Ranked #2290

Duration: 28 min.
Rating: PG-13 - Teens 13 or older
L represents licensing company

May 2, 2009
"In a world filled with chaos and death, one kid finds the determination to move forward."

Enter the world of "Final Fantasy VII: On the Way to a Smile - Episode: Denzel." To put it pretty straight forward, it shows the end results of Final Fantasy VII, but this time we view it from the perspective of an ordinary kid named Denzel, who was caught up in it.

The whole premise of the storyline takes place in flashback sequences, as told by Denzel, who not only explains just how he got where he is at present, but he also wants to join the WRO. Now don’t get read more
Nov 30, 2013
Critic’s Log - Earthdate: November 30, 2013. Supplemental Review: On The Way To A Smile: Episode Denzel.

When Advent Children was released, Last Order came alongside it. When the Complete Version of Advent Children was released, here’s On The Way To A Smile: Episode Denzel

This is the story about Denzel and he aims to enlist in the World Regenesis Organization (WRO) and he leaps back into his past. some parts of this story takes place during the game and even before Advent Children.
To be technical, this is a production between Square Enix and A-1 Pictures and I assumed that Madhouse was behind this read more
Sep 8, 2009
First I have to say that I´m a huge fan of the Final Fantasy franchise. I didn´t play the original game Final Fantasy VII, but I played Crisis Core and are familar with FFVII´s story.

This OVA tells the story of Denzel, a boy who lost his parents by the collapse of the Sector 7 plate. He now wants to join the World Regenesis Organization (WRO) to help other people. Then the story leaps back into Denzel´s past.

The story is really touching and sad.

My opinion:
I loved this OVA. I don´t really like the other Final Fantasy movies, but this was really touching. A must-watch read more
Oct 14, 2010
Denzel was the only child of Abel, a worker in the Shin-Ra Company's 3rd Business Division, and Chloe, a sociable woman who ran her household well. The three of them lived in the Shin-Ra Company's employee residential area on the Sector 7 plate. Abel had been born and raised in a poor local village, so he was satisfied to have a family living in the upper levels of Midgar. But Abel believed that you always needed a goal in life, something to aim for. So read more
Feb 28, 2012
First of all, after watching this I really started to adore Denzel, he's just so nice, and his character who I thought appeared quite out of nowhere in the movie Final Fantasy Advent Children. Also you learn what he do after Advent Children, so he does not just disappear.

Story: 10! - The story is both nice and sad, and it shows the story of Denzel who is thrown into a cold and cruel world where there is illness and survival of the fittest.
Art: 10! - I really like the drawings.
Sound: 9 - The music is really nice, and so are the sound effects. read more