Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 20, 2009 4:40 PM
Jul 2009
Hello,

I'm new here... I stumbled upon this website while feeding my recent new found anime hunger. I like to think of myself as a cultured individual and part of my belief has me constantly searching for new media, weather it be music, books, films, you name it. Currently I like to think I only have a very basic understanding of a few anime series, must of which have been recommended via friends. My goal is to widen this array of knowledge and hopefully discover various new outlets to enrich my anime vocabulary.

I took special note of this section while browsing your website as it seemed right up my alley. Let me just say right off, I dislike the majority of the anime I am exposed to through American media sources. I can't stand seeing the same character structure, e.i. teenage boys/girls with special powers/some sort of magical gift. Which is why I was so relieved when I download the two of the 'weekly chosen' anime films. I was wonder if someone could suggest additional films and series' as it seems this section of the website is now dead. Also it would also be helpful if I could be pointed a direction of where I could find such series/films. Currently the only anime I have currently seen that I can equate to what I'm looking for would be Masaaki Yuasa's "Mind Game".

Thanks in advance, hopefully this does not fall on def ears...
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Jul 25, 2009 3:07 PM
Oct 2008
The director of Mind Game also worked on Cat Soup and Kaiba.

Excluding those two, here's a list of some artistic anime that I think are particularly good:
Angel's Egg
Spring and Chaos
Voices of a Distant Star
Mononoke
Inaka Isha

If you want more artistic anime, look at those listed in the club's relations, or if you're looking for places to download them, just go to torrent sites like BakaBT or Mininova.
Oct 26, 2010 4:10 PM

Jul 2010
The most artistic and beautiful anime I know of are
Gankutsuou
Spirited Away
5 centmeters Per second
Air
Iblard Jikan
-----
I also suggest
The girl who Leapt through time
Death Note
Elfen Lied
La Maison en Petits Cubes
Mushishi
Red Garden
She and Her Cat
Tekkon Kinkreet

Jan 19, 2011 8:08 AM
Aug 2010
I got here through the Dead Leaves page, so if something as willfully silly as that can be considered "artsy" based on how creative it is and the auteur approach it has to it then I absolutely have to recommend Birth, which is perhaps Dead Leaves' biggest influence

on one hand it has a stupid story that makes no sense and a nonsensical "we ran out of budget so here's some bullshit" ending so one might call it a "bad" movie if you watch it looking for a coherent narrative... on the other hand if you watch it for visual creativity alone it's an extremely fun ride.
Feb 16, 2011 10:59 AM

Feb 2011
Pretty much everything on the list on the right hand side of the group page is interesting and unusual. I'm a bit sad knowing that once I get through these it'll be hard to find any more interesting anime shows. :(

My favourite stuff so far mainly is stuff that heavy involved Masaaki Yuasa (who has done a lot with Studio 4C who are responsible for Tekkonkinkreet) like:

Cat Soup
Kemonozume
Mind Game
Tatami Galaxy (Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei)
Kaiba (my favourite series)
2 of the shorts from Genius Party (although the whole lot is pretty interesting)

I also loved Paprika and Paranoia Agent as well as Tekkonkinkreet. Akira is pretty damn awesome and a classic although it is mightily disturbing.
Feb 9, 2012 1:28 PM

Apr 2008
I'm really surprised no one has mentioned Atama Yama yet. I can't think of anything more art house than that! ^_^
starshinesMonetFeb 9, 2012 3:46 PM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Speaking of artsy anime...

starshinesMonet - Mar 22, 2012

0 by starshinesMonet »»
Mar 22, 2012 7:41 PM

» Glassy ocean vs. Ginga no Uo URSA minor BLUE

shegoblin - Aug 22, 2008

2 by chumlum »»
Oct 20, 2010 9:23 AM

» Club Activities! Artsy anime of the week 1: Kigeki

Sasa - Aug 12, 2008

12 by o0kamichan0o »»
Jan 8, 2009 5:46 PM

» Artsy anime of the week 3: Ginga no Uo URSA minor BLUE

Sasa - Aug 26, 2008

5 by shegoblin »»
Sep 4, 2008 7:59 AM

» Artsy anime of the week 2: Atama Yama

Sasa - Aug 19, 2008

4 by shegoblin »»
Aug 26, 2008 12:50 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.