Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 18, 2009 3:33 AM

Jan 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Wow that was intense. Kon sure knows how to mess with your mind. Was sitting on the edge of my seat all the way through. May have to rewatch to fully understand and figure out which scenes were real or not.
Jan 11, 2010 2:26 PM

Feb 2009
aero said:
Was sitting on the edge of my seat all the way through.

Me too...
aero said:
May have to rewatch to fully understand and figure out which scenes were real or not.

That's for sure...cause i'm still a little confused about some thing and the movie is just too good to leave it like that.
10/10 from me!

"Only the dead have seen the end of war".
~Plato~
Apr 8, 2010 2:32 AM

Apr 2009
wow... Once you understand this film... your mind = blown...

Great film, one of the few anime's that left me shocked, mouth agape at the sheer awesomeness that is present...
Apr 12, 2010 5:50 PM

Jul 2009
Oh my godd... my mind just explosded

8/10 solid film
Apr 29, 2010 11:18 AM

Apr 2010
I was satisfied with the ending, I don't know why some complain about it. She doesn't look at herself as an actor/ex-popstar anymore, she realizes her own identity. The stalker and manager who were "possessed" wanted her to stay as a pop idol so they attempted to kill her actor identity (which was actually Mima of course), I believe both of the two were responsible for the deaths of the cameraman, director, and male manager(bad at remembering names) who were responsible for the changing of Mima's image.

There was alot of scenario changes and wtf moments but that's Satoshi for you.

Anyways, she took the career as an actor not because that was something she wanted to pursue but she did it to get rid of her pop singer image.
planeterianApr 29, 2010 11:52 AM
May 2, 2010 7:46 PM

Feb 2008
I want to post something about how this film made me feel, but I just finished it literally 5 minutes ago and I really just don't know what to say other then simply "awesome", I think this is one of those films that everyone should watch at least once, it is just that damn good.
Jun 1, 2010 4:06 PM

Jun 2008
one of the best movies to watch when ur high... dude i was fucking blown away. i am glad my first time watching this movie was when i was high
Jun 4, 2010 12:34 PM

May 2010
It was a really good film and I had to watch it plenty of times to understand the film. I also saw the extra features on the DVD and it had an interview with Satoshi Kon and he explained that he wanted the viewers to come up their own conclusions instead of having it done for them, so after watching the film many times, I came up some answers of my own, such as Rumi being the actual author of the Mima fanclub website due to her extensive knowedge about internet-related functions and she types down Mima's activities and events in a diary entry on the website due to being around Mima the most. Rumi I think was trying to relive the life she gave up on through Mima. Rumi likely has an issue with men as in the entertainment world, men like to exploit young women, so she targeted the men that were exploiting Mima such as the scriptwriter that wrote in the rape scene Rumi was strongly opposed to, the photographer taking nude pictures of Mima, the male manager she was working with in the company that wanted to change Mima's image, and even that stalker who in end only looks at Mima as an object. So all in all, it's a psycholgical roller-coaster for both Mima and Rumi as individuals and as friends.
Jul 27, 2010 8:06 PM
Nov 2009
I've seen this movie, it was great and the characters were really good and the twist at the end made me a bit confused but I understood it all. I give it a 9/10. The opening and ending are very catchy :D! But this movie really reminded me of Shutter Island it had the same wtf feeling to it for some reason. Anyways, awesome mindfuck movie!!!! Mima ftw <3
Aug 5, 2010 8:09 PM

Jan 2009
This movie was awesome, I am officially confused now.

I have several theories as to what actually happened during this movie, but in all of them I can't come up with an explanation of who killed the dude who took naked pictures of her. Sigh, going to have to think this over...
Aug 8, 2010 1:36 PM
Apr 2008
Okay, wow. Mindfuck galore. I feel inclined to rewatch this to get a better understanding of it.
Aug 11, 2010 11:33 AM
Jun 2010
burntlettuce said:
This movie was awesome, I am officially confused now.

I have several theories as to what actually happened during this movie, but in all of them I can't come up with an explanation of who killed the dude who took naked pictures of her. Sigh, going to have to think this over...

it was mi-mania the guy who was obsessed with her, Rumi-Chan was pretending to be Mima, and telling him what to do through e-mail, Rumi-chan new how to use computers as we learnt near the beginning :)

Mi-Mania (freaky guy lmao) died near the end, thats the bit im confused about did mima kill him and think it was a dream or what xD well anyhow.. THIS FILM IS EPIC... its like being warmed up to 50 Celsius and then ice cold water being poured over you right at the end xD.
Aug 15, 2010 7:53 PM

Jul 2009
This movie was amazing, I feel its slightly underrated on MAL, probably due to a very unclear story.

Doesn't get much creepier.
Aug 22, 2010 12:54 AM

Jan 2010
There is only one scene that I can't understand and that I can't piece together with the rest of the movie. When Mima was being questioned in the police station by that female detective that said Mima had a split personality.
Aug 30, 2010 1:27 PM
Apr 2009
Just watched this. The story is simple enough, but everything is executed perfectly. This is the only anime I've watched that has really creeped me out.

@ werr-y:

That part is just a little bit of foreshadowing about when Rumi's split personality is revealed. But I think it can also relate to the conflict between Mima's old pop idol self and her new actress persona.
Sep 5, 2010 10:20 AM

Jul 2009
So wait, she actually had sex during the rape scene? Film industries aren't like that nowadays...
Brilliant film, although some points did confuse me. Was Rumi the 'fake' Mima in Mima's imagination too? Or was that Mima's imagination entirely? For example, the part where Mima was chasing the 'Mima' in her imagination, then getting run over, but then waking up.
"A detoxified Akihabara would just be another electronic town!"

Sep 22, 2010 1:29 PM

Dec 2009
Some scenes were really disturbing, but they show how low some humans go for fame. Or how low goes a fan to harass someone. Great movie. The ending was also a good idea, the manager remains crazy for the rest of her days ... 8/10.
Sep 22, 2010 3:07 PM

May 2009
Oh gawd, this was so mindfuckingly (wat?) awesome. The story got a bit confusing with all the changes between reality and imagination, but I think I figured most of it out towards the end.

Watching this made me really sad that Kon Satoshi has passed away...
Oct 2, 2010 6:47 PM
Jul 2018
I was blown away by this movie.

Satoshi Kon RIP, you've done so much great work.
Oct 16, 2010 3:11 PM

Feb 2010
Okay, this was indeed a very good movie, though the whole multiple personality thing is not really new to me.
There are still plenty of scenes I can't figure out though. Like when Mima killed the photographer (in her dream) but then found the bloddy clothes in her room. Also how exactly the stalker ended up dying together with the Manager...

8/10
I probably regret this post by now.
Oct 25, 2010 1:31 AM
Jun 2009
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
Okay, this was indeed a very good movie, though the whole multiple personality thing is not really new to me.
There are still plenty of scenes I can't figure out though. Like when Mima killed the photographer (in her dream) but then found the bloddy clothes in her room. Also how exactly the stalker ended up dying together with the Manager...

8/10

i think rumi made mi-mania kill the photographer then put the bloody clothes in mima's closet since rumi has her house keys and all being mima's "assistant." then i think rumi made mi-mania kill the manager then she killed mi-mania after since he failed to kill mima in the studio and even tried to rape her.

i think rumi is against all the idea of mima being a sex object which all started when she became an actress. when mima was a pop idol, she had a clean image and i think rumi wanted to maintain that by "becoming" the pop idol mima. i think rumi created the mima's room website since she knows a lot about mima's work and mima actually talks to her about her feelings about being an actress (remember the scene where mima is praising that other actress and rumi was beside her, then when mima checked the mima's room website, what she exactly said about the actress was posted, only rumi knew she said that). and then rumi used mi-mania obsessive fanaticism towards pop idol mima and manipualated him to kill all those guys who contributed to "staining" mima's cean image.

that's how i understood the movie which i only finished 5 minutes ago. i better watch it again to analyze it more. this movie is so engaging. satoshi kon is a genius.
Oct 30, 2010 1:36 AM
Mar 2009
I was absolutely MINDFUCKED by this. Even more than what Inception did. Especially the part where she kept waking up. That was so confusing and frustrating because I was, "Holy shit!" and then it would cut to her waking up and then I'm, "WTFWASTHAT?!?"

Story was confusing as hell in the middle with the two Mimas and reality mixing with the dream world/hallucinations and shit, but by the end, it all came together wonderfully.
Oct 30, 2010 2:39 AM

May 2010
ChronosXIII said:
I was absolutely MINDFUCKED by this. Even more than what Inception did. Especially the part where she kept waking up. That was so confusing and frustrating because I was, "Holy shit!" and then it would cut to her waking up and then I'm, "WTFWASTHAT?!?"

Story was confusing as hell in the middle with the two Mimas and reality mixing with the dream world/hallucinations and shit, but by the end, it all came together wonderfully.

I was confused when I first saw it, but I watched it with a friend and his first time he was able to completely understand what was going on, so maybe some people just get it.
Oct 31, 2010 12:29 AM

Aug 2009
So confused.

When the scene with the detective/black haired actor saying Mima had a split personality and had made everything a part of her "drama" it made sense to me. But then everything after that didn't seem to follow. I'd thought Rumi/Mima-actor/Mima-pop-star were all the same person. But at the end....gah. I don't know.

But awesome movie. Makes you think.
Nov 1, 2010 6:43 PM

Jun 2009
Beks said:
So confused.

When the scene with the detective/black haired actor saying Mima had a split personality and had made everything a part of her "drama" it made sense to me. But then everything after that didn't seem to follow. I'd thought Rumi/Mima-actor/Mima-pop-star were all the same person. But at the end....gah. I don't know.

But awesome movie. Makes you think.

That was a red herring. I'm still not quite sure how, but it was in fact Rumi masquerading as Mima. Mima is Mima, but she may have been suffering from Demensia and paranoia. Possibly causing her to see herself.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Nov 7, 2010 3:32 PM

Apr 2010
OK i get the whole multi personality thing...this was similar 2 a movie i saw before
but what about those scenes where she was waking up from dreams? which were real and which were fake?

that guy was as ugly as homemade sin!!!
8/10
[Catchy, cool, insightful quote]
Nov 17, 2010 3:53 PM

May 2009
i think that she did kill the naked photographer, because it showed her actully killing him. i think it was where her dementa got to her.

she then killed the stalker and the manager.

The other one came the fake mimi and tried to kill her.

i think she suffered from dementra cause of the fake mimi saying werid things like you was here yestaday, and the mimis room website made it even worse on her mind which made her to believe stuff and that she was not who she was and instead she was the inposter which led to hte killing of the naked dude etc

If you noticed during the flim, it showed the fish, being alive and then being dead but then alive again and thats how she noticed that it was not her room (not to mention the poster ;D) and i think the "clothes" she saw was really her killing the guy becasue she remembers killing the guy also then finding out hes dead.
i created a club that is building up a emotional "feels" anime collections
so if anyone wants to join it and get emotional together please come and join us <3
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=18987
Click for link^
Nov 17, 2010 3:59 PM

Jun 2009
She may of killed the photographer, maybe. But, I don't think she killed anyone else. It was strongly hinted to the point of obvious that Rumi murdered the other two and everyone else.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Dec 14, 2010 7:14 PM
Oct 2009
oh man that was a freaking ride.i wasn't in the Satoshi Kon fandom....till now.( feels a little sad i haven't been before his timely demise). anyways amazing move :)
Dec 21, 2010 9:02 PM

Jul 2008
That was one of the most intense movies I've ever watched. My heart kept racing and my eyes where glued to the television. Mind is officially blown.
Jan 2, 2011 11:54 PM

Sep 2008
A unique concept for anime, but people who've seen enough live action psychological thrillers shouldn't be too impressed. Some of the psychological aspect seemed a bit forced in fact, like Mima not recognizing the fat woman just because she was dressed like a pop-idol and suddenly being attacked by dementia (she really has a weak mind) because some fat chick said some messed up things and she read an internet blog.

If you really think about it, that story aspect was a bit too convenient, and although its quite simple when you like draw up the story in your mind, when people dont really think about it, it comes out as a confusing puzzle, which it isn't. Its like someone said "but if it was live action this movie would be just another dime-a-dozen multiple-personality, suspence, thriller films."

I loved the first half. The rest was a bit too freaky and wtf-ish, which is good but that aspect was a bit forced.

My fav part though, is that last chase scene. That was really awesome

7/10
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Feb 14, 2011 1:22 PM

Aug 2009
I didn't know what the fuck was going on through this whole movie, but I really enjoyed it.
It's better than Paprika and Paranoia Agent in my opinion.
Feb 17, 2011 6:13 AM
Nov 2010
8/10

Very good movie, could have been better if they didn't force the psychological aspect on us. I never even suspected the fat lady, but it makes perfect sense that it's her...

It's better than Paprika and Paranoia Agent in my opinion.

Don't know about Paranoia Agent, but it's definitely way better than Paprika.
Feb 23, 2011 11:52 PM

Mar 2009
Great mindfuck. It was interesting from the beginning to the end.
Mar 18, 2011 12:21 AM

Nov 2010
eyerok said:
A unique concept for anime, but people who've seen enough live action psychological thrillers shouldn't be too impressed. Some of the psychological aspect seemed a bit forced in fact, like Mima not recognizing the fat woman just because she was dressed like a pop-idol and suddenly being attacked by dementia (she really has a weak mind) because some fat chick said some messed up things and she read an internet blog.

If you really think about it, that story aspect was a bit too convenient, and although its quite simple when you like draw up the story in your mind, when people dont really think about it, it comes out as a confusing puzzle, which it isn't. Its like someone said "but if it was live action this movie would be just another dime-a-dozen multiple-personality, suspense, thriller films."

I loved the first half. The rest was a bit too freaky and wtf-ish, which is good but that aspect was a bit forced.

My fav part though, is that last chase scene. That was really awesome

7/10

I think the movie quickly became a pretentious and nonsensical mess towards the end. And like you said, some elements were made to look much more confusing and smarter than they actually were. My biggest qualm is the fact that Mima was just as delusional as her assistant was. For example, how did she mistake her overweight assistant as herself? Was that even her assistant she was seeing and talking to? Or was it all in her head? Either way, I feel Mima was just as crazy as her assistant and for her to just drive away all normal was ridiculous. Well, let's be real, two people that disassociated with themselves crossing paths is ridiculous in itself.

Seeing that I've only seen two Kon films, I can't really get an adequate assessment of him as a director. However, so far, he may be considered the Hitchcock of anime but he isn't on that level outside of anime, imo. I've seen better psychological stuff.

In this end, I think I'm giving this an 8/10. I loved the mind-bending elements and I was entertained/thrilled from start to finish. However, I do not think it is as smart as some posters are making it as.

And as for this being better than Paprika, I can't get behind that. Paprika had an awesome soundtrack, stunning visuals, and was very well put together. Not only that, I think its overall concept was ahead of its time. I mean the movie was Inception before Inception existed. This film, however, jumbled a bunch of psychological cliches together to create an absurd ending.
IndulgenceMar 18, 2011 12:28 AM
Mar 27, 2011 8:56 AM

Jan 2009
insan3soldiern said:
She may of killed the photographer, maybe. But, I don't think she killed anyone else. It was strongly hinted to the point of obvious that Rumi murdered the other two and everyone else.

Sorry for my bad English:

I don't think Mima killed the photographer, I strongly think it was Rumi while the stalker never killed anyone, he only stayed in contact with Rumi through emails and he never acted effectively other than watching Mima on stage and other shit (his only real victim I think is the guy at the start of the OVA, the one who was making noise with his friends at the concert of the pop-idols, then we know that he died after being hit by an unknown driver).

If you watch closely to the victims you will note that everyone has died from an attack to their eyes with a sharp weapon, and the modus operandi of the killer is revealed in the photographer scene. Sharp weapon + hitting eyes first.
Then Rumi brought the bloody dress and all the stuff used to kill the photographer in Mima's room.
At the end you can see both the manager (forgot the name) that was pushing Mima to become an actress and the stalker killed with something sharp that hit their eyes (the same weapon used against the photographer and the same attack, too).
Even the screenwriter in the elevetor died the same way... I think Rumi was the killer for every victims because at the end she's trying to kill Mima the same way. She pretended to be the "real" Mima ( due to the fact that she failed as pop-idol etc) and killed the people who was trying to change Mima into an actress.

In my opnion Mima was "only" suffering from guilt, undecision and nostalgia from quitting her pop-idol career, causing her something like a split personality (when she goes to Harajaku to buy some clothes, the one used to kill the photographer by Rumi later and toward the end when she constantly wake up after working as actress)

Maybe I messed up something, I don't know if you understand what I wanted to say because of my English, sorry again.
WhiteTestamentMar 27, 2011 9:31 AM
Mar 28, 2011 3:46 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Another great film by Satoshi Kon. It's a shame the man died so young.

While everyone seems to be concentrating on the psychological aspects of the film, it's worth mentioning that Perfect Blue also represents a very persuasuve critique of japanese otaku culture.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jun 3, 2011 2:52 PM

Aug 2010
Still in WTF mode!

With all that as happened i can't make sense of all that happened but i think she made a split personality to deal with the people who were trying to change her back to being an idol. I believed she killed some people and the stalker had his share since mima and me mania were in kahoots. She ended up killing me mania....

The ending was no surprise for me but i'll have to re-watch this later.
Jun 7, 2011 5:45 PM
Jul 2010
Oh god, this movie totally mindfucked me. Story confused me as hell in the middle (especially when Mima was waking up again and again, I was like "WTF?" - well, I'm not sure I perfectly understood this part though), I thank people who picked up some pieces of this puzzle, that's clearer now. Perfect Blue truly deserves at least 8/10.
Jun 20, 2011 6:42 AM

May 2010
Fuahhh.. definitely confusing.

I agree with most people that it was Rumi who started the site, acting as Mima's 'real' self and emailing Me-mania. I'm not sure whether or not he killed the photographer and script writer though. I think there's a case for him doing it, but also a case for Rumi doing it. I'm more leaning to the idea that Rumi did though.

Without a doubt though I can say Mima was suffering from some pretty crazy psychotic episodes. Maybe severe schizophrenia? I think the role she was playing, plus general stress about everything caused her to suffer pretty nasty visual and auditory delusions.

Hmm.. actually to be honest I think it's better not to analyse the psychological stuff too deeply. I'm a psych student so I can't really help it - but yeah. Better not to I think. There's little things here and there that don't match up.

All in all - 9/10 from me.
Jul 16, 2011 9:42 AM

Sep 2007
I started to watch Black Swan immediately after this ended, to compare the two. It only took me a second to realize what a horrible idea that was, unless I was feeling particularly suicidal today.

It got really... really confusing toward the end, but I have to say, this movie terrified me and reminded me why I nearly punched someone's nose in for calling me an otaku. That word just brings up images of guys like Mi-Mania. >.> I can't really think of the last time a movie scared me, but this one totally got to me. I sat there with my best D: face on, shaking and covering my eyes occasionally. Darn you Satoshi Kon, for being so amazing and dying too soon. Even though this isn't on my list of feel good movies, I'll definitely be watching it again.
Jul 25, 2011 12:23 AM

Jan 2011
I agree this movie is mind blowing but I just cant justify that much screen time devoted to rape. I was definitely not prepared for that.
Jul 26, 2011 10:41 PM

Oct 2009
This was my first time watching a Satoshi Kon anime, and I really regret not watching it sooner. The story was twisting and confusing at times, but I was on the edge of my seat almost the entire time. After this, I think I will watch Paranoia Agent and Paprika. 8/10
Nov 21, 2011 9:37 PM

Feb 2008
WHAT THE FUCK DID I JUST WATCH
Nov 21, 2011 9:44 PM

Jun 2009
Veronin said:
WHAT THE FUCK DID I JUST WATCH

One of the greatest anime movies ever created.

- Geralt of Rivia
Jan 9, 2012 6:59 AM

Nov 2011
This mind fucked me the hole way threw, the thriller in it to was crazy.
Amazing and i never saw that ending coming at all. Will have to re watch it to piece it together never the less.
9/10
Jan 15, 2012 8:16 PM

May 2010
How could Rumi have been the Mima in the tu-tu? Her reflexes aren't human...
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Jan 21, 2012 4:55 PM
May 2010
Imaginary-Idol-Mima may have insane reflexes but it doesn't reflect the actual actions of Rumi.

At least I don't think so...
Jan 22, 2012 5:16 AM

Sep 2008
I was suspecting it was Rumi the entire time.

Epic movie was epic.
Feb 7, 2012 9:16 AM

Aug 2010
This anime has a good story, even the scene is little bit confusing.. :D

8/10
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Few confusing that i don't understand HELP ME, if you didn't watched it plz go away I'm sure it be fully spoilers

MadSonic - Feb 18

21 by hi777 »»
Apr 15, 9:16 PM

» Great movie... but suffered through the entire thing

BustedBayou - Jan 4

17 by Feitan_exe »»
Mar 1, 10:29 PM

» Confused

R1NN_ - Jul 4, 2023

22 by HansDevX »»
Dec 13, 2023 7:20 PM

» Recommendations like this movie with THOSE scenes

SadikTD - Apr 30, 2023

8 by arrianne311 »»
Sep 20, 2023 12:41 PM

» Just saw Perfect Blue in theaters

Phlaryx - Sep 6, 2018

11 by yagakimilover »»
Sep 10, 2023 5:38 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.