braves's Comments

58 Comments, Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Bonham | 10-15-13, 9:56 PM
Bro, how's life been?

sayami | 01-05-12, 7:45 AM

January 2012 Edition

Bonham | 11-13-11, 9:31 PM
Okamura is a really good director, although Darker than Black came across as too slight for me to really rate it highly (and I never saw its sequel). Wolf's Rain is the best thing that Bones has ever done. I'd like to think of it as a more fantastical, accessible version of Texhnolyze.

I really like the look of the second movie, but nothing ever gels together into something substantial. You can pretty much see every beat before it happens, and the world-building isn't as consistent as in the third as far as constructing "foreign cultures" goes. But there are some interesting animation moments--I'm thinking of when Naruto, Sakura and Shikamaru are on the bridge, or Sakura's fight when we follow her running through tight corners in the ruins.

And I knew I recognized the animator for Lee's fight in the third one! It's amazing. Do you know who animated the fight at the beach?

Bonham | 11-11-11, 3:10 PM
So I watched the Naruto movies--my girlfriend mentioned they were on Hulu, so I thought "why not?"--and got through all three of them. The first one is definitely the best of the bunch--I attribute this mainly to Okamura, who directed this not too long after Wolf's Rain, and you can tell that he carried over a few elements from that series to the movie--although it looked relatively "standard." The second one was mediocre despite a few interesting moments. The third one is the most uneven--I liked how uninterested in was in any sort of dramatic plot for its first half-hour--but it easily had the best animation. The fight at the beach was amazing, and man, Rock Lee's fight was one of the best things I've seen in any anime recently... Do you know who animated that?

Majeh-Sama | 09-24-11, 11:37 PM

d-yaro | 06-11-11, 9:09 PM
It's that time: Vote for the titles and character you'd like to see added as relations for the Anime Alley Champagne Room club. Voting thread is here by June 21, 2011: http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=300724

Nominees are:

Anime
Durarara!
One Piece
Rurouni Kenshin
Paranoia Agent

Manga
Yotsuba!
Gunsmith Cats
Chobits
Emma

Characters
Gokou Ruri "Kuroneko Shironeko" ( Ore no Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai)
Oe Kintaro (Golden Boy)
Rakka (Haibane Renmei)
Shiro (Deadman Wonderland)
Kasuga Ayumu "Osaka"

d-yaro | 06-01-11, 6:48 PM
It's that time again: Seeking nominations for anime, manga and characters for the June club relations vote. Nomination thread is here: http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=299223

Nyron | 05-17-11, 12:20 AM
iirc you were one of my favorite users on the Funi forums
I give you five stars.

Kraker2k | 05-12-11, 3:09 PM
Haha excellent. Out of curiosity, how'd ya know Obari was a favourite of mine?

Kraker2k | 05-12-11, 4:32 AM
I see you found me on MAL!

Bonham | 05-07-11, 10:54 PM
Speaking of DKL, do you know what he's doing nowadays? I really miss him.

Bonham | 05-06-11, 10:30 AM
Definitely making a convincing case for me to watch them! Is the series on Crunchyroll? if so, then I'll probably watch 133 and 82 sometime in the next few weeks.

I haven't seen Colorful and Kaze no Yojimbo, but I saw Gungrave years ago. It's a frustrating series--and truthfully it sorta blends together in big arcs--but I distinctly remember episode 14 (which Tsuru storyboarded and directed... and I guess the only episode he directed?) as being THE high point of the series. Specifically the scene in the elevator--if you ever watch it, you'll know what I'm talking about. Shame the rest of the series wasn't as half as good as that...

Bonham | 05-05-11, 6:47 PM
Yeah, I picked it up again partially because of my girlfriend, but also because of a sort of... nostalgia, if that's the right term. It reads really quickly, anyway.

Outside of briefly seeing bits of it on Toonami a few years back, the only thing I've seen of the Naruto anime was an edited version of the famous Naruto vs. Sasuke fight at the Valley of the End (I assume that's 133 in the original series). I've wanted to check out individual episodes for a while (same with One Piece, actually, even though I do genuinely love the manga). I'll get around to watching the ones you've recommended at some point, as there are other things that are higher priority in the near-future (although I'm starting to get into anime and animation in general again, so I'll definitely be watching those episodes). By any chance is the episode with Shikamaru mourning one of them? I saw about a minute of it a couple years ago when I read a blog post--I think it was bateszi's--about the episode. The screenshots I saw, along with the little bit I watched, looked amazing; animation was astounding, particularly for a non-action episode of anime, and I got an overwhelming sense of atmosphere just from those few pictures alone.

wispse | 05-04-11, 3:02 PM
It's too bad! You should keep it up! I used to have the same problem myself, but don't stop! I have forsaken so many blogs in my life, I regret at least all of them lolllll.
If I feel that I know well enough to comment, I will. Good deal?

wispse | 04-19-11, 11:06 AM
It's just too bad they put good animation in filler episodes! That annoyes me so much, and makes me sad D:
You still want to watch it, even though they have no meaning except being awesome in looks.

Haha, oh thank you! ^^ It's nice to know which episodes have awesome quality and which ones doesn't. Also, if there's a series with awesome animation that's welcome too of course! (Please don't feel like I'm limiting you!) Like Samurai Champloo was great ^^ Although some episodes were quite ugly, they still had great animation ^^ And I love the works of Dai Sato

d-yaro | 04-10-11, 10:20 PM
Club relations voting for the Anime Alley Champagne Room club has opened. Voting thread is here: http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=291991

wispse | 04-05-11, 10:37 AM
Haha. I'm glad to help ^^ If I did that lol
I like that you point out particular episodes. Naruto has some really nice episodes I just want to re-watch and re-watch and do it again!
Yay, I like twitter! Many awesome mangakas have it ^^

wispse | 03-15-11, 11:06 AM
Update your blog, boy ;|

Bonham | 01-31-11, 10:21 PM
Man, I still have that picture opened in my tab. It's seriously so fucking perfect. Man, if all of the animators and directors had even a fourth of the talent shown in that picture...

Bonham | 01-31-11, 10:15 PM
Yeah, the writing is so absurd. What makes it even more impressive is that it has a kind of density to it that's unparalleled for an original anime--you have all of these factions and their principle characters detailed extremely well, all while developing different thematic ideas while juggling the setting of (eventually) two different worlds (admittedly this is largely due to the direction, but you get a feeling of the city like no other anime has ever done). I mean, you have series like Baccano and Twelve Kingdoms, but those are adaptions from novels. It's a testament to the series' writing that it has such a strong, almost novelistic structure.

All of those shots are really amazing. Probably my favorite individual sequence in isolation--i.e. I could show it to, I dunno, film students, and have them be in awe of the music, rhythm, "lighting," composition, etc.--is the opening minutes of episode 20, with the cross-cutting between Ichise and Saginuma. It's mesmerizing.

Hamazaki really emphasizes facial expression like few other anime directors ever have. That shot of Ichise is one of the more obvious examples--even without the context of the shot, the anger and sadness flow into each other so well that I find it a bit touching to just look at it. A lot of this stuff is even more evident in Shigurui--while it's not as mind-blowing as Texhnolyze is, I'd say that Hamazaki is even in more control there, and creates a greater sense of unity than in Texhnolyze.

The Book Club thread for the series is definitely rambling, but it's probably one of the best threads ever made on ANN. I hope to rewatch it in the next couple of years, so I'm definitely going to go over it again.

Lemme know what you think of Belladonna of Sadness. I RREEAALLLYY want to find a working torrent of that with English subs (although they may not be needed for the film).

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »