Kio is just another boring, nice guy with a boring, nice life until he meets a beautiful, curvaceous cat-girl while attending a memorial service for one of his ancestors. Next thing he knows, he's lying in bed with this half-naked beauty next to him! Her name is Eris, and she has come to Earth to learn more about its inhabitants as a representative of the planet Catian. And she's decided to set up shop at Kio's home for her stay on Earth!
Unbeknownst to Kio, there are quite a few organizations who will attempt to capture Eris, looking to keep her existence a secret by any means necessary. What's worse is when people around Kio turn out to secretly be a part of those organizations! Kio will have to work hard to keep Eris safe from these shady groups. Things are about to get mysterious, exciting, and most importantly sexy in Asobi ni Iku yo!
#1: "Kokoro no Madobe Nite (心の窓辺にて)" by Kana Hanazawa (eps 1, 5, 8) #2: "Now loading... SKY!!" by Sphere (ep 2) #3: "Omoide ga Jama wo Suru (想い出がジャマをする)" by Haruka Tomatsu (eps 3, 6, 10) #4: "Happy Sunshine" by Kanae Ito (eps 4, 7, 11) #5: "Oira wa Sabishii Space Man" by Chihara Minori (ep 9) #6:"Smile Peace!" by Itou Kanae, Kana Hanazawa & Haruka Tomatsu (ep 12)
For those that don't know what that means, it's apparently cute cat talk and reference to 2010's summer anime Asobi ni Iku Yo. An anime purely dedicated to fan-service enthusiasts who love eye-candy.
With an abundance of cliché anime that provide service in the market, it's pretty hard for people to differentiate whether it's worth watching or passing up(due to having seen its type before.) Whilst I'd normally say the latter for Asobi, I'd be lying if I did as it had definitely caught my attention within the first 2 or so episodes. Asobi is an anime that amalgamates everything a fanboy loves and adds a story for which the most part, does leave you wanting to see what happens next. If only it had kept it's pacing and consistencies to the very end, I might have had better regards for its rating.
Story - 6
Asobi ni Iku Yo is a tale of how an ordinary boy meets an extraordinary alien cat-girl(nekomimi shoujo). Clichéd? Definitely. So what makes Asobi any better then the rest of what's out there? Simple. Add in a gun wielding childhood friend, an introvert spectacle-wearing classmate with special powers, a teacher belonging to an underground UFO cult, an uncle who seems to be more then he is, a cat worshiping ojou-sama, and an alien dog-woman as the main antagonist and we have a formulated cast that could either make or break the show...
The disadvantage to this though, is the introduction of too many characters that you could easily like, and not leaving much in regards to background.
Art - 6
As an anime dedicated to fan-service, it was in no doubt that ecchi would play a part in the series. As a hot-blooded male I see nothing wrong with that and considering its targeted audience are probably lonely boys who get off on the harem setting, the series has done well in the visual department as it didn't cater for just one fan of ecchi either. Whilst most guys will agree that bigger breast is best, we cannot out rule that there are a certain few who's preference are palm-sized or have none at all. Asobi provides this.
Watching the series in an upscaled HD format, artwork was passable as it's not mediocre yet I wouldn't class it as a masterpiece either. Everything is drawn well and animation is fluid throughout the series, which I believe should be a standard norm for any anime being produced as of 2010. Hence my rating of 6.
Sound - 6
Like its art, OP and ED are not groundbreaking, and at best suits its uplifting theme throughout the series. With Sphere playing their catchy J-pop tune "Now loading... SKY!!" on opening credits, one could feel that this is your average type harem or romance/comedy as it's a beat that unconsciously invites fandom into the series. One thing worth mentioning though is the series choice of seiyuu(voice actor). As a fan of Haruka Tomatsu(Rouge from Basquash, the twins from Nyan Koi! and Aoba of Cross Game just to name a few), they have decided to use her talents as the mains childhood friend in a tsundere type role. Now this may be another chance for the director to show more service and if it was, then it's pure win as Haruka is the type of seiyuu I prefer playing a tsundere-type lead over others in the market(eg. Rie Kugimiya).
Characters - 6
Whilst each character on their own may seem cliché and lackluster, it's the culmination of having them brought together that I guess makes this anime work. As clichés go, we have your main Kio who is the center of the story. An uninspiring lead who nose-bleeds easily, but I really can't fault him as he does fall in your classic harem archetype of being the weak/shy boy who will stand up to anything regardless of fortitude. If only he wasn't as clueless, I might have liked this anime even more. Then we have his harem, Eris(alien cat-girl), Manami(childhood friend) and Aoi(school friend with mysterious powers). Whilst each heroine falls under their own archetype also, they do have redeeming qualities that can out rule you from rolling your eyes each time they go into cliché-mode. There are others worth mentioning, but I won't so not to spoil it for you, and my only advice in this area is to take each character introduced lightly as this anime pokes fun and may even parody certain archetypes.
Enjoyment & OverAll - 5
Unfortunately what started out as an anime with a lot of promise, due to the series being short and certain inconsistencies, it had left some questions unanswered and felt rushed at the end giving us a mediocre conclusion. There are a lot of flaws to this series from becoming a "cut-above-the-rest" type harem, but for an anime that runs at 12 episodes, I guess it's a lot better then some out there I could list out. Whilst the series may not be aiming for top spot in MAL or any other anime review site, what it does aim for is to give viewers 20+ minutes of mindless entertainment per episode, and give lonely boys out there some false hope that it may happen to them.
If you don't mind service, then this anime is worth the laughs and amusement.
Asobi ni Iku yo!
I watched this anime because i wanted to see another ecchi comedy, and just thought to give this a try, the story is fine, there's no complexity about it but in someway is interesting and this is a good ecchi if you're looking just ecchiness, it has good comedy, good characters and the assistroids were funny.
The story is simple, a Catgirl named Eris is sent to the earth from the planet Catnia to investigate the earth's culture, she stumbles with this boy's (Kakazu) uncle and he then takes her home, there's commotion from certain secret groups of who is going to take her but everyone with different reasons, and because this incidents, they make Kakazu's house the first and new Embassy of Catnia on the planet, there's a race that came before but in secret and she is a Dog girl from Dognia and wants to destroy Catnia and they will start some conflicts against the people of Catnia. Story is fine if you pay attention.
Art & Animation
The animation was very good, the ecchi parts were good, it was well made, nothing much to say.
The VA is very good with a very good cast, the music is good, in one episode the first living assistroid goes to see the earth and in the end she sings a song and it was just beautiful to hear Chihara Minori perform that song, it was heart warming.
They are interesting not amazing but they are very good, Aoi is interesting, Eris is naive but likeable, Manami is good and Kakazu is not a wuss but he is not a pervert and the ones that i liked the most were the assistroids specially Chu Yun Fat.
I really liked the ecchi this offered but the comedy and the characters don't stay behind and you have to pay attention so you can spot the wink at other animes like Hidan no aria, Kampfer and a lot more.read more
Jeez...I kinda wish I didn't even watch this anime to begin with. Maybe I'm just being harsh, but there wasn't something great about this. It was such a let-down. Something really promising at first and very quickly dropped as soon as you start.
~ Story 2/10 ~
I might be missing some accuracy because of the story being boring and unappealing so forgive me.
The main character is Kio Kakazu, an easy-going teen who seems to accept his new reality quite easy as his new friend is an alien cat girl, his childhood friend is a special agent, and his other friend is also a special agent as well. Essentially, this kid becomes pulled into a terrible situation by being involved with alien cat girls who came down to earth because...of the fish? While his friends work for the government as professional agents who are armed from head to toe.
The story is quite ridiculous and almost stupid. It's not even really in a funny way. It ruins itself from this style. Sure, it could have been quirky and an interesting to watch if it didn't fail to live up to what it could have been.
The very first episode is interesting as you watch an awesome fight scene. You find yourself clapping at the animation, even though it's awkward sometimes, and fight scenes. Something seems odd about it but you feel like this anime will be action packed and detailed.
Watching Asobi ni Iku yo is like having this amazing business man come to your door and offering you on an adventure that could save the universe. However, as soon as you accept his request and go to shake is robust, muscular hand, he turns into a wacky and cartoony clown that says "Just kidding" and slaps his genitals in your face before riding off into the sky on his own ass.
After this fight scene, you see our "hero" teen of the story who meets the first cat girl, Eris. Right after that, everything goes down hill.
Reasons for why aliens are present on the earth seems silly to the point that you'll find yourself face palming why they take such huge and crucial parts of the story and dismiss them with simple reasons or childish remarks as if it's nothing. The episodes don't even seem to go anywhere or develop. If you even found ONE silver lining in the story, you will be crushed dearly by the ending.
I tried to take in atleast the romance factor of the anime. It's all like a harem, but maybe the anime will come through with a love complex between the two main characters, right?
You will find the solution to the complicated love triangle and who out of the handful of girls that love this guy gets to be with them. The solution at the end? Well, why don't they just all marry him? It's not illegal atleast by cat alien standards.
There is honestly no story. You could watch this and not even pay attention to the details and it would pretty much be the same thing. The only thing that seems to be story is the girls getting into ridiculous situations involving them to dress slutty or find some way to show off fan service. If you went into the anime without expecting anything at all, you'll be fine. If you want a cool sci-fi about neko girls and a pleasant romance, you might want to turn around.
and run far away and never come back unless you are really bored.
~ Art 9/10 ~
Honestly the only thing I seemed to enjoy was the art of this anime. The animation is very fluid although awkwardly clunky sometimes. The style they chose is quite lovely. The atmosphere is displayed so well as the scenes change from beaches to seas, mornings to afternoons, neighborhoods to malls, etc...
All are greatly detailed and vibrant. It's colorful and enjoyable. Characters are nicely designed along with it's beautiful scenes and color. It's as if someone put lots of love and care into this factor, and I almost feel really bad for the artist for the fact that he wasn't complimented by the music, writers, or really anyone. If there was anyone who was truly serious about this product, it was the artist.
~ Sound 7/10 ~
There isn't much to say about the soundtrack. There really isn't anything special about it. The music isn't bad but it isn't memorable either. It's basic and meets the standards but that's all. However, it was nice from time to time. It was a decent soundtrack that was even very fitting sometimes. Voice actors were also skilled. If their scripts were better, I would've been more impressed by them. Although, it seems they were working with limited material and didn't even seem to take it seriously sometimes.
~ Characters 4/10 ~
Cardboard cut-outs and and big boobs. That's it.
The only thing flat in this show is the characters. But atleast their chests aren't.
The female characters are basic and stereotypical or sometimes have no personality besides boobs. Other characters are interesting. However, there isn't anyone too special or unique. You'd find that sometimes, the robot characters that don't even talk have more personality than the characters who talk.
It isn't dreadful as the dialogue isn't atrocious and the personalities do have some shape. Overall, though, it's not much and your characters are mostly there because they are important to the "story" or they are just sex appeal.
~ Enjoyment 4/10 ~
There isn't much to enjoy from this anime. What could be good and have excellent potential seem to be held back. The fight scenes would seem serious and well detailed while intense. At the same time, no one is murdered and you'll find enemies taken down easily by cutesy cliche' magical girl styles.
Tons of tanks and helicopters and soldiers arrive and they are disarmed by a girl with a hammer, the vehicles disappearing and the soldiers naked and defenseless. The action is so held back. It seems like they want to be serious but can't be.
One moment you'll have soldiers, and then have toy robot cat drones firing lasers and destroying matter to enter a boat. Whatever happens in the anime, there isn't an explanation. If it happened, that's all there is to it. Any questions will go unanswered unless it's unimportant. Nothing besides the art draws you in and so many things are a let-down. The romance is poor, the action had potential, the characters are poor, and the story is the biggest disappoint. Not even the ending was enjoyable. It's as if nothing happens through the entire thing even though so many things transpire. Why? WHY?!
Everything besides the art was lacking greatly. Nothing drew you in. Nothing satisfied you. If you go in with expectations, you leave disappointed unless you only like fan service. Nothing seems to happen really. You can watch the first few episodes and the last episode and it would almost be the same as watching the entire thing.
There isn't much to watch besides fan service and art. Maybe you could pull out something from this. If you like something funny and sexy scenes, maybe this anime is for you. Who knows, it might be your tastes. Anything else....well you will surely be disappointed.read more
We, the members of the Underside of Kitten Paw, have forge a new alliance with Catia. This partnership will not only enhance the prosperity and trust between us, but, also, to affirm our Goddess and Savior is the one and only Eris. We swear to assist and provide protection against enemies that endanger the safety and well-being of our Goddess and her fellow Catians. In return, we only ask that the Goddess, herself, graces us with her presences from time to time.
In an effort to build a stronger relationship with our fellow Catians, we have observed 12 videos that detail our Goddess’ life and her daily encounters with Earth’s surroundings. We have, therefore, written six ordinances that follow our Goddess’ behavior. All current and future members should follow these ordinances:
1) Thou Shalt Worship Cat Ears and Cat Tails
– Cat ears and cat tail have been adored by hundreds of people around the world. They evoke emotions of cuteness, of softness, and of fluffiness. We have satisfied our love by wearing fake cat ears and cat tails. That is, until the arrival of our Goddess, Eris; her authentic cat ears and cat tails prove that the real ones are far superior to fakes. We can toss aside our fakes, and worship the real ones. Praise those lovely cat ears and cat tails!
2) Thou Shalt Not Kill
– As stated by Catian law, murder is not permitted. As such, bullets and other devices that dissolve inorganic matter, while preserving organic matter was developed. We approve such a respectable law and have adopted it ourselves. The results were impressive! Our Goddess battled against tanks, but they were easily dissolved by the touch of her hammer, leaving behind no vehicle and only naked men. Our Goddess’ friends used magic bullets on assassins, and on Russian soldiers. The results: nothing left behind, but naked individuals. What our Goddess is telling us is to humiliate our enemies by stripping them nude.
3) Enemies of Catia Shall Be Our Enemy
– In the beginning, our enemies were members of the Beautiful Contact led by Maki Itokazu, Aoi from the Immigration Bureau of Japan, and Manami Kinjou from the CIA recruitment program. Their target was to eliminate our Goddess, Eris. However, one person stood by her, his name was Kio Kakazu. This young boy stopped the attacks and managed to recruit and convince Aoi, Manami Kinjou, and Maki Itokazu into saving Eris from a military compound. Then, afterwards, our brilliant Goddess sent a message to her mothership, telling them that the grilled beef was excellent, which prompted them to appear overhead. They signed a treaty with the Japanese Government and, thus, are not considered an enemy. This prevented future attacks from the Beautiful Contact, Immigration Bureau of Japan, and the CIA. Then, a new enemy appeared called Dogisia. They attacked a ship with our Goddess and her friends on board, hoping to sink the ship and take our Goddess with it. They attacked a camp site where our Goddess and her friends were eating. They raided the Catian Embassy (i.e. Kio’s house). And they attacked a Catian ship, which had other catians. In the end, they were annihilated in space. We assisted our Goddess and her friends by providing money, weapons, and fighting maids. Fuck with us! And our maids will kill you!
4) Thou Shalt Wear Skimpy Clothing or None At All
– It would seem our Goddess loves to walk around in bare clothing, wearing, sometimes, only underwear and a long shirt. Most times, she wears her alien cat suit and swimsuit to flaunt her large breast, a very proud thing to display. Her friends, on the other hand, go to more extreme lengths. Members of Catian mothership, wore nothing, but typical Japanese swimsuits to a negotiation, it was very effective. Aoi and Manami sometimes fight in ridiculous clothing, such as a Gundam suit and a playboy suit. They, also, fought with no clothing at all. Based on our Goddess’ and her friends’ behavior, it would seem wearing skimpy clothing is appropriate for any situation, as everyone around them seem completely oblivious to it.
5) Thou Shalt Forgo Traits That Develop One’s Character
– Our Goddess has encountered many people on Earth, and they all share one similarity. They all lack some character traits or backstory. The members of Catian mothership, what is their backstory, why do they want to fly this specific ship and their reasons for exploring the galaxy? Well, to us, members of Underside of Kitten Paw, we have no need to understand this information. Kio Kakazu seems to be a good-natured person, who is kind, caring, and really dense when it comes to love. Aoi is your typical shy girl whose crush just so happens to be near her target person. Manami Kinjou is a gun frantic with a tomboy attitude and personality, who is always complaining. Maki Itokazu is a teacher, the leader of the Beautiful Contact and that’s it, from thereon, she complains that our Goddess, Eris, is not a real alien. The villain, Janes, has a motive for her actions, but her personality is one-dimensional, it never changes. We, as members of this organization, should strive to not have any traits that develop one’s character.
6) Thou Shalt Respect the Catian Customs and Laws
– There were several Catian Laws that we would like to acknowledge: (1) Polyamory – when a man can have more than one lover, this practice was the solution to Kio’s problem when he was loved by Aoi, Manami, and Eris, our Goddess. This directly resulted in a harem ending. (2) On the 16th birthday, our Goddess went into heat and was having sexual desires, unfortunately, it hindered her fighting abilities and, thus, she had to take a pill to end her mating period. (3) All Catians must own an assist-a-roid, this machine can pretty do anything, except talk, they have no mouths and no emotionally responses.
By following these six ordinances, we hope that our relationship with Catians rises. We hope that one day, we may obtain a power to grow cat ears and cat tails. We hope that our Goddess continues to grace us with her presences.
While the majority of the internet chooses to adore cats as is, the anime industry believes it better to combine them with cute humans, turning fantasy into reality. Come learn more about the origin and meaning of the term nekomimi... while also cuddling with some cute anime cat girls, of course!