen-ai or shoujo-ai. I have no problems with them, but they just hold no interest for me. There's just something about this show that's so calming. The moods are subtle, relaxing, and yet very much enticing. I like the atmosphere, and the realistic portrayal of the characters.
Aug 3, 2009 5:54 AM

Mar 2008
Indeed, the realistic prortrayal of the characters is something that amazes me in Aoi Hana. At least finally a shoujo-ai where not everyone takes it for granted that all the girl school students are full-blown lesbians (and perfectely fine with it). Cute and genuine, small and big troubles. I like this so far.
Aug 11, 2009 10:26 PM

Apr 2009
I figured that the they has some sort of special relationship, but not quite like that ^_^;
Aug 11, 2009 11:10 PM

Feb 2008
I'd been assuming from the teacher's reactions that he was the one with the hots for Sugimoto, not the other way around. I wonder if Sugimoto is bi, or just "experimenting". I hope for Fumi's sake that its the former and not the later.

I'm curious about what happened at the tea shop after the coming out, did Fumi run away or what?
Aug 15, 2009 6:59 AM

May 2008
well i pretty mch have no clue why im watching this but i somehow dun wanna drop it lol

Awesome Sig by Lailide
Aug 16, 2009 10:02 PM

Dec 2007
I didn’t saw that one was coming, and that’s interesting to learn about that Sugimoto’s former lover. I’m glad that Fumi tells Akira about her relationship.
Aug 18, 2009 11:31 AM

Aug 2008
I'm really enjoying the small comments Fumi's mother keeps making.

I like that she said "I hope you don't think it's gross". And I like that the "came out of the closet" reference was made.

I knew something sketchy happened with the teacher the moment they put him into the series.

I'm thinking I'm seeing symbolism between the "old" high school and the "new" one.
Sep 24, 2009 10:45 AM

Aug 2008
MistressMorbid said:
I've never been the type to deliberately watch a shonen-ai or shoujo-ai. I have no problems with them, but they just hold no interest for me. There's just something about this show that's so calming. The moods are subtle, relaxing, and yet very much enticing. I like the atmosphere, and the realistic portrayal of the characters.
This.

I can't really explain why, but I'm loving this anime. It's so mature, subtle and beautiful :)

May 17, 2010 11:59 AM

Jan 2010
saxophone said:
Looks like things are starting to get more complicated...
² D:
and yay, the kiss. *-*
Jul 28, 2010 4:19 PM

Mar 2010
Hmm this is getting pretty interesting.. I like the teachter she confessed to, i wanna know what he's thinking..
Dec 24, 2010 5:00 PM

Apr 2010
That last part was very predictable, the relationship between the teacher and the girl (I can't remember her name!!).

Nice episode.

Dec 24, 2010 5:00 PM

Apr 2010
That last part was very predictable, the relationship between the teacher and the girl (I can't remember her name!!).

Nice episode.

Mar 27, 2011 8:58 PM

Mar 2009
It was interesting.. and it was good to see that they showed the kiss.
May 29, 2011 9:32 AM

Feb 2011
When will this chain of love end xD
Mar 6, 2012 4:40 PM

Feb 2012
I really don't want Fumi to get hurt again! But I feel like it's inevitable. :(

Great episode! 5/5
Jul 9, 2013 3:24 PM

Dec 2008
I also love this episode.
I am feeling a bit sorry for Fumi, but I feel more sorry for Sugimoto; I feel like she's more into the relationship than Fumi is. Still, it was very brave of Fumi to confess her relationship to A-chan.
Jun 18, 2014 10:33 PM

Apr 2012
wow some heavy themes in this episode. Never imagined that anime would deal with the "coming out" dilemma or maybe I just don't watch yuri too often lol. Looks like Sugimoto is bisexual and had an unrequited love for her teacher? O.o

great episode

Aug 18, 2014 2:36 AM

Nov 2011
WOW

It's amazing how they were able to handle such a theme very maturely and realistically. Nice one J.C.Staff. Looks like you're coming off my shit list.
Oct 10, 2014 11:05 PM

Jul 2014
episode 4 and i feel even more twisted/embarassed, huh. heavy themes as their finest.
i'm not sure if i'm overthinking the whole or..?
this ep left a whole lot question marks in head.
Nov 16, 2014 10:37 PM
Jun 2013
Good episode. I thought this one was a lot better than the last.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Aoi Hana Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

MRLX69 - Jul 1, 2009

129 by hagukoko »»
Mar 14, 9:22 PM

Poll: » Aoi Hana Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Fugles - Sep 9, 2009

127 by GakutoDeathGlare »»
Mar 7, 11:38 AM

Poll: » Aoi Hana Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

starrysky - Aug 12, 2009

65 by GakutoDeathGlare »»
Mar 6, 6:23 PM

Poll: » Aoi Hana Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

FireReaverX - Jul 15, 2009

74 by GakutoDeathGlare »»
Mar 5, 7:07 PM

Poll: » Aoi Hana Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ShanaFlame - Jul 8, 2009

80 by Bing_101010 »»
Sep 7, 2023 7:06 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.