Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Apr 26, 2014 8:37 AM

Jan 2014
Light was really clever in this episode, but she seemed like at least equally
smart, and I'm kinda surprised she gave him her real name at the end...
To be honest, I expected a big plot twist for her to say it wasn't her real
name when he revealed he was Kira. But this event was just too obvious to
happen. I'm looking forward to seeing the further development of the story.
May 7, 2014 12:24 AM

Apr 2014
ArnoldK said:
Awesome episode, but it also confirms my belief that Light Yagami needs to DIE.

What other anime has a main character who gets away with murdering innocent people?

I couldn't help but be on Light's side though, no matter what he did.

I have no idea how they'd pull that off but if they could, it'd be the best show ever quite easily.

Mod edit: Added spoiler tags
TyrelMay 7, 2014 2:24 AM
May 7, 2014 4:17 AM

Nov 2013
Altairius said:
ArnoldK said:
Awesome episode, but it also confirms my belief that Light Yagami needs to DIE.

What other anime has a main character who gets away with murdering innocent people?

I couldn't help but be on Light's side though, no matter what he did.

I have no idea how they'd pull that off but if they could, it'd be the best show ever quite easily.

Mod edit: Added spoiler tags

May 7, 2014 3:29 PM

Apr 2014
I'm pretty sure Light mentioned something to Ryuk at one point about doing something in the shinigami world... and then Ryuk goes "humans really are interesting..." or something. I forget when this was.

Near and Mello might make sense, but they suck. Not sucking is crucial.
May 7, 2014 4:24 PM

Nov 2013
First off use spoiler tags.
Second, he told Ryuk he should try to fix the Shinigami realm. He told Ryuk to do that, never stated any interest in doing so himself.

And that is just your own opinion, if you don't like a character that's your problem not the show's problem.
May 7, 2014 4:42 PM
Jul 2018
Altairius said:
I'm pretty sure Light mentioned something to Ryuk at one point about doing something in the shinigami world... and then Ryuk goes "humans really are interesting..." or something. I forget when this was.

Near and Mello might make sense, but they suck. Not sucking is crucial.

Lmao man you are hilarious
May 8, 2014 2:37 AM

Apr 2014
Botato said:
Second, he told Ryuk he should try to fix the Shinigami realm. He told Ryuk to do that, never stated any interest in doing so himself.

And that is just your own opinion, if you don't like a character that's your problem not the show's problem.

Ah, ok. He told Ryuk... but surely he knew Ryuk would never do that. The fact that he mentioned it could mean he had some interest. Ah well, like I said I can't even fathom how they would do that. It's kind of hard to flesh out the Shinigami world. There didn't seem to be a whole lot going on there.

I disagree though. Why is it necessarily my problem that I don't like these characters? I had the impression that Near and Mello were generally disliked.
May 8, 2014 6:27 AM

Nov 2013
Altairius said:
Botato said:

Ah, ok. He told Ryuk... but surely he knew Ryuk would never do that. The fact that he mentioned it could mean he had some interest. Ah well, like I said I can't even fathom how they would do that. It's kind of hard to flesh out the Shinigami world. There didn't seem to be a whole lot going on there.

I disagree though. Why is it necessarily my problem that I don't like these characters? I had the impression that Near and Mello were generally disliked.

No he didn't have any interest, and that doesn't count as interest. It was just a plain suggestion nothing more.

May 20, 2014 8:02 AM

Jan 2013
Another great episode. Light was hella badass when he revealed that he was Kira
Sep 4, 2014 1:36 AM

Mar 2013
I cant lie, this episode is very suspenseful.
But I dont quite buy her believing everything a stranger just said to her. I know that she knows Light is the son of the police investigator. But you just cant believe a guy that flip flop with his lies here and there. She's even an ex investigator and she showed she's a decent one with her theory and skepticism towards Light (notice how she glare at him numerously with a doubtful look). But at the end she choose to believe him?
By just being "oh Im actually one of the investigator too. You may now hand the thing that you know its going to cause you your life to me." Thats just too simple that its silly.
Quite disappointed that she had shown so much promise but ended up going to be dead by such ludicrous lie.
But gotta give props that the episode is really suspenseful, because I actually care for her.
Oct 6, 2014 4:17 AM

Oct 2013
Wow... that was intense. The entire episode was just Light trying to figure out how to con the woman into giving him her real name. It should've been slow and boring but ended up incredibly suspenseful indeed. And the look on her face when he told her he's Kira. oh gosh. D:

Yeah, fantastic episode.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Nov 18, 2014 5:43 PM

Sep 2014
oh SHIT, that was intense. Her fate ended a bit differently than the live action film. Poor girl.
Jan 29, 2015 7:16 AM

Feb 2014
Fantastic and intense episode!

However, I'm curious how it was 1:25pm twice...?
Mar 14, 2015 6:32 PM

Dec 2014
Heh, so she was more precautious than the impression we all got from previous episode. Too bad it wasn't enough to change her fate. GJ Light.

“There are two kinds of arrogance. One where you are unequal to the task and one where your dreams are too big. The former is commonplace stupidity... but the latter is a rare species that is difficult to find.”

Apr 18, 2015 2:48 AM

Jul 2011
Yeah, can't believe such a careful person would give her real name so readily in the end. DN is great at generating situations and problems, not so much in solutions and filling holes. Saying that, the suspense was wonderful and what I like the most about this series.

"Oh, this? It's because I'm Kira."

I could only smirk. Those eyes... and then Naomi's eyes as when she realizes...

That was wonderful.
MirorinApr 18, 2015 3:00 AM
Apr 21, 2015 7:22 AM
Dec 2011
oh...god i felt sick to my stomach when NAOMI handed her drivers licence to that bastard light oh...shit.!!! at the end light was so happy to see her die i felt like punching light in the face... but the moment i loved was when "light freak out about naomi not dying and thinking he will get caught now" i felt like yes!! but then ...anyway i hope L will make him suffer the way he did to NAOMI :3
Apr 23, 2015 9:51 AM
Nov 2014
LIGHT YOU BEAST LOL. BEST EPISODE YET.

∞/10.
May 5, 2015 7:39 PM

Jan 2014
Two things I can't quite get my head around in the Raye Penber/Misora Naomi episodes:

1. Once the FBI (should probably have been the CIA, for realism, as has been mentioned) found out its agents had been killed, I can't imagine they wouldn't have at least carried out an internal investigation. If so, they would have had a time-of-death window for the team supervisor in Japan, and a record of the message he sent Penber with the list of agents. Putting that and the subsequent death of the latter together, they would probably consider the possibility Penber had been acting under duress, making the people he had been trailing suspects in his death and, by extension, the Kira investigation. But the FBI instead chose to completely extricate itself from the case and cut off contact with L? Dubious at best.

2. Misora's decision to open up to Light, while somewhat excusable considering her state of mind and the conversation between Light and the receptionist she overheard at the police station, is still unbecoming of an otherwise highly discreet and ostensibly skilled former agent. Also, what adult, let alone trained investigative agent, would take at face value the words of a teenager claiming he is part of special task force dealing with one of the most dangerous criminals ever known, no matter what his history of assisting in cases prior? And what about the red flags raised by his increasingly desperate and transparent attempts to prevent her from contacting anyone on the actual task force, or his offer of a recommendation and request to see her ID? Very unconvincing and clichéd "shounen >>> stupid adults", imo.

It all kinda undermines the promise of episodes 1 and 2, and my memories of how good this show was when I first watched it 5 years ago. :/
Chelsea1311May 5, 2015 8:03 PM
May 12, 2015 10:58 AM

Sep 2014
Ryuk knows the truth :D...
May 18, 2015 7:53 AM

Jul 2014
Damn, Light is a motherfucker.

5/5
May 20, 2015 1:45 PM

Sep 2013
Not gonna lie, if I was making a list of my top 5 or 10 favourite episodes in anime, this would be on the list.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 9, 2015 9:40 PM
Mar 2015
This will always be my favorite episode from the entire show,or anime in general.It's just so intense for me.

This scene always creeps me out,no matter how many times I watch it.
Jun 10, 2015 7:29 PM

Aug 2009
Ahah.. This episode summarizes Death note, it's everything this manga/anime is.

It's in one way really suspenseful, with good plot twistes and everthing.

On the other side their is GIGANTIC incoherences everywhere, like the writer sacrifices every little thing & make characters act strange for the sake of the plot.

1 - Super smart FBI agent suddenly acts dumb and believe everything from a stranger, followings "feels" about him instead of logic (any sharp people would know feels often get you ripped off)
2 - Probably the worst, Light first get to accompany & talk with Naomi saying he's the son of head of the investigators, and that he'll make Naomi get in touch with them. And THEN to get her real name he says the identity of the invest' cell's members is kept secret for security : she will therefore not get in direct contact with them. WHAT, it's just the opposite of what he said just before and yet Naomi is like "yeah ok fair enough".
3 - He said idendity of investigators is secret, yet his father is part of it, and he claims being Light Yagami.. so hard to know the name od his father who's part of the invests, really.

Also all the lucks for yagami, the rain, the timing, everthing.

Still a good story, but can't take it really seriously, probably not the point of it anyway, it's enjoyable beside this.
ZiassanJun 11, 2015 3:39 AM
Jun 18, 2015 8:19 AM
Nov 2014
Finally reached this part on my rewatch! I think this episode is my favourite episode from the whole series, the soundtrack that plays out when Naomi was walking away from Light after he wrote her name on the note was fantastic.
Jul 2, 2015 4:12 PM

Apr 2014
@everyone shaming Naomi for falling into the trap:
Y'all are forgetting what she said about Light and L being similar. Yeah, Naomi is hella smart and deserves recognition for her carefulness, but she is a detective after all. Aren't they known for trusting their gut/instincts? Because she met someone who she believed to be like L, the person she trusts the most, it's not logically impossible for her to believe this L-like stranger is telling the truth. L might know that he and Kira are similar, but it's not as if Naomi knows that.

Moreover, Light said something about Kira being able to control his victims before they die- which Naomi fervently agrees with the moment he tells this to her. This gives her further initiative to think this high schooler is intelligent. This also contributes to her eventual demise as she falls for Light's trap.
Jul 8, 2015 8:23 PM

Apr 2014
fedaykin said:
My stomach was churning as she handed him the ID! That was really well done.

Yep, I thought "well she's done."
---------My Profile------------
Jul 23, 2015 4:44 AM

Oct 2009
Re-watching this for the first time since 2007.

I loved episodes with Naomi Misora back then, and do so now. Such a well-written character!

On of the best episodes.
Aug 3, 2015 2:44 PM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
that laughter when naomi handed light the id ....

Sep 10, 2015 12:45 PM
Jun 2014
I don't like what Light is doing, but somehow I didn't want him to get busted.

Sep 26, 2015 8:00 AM

Mar 2010
Every time ryuk laughed I was urged to laugh as well..

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Nov 2, 2015 6:26 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Man, the suspense level in this episode was over 9000! This is one of the best episodes of Death Note, and the episode that made me hate Light more and like him more too.

5/5
Nov 5, 2015 3:00 PM

Nov 2014
Damn I feel so bad for her :-( Also when Ryuk laughed for the last time was pretty chilling.
Dec 7, 2015 12:48 PM

Jul 2015
Wow, Naomi's change in expression after hearing Light's confession, just before being overtaken by the Death Note has to be one of the most powerful scenes I've witnessed in anime. 5/5 episode.
Dec 14, 2015 1:12 AM

Nov 2015
That was a fantastic episode. It had some great tension, and Light's ability to conjure up a plan like that was unbelievable. I also liked how Light felt the need to reveal his true identity, after he got hers. 5/5
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 31, 2016 4:47 AM

Aug 2012
Damn, this episode is by far my favorite!

Light revealing his identity and Naomi's reaction is just superb. I love that at the end it shows Naomi walking towards the steps with the rope to hang herself meaning that she is walking towards her death.

Damn, it's been so long since I read the manga. I think since 2011 or 2012. This is the first time I'm watching the anime. So far it's great. I'm falling in love with this series all over again.
Apr 14, 2016 3:29 AM

Apr 2015
It's sad to know thag Naomi is now dead. She seems like a pretty good character imo.

“Even if the attention isn’t forever, I’ll keep singing.”
May 18, 2016 10:08 AM

Nov 2014
Well, it was pretty uncomfortable watching Naomi give light the driver's license. Why suicide ;.; I could root for the world without crime light wants to create but I'm too empathetic. I root for L.

Jul 29, 2016 2:54 PM

Jan 2016
Holy Popping chocklet Light is good with words O.O played that shit real smoth! and tbh here that way thilling that i expected xD let see what next episode have stored for us ^^
cause MAL is doing there job for once.
Aug 4, 2016 12:45 PM

Dec 2014
Is this a Shakespeare play? lmao
Aug 30, 2016 12:36 AM

Oct 2013
Lol the name Light indeed juxtaposes the wickedness I see in him. But in Light's view, he's doing this all to become a god who can rule justly
Sep 9, 2016 2:23 PM

Oct 2009
i think its totally believable that she chooses to trust light

from her side i see it like this..

hes son of the police chief, that already makes him someone she might want to get to know, because he can potentially give her connections to the police and eventually the kira case and L. even if everything else he says is bullshit, which we know it is, some guard is going to be let down around light, because he can be a valuable resource to her.

also..
him agreeing with her analysis, but showing doubt.

hes the son of the police chief, and she can talk to his father, but only once his phone is on.

hes a member in the kira investigation and offers her a spot on the team, but says she shouldnt get involved because shes young and has her whole life ahead of her.

its a psychological trick, people are more inclined to like someone if they show positive AND negative aspects. yea light is making some crazy claim, and even though it sounds crazy (especially to us, because obviously we know hes lying) what if hes telling the truth? after losing her fiance and feeling like she has nothing, being a part of something greater, like the kira investigation, would give her the meaning and ambition in her life again that she wants. this in combination with light reminding her of L i dont think its so unbelievable for her to trust him.

plus i think subconsciously its hard to suspect a child of being a serial killer
Sep 13, 2016 3:49 PM
Feb 2016
I really hope this fucker bites the dust... what a despicable individual!
Sep 20, 2016 6:22 AM
Sep 2016
I just wanna say that there will be a live action movie in Japan that will continue this story. It will feature 6 death notes scattered around the world with new rules and new characters.
Dec 20, 2016 3:36 PM

Feb 2012
noooo :( based on how clever she seemed to me it's very unrealistic that she would turn over her ID like that. i was hoping she would manage to live.. i'm now rooting for L

the policeman walking by is clearly the new "hole" that will have to be dealt with.

still wondering about this "second" death note that was referenced in previous episodes and when that will appear again
Jan 1, 2017 1:02 PM
May 2016
Oh my gosh my heart! </3 Seriously an amazing and jaw dropping episode. Now I am going to have to take a breather cause I don't know if I can handle this much tension at one time. :O
Apr 12, 2017 5:24 AM

Sep 2016
I knew she didn't tell her true name the first time and Ryuk's laugh confirmed that. But still miracle didn't happen.
If I were her, I wouldn't have said that much until I meet L. Smell some plot armor there considering that she's supposed to be a cautious smart former FBI agent.
Orikasa_MomijiApr 12, 2017 5:37 AM
Jul 19, 2017 11:56 AM

May 2016
Ryuk was laugh was hilarious, definitely the best episode so far.
Aug 9, 2017 1:55 AM

Nov 2016
Light is scum. Never understood why loads of people like him.
Aug 16, 2017 7:38 PM

Feb 2014
Wtf..

She really revealed herself to a fucking suspect person...

*sigh*

Plot
convi

TechOtakuAug 16, 2017 9:10 PM
Sep 2, 2017 3:56 PM

Jul 2013
Is it fucked up that I started laughing a few times?

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Death Note Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

itainteazy - Apr 4, 2007

393 by decco6226 »»
Apr 13, 8:10 PM

Poll: » Death Note Episode 37 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Boursk - Jun 27, 2007

915 by Lowsttt14 »»
Apr 13, 10:57 AM

» Psychoanalyzing Light Yagami but in gen z slangs

egosumjohn - Mar 31

27 by egosumjohn »»
Apr 10, 6:53 PM

Poll: » Death Note Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

xXDaijinkazeXx - Apr 15, 2009

127 by KingOfPneumos »»
Apr 8, 7:58 PM

Poll: » Does Death Note deserve a remake? ( 1 2 )

Kenny_Stryker - Nov 2, 2017

55 by Absurdo_N »»
Apr 8, 6:17 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.