Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 5 6 [7]
Sep 4, 2022 8:19 AM

Jul 2011
This was pretty confusing.
The ending managed to explain most of it, though it still feel like somethings are still vague (I'm still not sure who killed the photographer, Mima, Rumi or the stalker or if he even got killed).
For a while, I was wondering if the teleporting creepy stalker actually existed. Of course, considering the point of view, some of his appearance might not even have actually happened.

Still a good story overall.
Sep 18, 2022 2:55 PM
Dec 2021
really strange but a great movie
Oct 2, 2022 9:48 AM

Jan 2012
This blowed my mind. I didn't expect that.
The parallel between the movie in the movie and the reality in the movie...
Oct 12, 2022 7:53 AM

Nov 2021
Oh god. That was intense. That was so much for my little stupid head to take. Now I am in a confusion about reality. The writer really knows how to play with your mind.

Have to rewatch more than once to understand which scenes were real, and which ones were her imagination.

Anyways, Overall Rating - 8/10.
-AcheronOct 13, 2022 10:50 PM

Oct 27, 2022 11:23 PM
Oct 2020
truly a rollercoaster of emotions with unbelievable cinematography.
Nov 5, 2022 12:54 AM
Sep 2017
The last 10 minutes is prob the hardest I've ever laughed watching an anime movie. Especially the part where it shows Rumi's reflection while running lol.
Nov 21, 2022 7:43 PM
Jun 2021
literally made me go through a emotional coaster
Dec 29, 2022 10:23 PM
May 2017
So does Mima not need mental health profession after this entire ordeal?

Lol 8/10 watch, i enjoyed this as unique and bizzare as it was. Not what I'd usually watch, but it was interesting (wtf did i just see)
Jan 19, 2023 11:32 PM
Mar 2020
need a second watch, was too concentrated on spaced out eyes from igor and lady
Feb 3, 2023 2:42 AM

Oct 2021
sigh it would be a crime for me to not rate this movie a perfect 10. perfect blue as the name suggests is perfect mind-blowing piece of media i have ever watched. sometimes i was like rewinding some scenes continiously to get a grip of what was going on, it was this level of messy but managed to bind the plot. not to mention those transitions in between the scenes which left me in awe. first half was a slow burn but after that the way in second half, movie picks up is just insane level of writing. 
Feb 6, 2023 9:39 PM

Feb 2021
Poor Mima struggled in this rat race industry. The moment she leaves her idol group, they strike gold, and to prove her worth, she even agrees to do a rape scene as a side character in some movies. Throughout the movie, she is slowly losing her sanity.

She's at conflict with herself and her choices and on top of that, that fucking creep is out there to ruin her life even more. It's scary to think people like this actually exist and are in desperate need of professional help.

Did she already have dissociative identity disorder or did she develop it after going through such a hard time in her life, or was it after taking the role of that character way too seriously?

I'm still quite confused as to who actually killed the scriptwriter and the photographer. Did Mima actually kill them or was she hallucinating them? During the end sequence, we see the stalker admit he was the one who killed them. Who was it in reality?

Damn, even Tadakoro was killed. The stalker was also killed beside her. I guess Rumi was the one who planned it all. She was the one sending e-mails to the stalker convincing him to do such horrible stuff and in the end, she was the one who killed him. I guess then she was also the one who killed the other 2 guys.

Wtf was that with Rumi in the end? She was also suffering from dissociative identity disorder? I guess it was persona from when she was still a pop idol.

Whew, that was a ride. I honestly, didn't understand every little detail, but damn, this was a good watch. There was so much to unpack and all of it still felt so natural. Great anime. 8/10

Apr 15, 2023 8:21 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
The way they handle Mima's circle of dejavu, and questioning her, or my time life wtf am i watching right there? Then the way they reveal the real culprit behind all of the murder in the end. Truck-kun in action again even close the scene. Tho where the heck everyone goes? Am i watching another circle of a fever dream? But nope, Mima finally found her true self, and its the end. Man, that sure pumps me so much to the point that if this movie comes from a nowadays era, it'll be perfectly nice and well done like what has happen with OnK case. Not my intend to compare both but...

All in all, this is a perfect warming-up place before watching the 'first' ranking anime that currently airs on this season, when i write this message. After all, the story about the entertainment industry never fails to amaze me, no matter what's era its create and the reason where the ruckus takes place. So yeah, keep your heads up and be yourself!
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Apr 29, 2023 3:56 PM
Mar 2023
This is actually amazing go watch it
Jun 12, 2023 11:55 AM
Jan 2021
one of the best Anime films out there, and among the likes of Serial Experiments Lain and Evangelion, it's relevancy is more apparent now than when it first came out.
Jun 21, 2023 2:10 PM
Jun 2023
I love it. It was very different from other films that I have watched.
Jun 27, 2023 7:55 AM
Mar 2021
eita eu tenho esquizofrenia
Jul 1, 2023 10:56 PM

Mar 2023
this movie really plays around with your mind, I watched this in the AM lol
Jul 25, 2023 5:32 PM

Nov 2010
Excellent movie! That was good mindf*cking! I didn't expect Rumi to be the mastermind in driving Mima to insanity just because she decided to pursue a different career. I initially thought that both Rumi & Me-mania were Mima's alternate personalities and that all that was happening in the movie were fabrications of her worsening mental health. After all, working in the entertainment industry is mentally taxing. I didn't expect Rumi to be the killer. I thought it was Mima's stalker fanatic or one of her personalities. Also, that explains why Mima's fansite was so accurate with her day-to-day movements since Rumi was always with her. That was a great plot twist! The only thing that bothers me is how a fatso like Rumi could chase Mima on those rooftops.

I also enjoyed the "Mima's r*pe" scene! I wish a Hentai existed with that level of animation quality!
Mima's boudoir photo shoot was so arousing to see! She's so sexy, and I want to lick her armpits so much! She's so yummy!
Aug 6, 2023 7:50 PM
Jul 2017
very much goated.
Aug 6, 2023 9:21 PM
Jan 2020
extremely jarring representations in this movie, highly captivating thriller with a well done plot
Aug 20, 2023 2:25 AM
Aug 2022
Definitely one of the best anime movies ive ever watched.
Aug 20, 2023 11:16 AM

Jul 2014
Just finished watching it and after many hours it still is boggling me
I guess it makes sense to the thought of Rumi being the pizza delivery, since she went away and isn't there when Mima is having her weird photoshoots, even when going home Rumi wasn't present (as i remember)
Might have nightmares bcz of those disturbing scenes...

8/10, the dreaming and waking up r my fav parts

And as someone who's been an idol fan for many years, there would always be that creepy fan...Dang, if only Mima pursued to being just a singer not an idol..
"Everyone fails sometimes
But dreams won't fade, dreams won't fade
Let's chase them as many times as it takes and don't lose
Because today after all is today and once you wake up, it'll be a new morning"

~Aqours~
Aug 22, 2023 12:52 PM

Jul 2016
Fucking Rumi... the scene with her crying because she couldn't stand seeing Mima "being raped" made me feel awful and then, by the end of the movie, I realized the crying was actually because she was seeing herself (aka perfect pure Idol Mimarin) in that demeaning situation. Guess she was living through Mima after failing to maintain her own Idol career and Mima's decision of becoming an actress and thus losing that perfect "Idol image" was what kicked Rumi's already existing mental disorder into motion.

Captivating movie overall. Heavy as well as truly disturbing for moments and featuring a great sense of visual storytelling.
The idea of the story developing through Mima's psychotic POV was fascinating and the constant transitions from hallucination to reality and vice versa had me feeling quite invested from beginning to end.

Now that said, I still have some doubts. One being the fact of Rumi being able to jump from rooftop to rooftop in that physical state and the other being related to who the photographer's murderer was. I could simply think it was Rumi but the blood-stained clothes were in Mima's closet... and there is also the fact of Mima "dreaming" about the murder before it was even officially announced in the news. So yeah... I guess I will go with the theory of Mima indeed being his murderer and the police simply assumed Rumi was the culprit without giving it much thought.

8/10 - Very nice movie though you really need to be in a particular mood to watch it. Or at least that's what I think when it comes to heavy psychological thrillers.
Aug 22, 2023 9:39 PM

Sep 2020
Rewatched this for the 1st time since the old dvd so it was like all-new to me. Still amazing! 10 icepicks to the balls /10

SouthRzVa said:
Now that said, I still have some doubts. One being the fact of Rumi being able to jump from rooftop to rooftop in that physical state and the other being related to who the photographer's murderer was. I could simply think it was Rumi but the blood-stained clothes were in Mima's closet... and there is also the fact of Mima "dreaming" about the murder before it was even officially announced in the news. So yeah... I guess I will go with the theory of Mima indeed being his murderer and the police simply assumed Rumi was the culprit without giving it much thought.

I think too many people get hung up on this as there is no 100% proof that it was her dream or vision. Yes, it cuts immediately to her waking up like many before this, which helps sets it up perfectly as a dream. But it just as well could have been non-sequitur and she's just waking up in that moment to progress the story. 

That said, I firmly believe Rumi is the photographer's killer, as well as all or most of the others. As for the bloody clothes, I think Rumi mistakenly left them behind or was hurried to leave and had to hide them there. She was probably drugging Mima, most likely with the tea (which is why at one point Mima was confused about Rumi visiting the previous day) and so she had to get out before Mima woke up. Right before the murder we see Mima browsing the webpage and seeing photos of her with that exact shopping bag but not remembering going out. So the clothes probably are hers and Rumi stole them to play dress-up for the murder but left them there for some reason.

But why was Mima looking at her hands after waking up, as if she just killed someone? Well, a little bit before that she had broken the teacup in her hands so she might have been reliving that trauma (she was pretty out of it at that time too, so perhaps only now it kicked in.)

But then again, we don't even know if that's really the photographer's blood. Mima could've been out rolling in the mud in a psychotic daze somewhere while Rumi bought the exact same clothes to imitate her doing the deed. Or simply, Mima was indeed the killer.

Anyways, that's what makes this movie so great. Any detail could go in any direction and make sense since they're not so black & white, so go ahead and feel comfortable with whatever you like.
"You can't decide the future, but I'm going to re-educate you in the past!" - Erna Kurtz
Aug 23, 2023 2:32 PM

Jul 2016
@SlammyHammy It's a matter of interpretation at the end of the day.

Personally, I would like to think it was Mima who killed the photographer. Rumi wasn't with her during the photoshoot so neither she nor we know how far things went between them (apparently, too far for Mima's comfort) and the attack itself looked really personal. Getting stabbed in the balls is very symbolic, after all. Especially when it comes to victims of sexual assault taking revenge on their abusers.
And not to mention that, from a narrative perspective, having Mima actually killing someone (her being aware of it or not) would add another layer of depth to her character... as well as it being a nice final twist, of course.
Aug 30, 2023 8:50 PM
Aug 2023
She's real and she has the Perfect Blue
Sep 6, 2023 6:18 PM
Jul 2023
just saw it in theaters and holy shit this movie blew my mind gonna watch paprika next spring!!
Sep 7, 2023 1:03 PM

May 2015
This was a great film. It really sent me for a loop with Mima and all of her dreams and acting in the show. I wonder how many of those illusions were just Rumi dressed up as pop idol Mima. It's not like Mima could tell the difference.
Sep 29, 2023 9:46 PM
Aug 2023
The plot is perfect for this movie. This movie knows how to mess your mind. The entire movie feels like a mystery.
Oct 1, 2023 5:11 AM
Feb 2021
Once you've seen the ending this scene suddenly becomes real and not fully a dream. You can see from the crowd's reactions and the worried looks on the other idols' faces that someone is actually there. Rumi was already so far down the rabbit hole she was getting on stage with Cham like Mima-rin would. Also it shows us that Me-Mania genuinely saw Rumi as the real Mima-rin too.
https://imgur.com/a/OafcLAO
Oct 10, 2023 6:28 PM
Dec 2020
Perfecto, este si representa el cruel mundo del entretenimiento no la b@sura de Oshi no ko.
Oct 12, 2023 4:39 PM
Sep 2020
I am horrified, perplexed and amazed. Satoshi Kon is a visionary!
Oct 31, 2023 8:32 PM

Dec 2012
What a movie to spend Halloween night sitting through. Mind fuckery doesn't even begin to describe the psychological maelstrom this has wrought. It's definitely going to take some re-watches to fully process and interpret the blurred lines between fantasy & reality. Which I'm definitely game for, as I couldn't get enough of this from start to finish. Though, I dread sitting through the "rape" scene again as that was absolutely brutal. It's seldom that rape scenes are this shocking and I found my blood boiling as I squirmed through it. From what I gather, the shock of having to do the scene made Mima feel as though it actually happened, which I think is what really set off the chain reaction of her paranoia & delusions.

This definitely has a multitude of layers that peel away the grim realities of the entertainment industry. From stalkers to sleazy producers, Perfect Blue captures the raw essence of a world where all sense of self can be lost. I don't think Me-Mania was entirely wrong when he said that Mima wasn't the real Mima-rin. Then again, he didn't know the real Mima either. Whether as an actress or an idol, Mima ended up being treated as an object of desire and was thoroughly dehumanized by it.

I'll probably revise this post later on as I re-watch & recalibrate my interpretation of certain scenes. As of now, however, I believe that the Rumi killed Tadokoro & Me-Mania while Mima killed the director & photographer. In Tadokoro's case, he was set on getting her into acting while Rumi opposed it. Furthermore, Rumi was trying to maintain "protect" Mima's idol image. As for Me-Mania, as satisfying as the hammer time was, I think Rumi went back to finish the job as she finally deemed him a nuisance.

With the director & photographer, I believe Mima murdered them as a catharsis to her paranoia & inner rage. The contrast between the humiliation of the photo shoot & the unbridled fury that came with each stab makes it hard to believe this was just Rumi in character.

But onto my final point, which is that Mima having blood on her hands would make the ending that much more profound. Rumi goes down for all of the killings. The case is closed and everyone can finally move on. But for Mima, it would serve as a scapegoat for her own mental collapse, giving her unearned clarity by pinning it all on Rumi. It would be the biggest lie she could tell herself and the perfect delusion for continuing to play the role of a tragic heroine who finally has her happy ending.

9/10, though I think this may be 10 material depending on how certain pieces fit together.
ZekkenshinOct 31, 2023 8:41 PM
Nov 9, 2023 6:39 PM

Mar 2022
This was definitely some intense trippy stuff I mean I know Paprika was trippy in terms of what it was going for as a film but I think Perfect Blue has it beat there. There was a lot of things that messed with my head about what was real and what was fiction about the events I saw. I really gotta admire Kon’s craft for storytelling the fact that it was Mima’s associate of Rumi being the real killer threw me for a loop I mean I really thought that it was Me-Mania doing all the murders but much to my shock he wasn’t, he was the red herring in the movie and my god what a twist it was. Rumi essentially made the fan website, knew whatever Mima was doing at the time and deliberately miswrote stuff about her, to make it look like she wasn’t enjoying her new life as an actress to come back to the idol business. I mean it would certainly explain why she’s conveniently with Mima at about the same time as the murders happening. Now I’ve seen many things in my life but I won’t be the only one in saying that the rape scene in the movie, I’m not gonna lie, disturbed me quite literally. I was just watching it with a horrified expression on my face and being like: “Oh dear god…dear god help me…”

It was that fucked up a scene, anyways I pretty much understood the vast majority of the movie despite what others are saying about it. But I do feel it needs multiple watches to truly appreciate it, it’s quite the mindfuck but man it’s such a masterpiece from the same mind of Paprika and hard to believe it’s the second thing I’ve watched of Satoshi Kon this film is getting a 9/10 from me.
Nov 11, 2023 1:43 PM

Nov 2014
Disappointingly mundane ending when there was room to do something a lot darker and more fitting to core concepts of the story, but the blend of challenging and uncomfortable themes the film serves us up to that point is so potent that it barely even matters - the inescapable sexual undercurrents of adult life and the question of whether a woman is empowered by using her sexuality for professional advancement or is being defiled by having it taken from her (the film explicitly references Jodie Foster who famously played a prostitute at the age of 12, but also feels prescient of the discourse surrounding the Me Too scandal), the loss of self under layers of persona which is perfectly expressed through the film-within-a-film-within-a-film narrative, and traces of the idea of dangerous unconscious suggestion lurking under a seemingly harmless surface which Kon would return to in Paranoia Agent.
Nov 11, 2023 1:54 PM

Feb 2012
It's really interesting to watch this a week after Mulholland Drive and notice all the parallels, I bellieve Kon definitely was influenced by Lynch in his work (Even though Mulholland Dr came out later).
Dec 1, 2023 5:18 PM
Oct 2023
a good ending and it really made you question the entire movie until the ending happened.Really a nice movie about dissociation and more personalities
Dec 4, 2023 4:45 PM
Mar 2023
Really sad it takes me 5 days to get normal like before، if you are sensitive don’t watch it
Dec 12, 2023 8:24 PM
Dec 2020
This was brilliant.
Dec 13, 2023 7:06 PM

Jul 2011
I wasn't expecting that this movie was denpa as fuk. Holy shit, it actually made me feel uncomfortable. It was a mindblowing experience. 10/10 tbh
Dec 19, 2023 2:12 PM
Aug 2016
Really confusing movie, howewer it really makes u sense the horror from the main character and also i like when the "real murder scenes alike the "script murder scene" I like that concept pretty much, kinda Hitchcock. Howewer, i think it lacks of a coherent path. Maybe on a second watch, and stoping while you watch the movie to understand whats happening, this movie gets better.
Dec 25, 2023 3:01 AM

Aug 2022
So great and so confusing. I'll definitely have to give this a rewatch since there are still some things that I didn't understand all that well.
Jan 7, 8:58 PM
Nov 2022
I enjoyed the mind games
Jan 17, 9:04 AM

Nov 2012
better than paprika imo
I have a third testicle that gives me psychic powers
Feb 8, 4:37 AM

Jul 2023
This movie probably inspired episode 1 of Oshi no Ko. It's a critique of the idol industry, sure, but it's also about mental health.

Its editing is superb. It keeps you guessing which is real and which is illusion, or which scenes are just part if the tv drama.

It kind of reminds you of Lain but not as confusing.
Mar 23, 2:40 PM

Jul 2013
the artist sure knew how to make the stalker look ugly and dislikable. there are other films in which the characters are depicted as bad or antagonist because their behavior is bad which depiction I like more.
Apr 1, 3:02 AM
Jan 2024
MIND BOGGLING WHUT-
Apr 5, 3:37 PM
Oct 2020
holy shitting fuckity shit
Pages (7) « First ... « 5 6 [7]

More topics from this board

» Few confusing that i don't understand HELP ME, if you didn't watched it plz go away I'm sure it be fully spoilers

MadSonic - Feb 18

21 by hi777 »»
Apr 15, 9:16 PM

» Great movie... but suffered through the entire thing

BustedBayou - Jan 4

17 by Feitan_exe »»
Mar 1, 10:29 PM

» Confused

R1NN_ - Jul 4, 2023

22 by HansDevX »»
Dec 13, 2023 7:20 PM

» Recommendations like this movie with THOSE scenes

SadikTD - Apr 30, 2023

8 by arrianne311 »»
Sep 20, 2023 12:41 PM

» Just saw Perfect Blue in theaters

Phlaryx - Sep 6, 2018

11 by yagakimilover »»
Sep 10, 2023 5:38 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.