MyAnimeList.net

Aired: Nov 1, 1987
Duration: 51 min. per episode
Rating: R+ - Mild Nudity
L represents licensing company

Score: 7.231 (scored by 2630 users)
1 indicates a weighted score
2 based on the top anime page.

My Info

Popular Tags

horror
Mar 20, 2012
Donwun
This is one of the first animes i ever saw and considering it’s themes it’s clear to me now that when I began my anime journey this anime in particular probably had a profound effect on my young mind for both good and bad reasons.

Storyline

Akira Fudou is your typical kind hearted high school student. He looks after cute little bunny rabbits while at school and has a nice girl friend (not dating) that he lives with since his parents are away on an excavation in the South Pole.

One day while walking home from school Ryo, an old friend from Akira’s childhood turns up out of read more
Nov 1, 2013
Shura-shurato
well....i´ll guess it was COMPLETLY my mistake that i took this anime quite ´lightly´ back in 1999,as a 13 year old to find this kind of anime in a bargain bin on vhs and at first it din´t look that scared, till i watched it afterwards, in those days it was like `anime´s forbidden fruit´ to younger kids .
The ´anime master of horror´ Go Nagai ( with respect ofc)
seemed already made a t.v series of devilman in the 1970´s and a movie called Devilman v.s Mazinger Z wich both i never saw aired and over the decades made short horrorstorie´s or ova´s like read more
Mar 24, 2014
ArnoldTsukasa
Starting out as a weak teen, Fudou Akira learns a terrible secret from his friend Asuka Ryou. After being attacked by demons, there is only one thing to do. To fight demons, you must become a demon. This is the birth of the Devilman.

Art - it is horror, straight into the face of a demon.

Sound - there are monsters at every turn, voices from every shadow.

Character - you'll find fear turn into insanity.

Thoughts - this anime is scary as hell. Don't get caught by the monsters.
May 19, 2009
Sig15
Devilman is just ridiculous. There is some horribly cheesy dialogue and a lot of people think its retarded, but i find it both funny AND awesome.
Apr 20, 2008
Kain
Its a very dark and weird anime. This is the first one of the movies. Its where you see how he becomes devilman. Its not really that good of an anime but its ok to watch if your a little bored. You should have watched this one before seeing the next two movies because you see how hw gets to know his girlfriend. Defintely see this one if you want to see the sequels which have some good action scenes and a ok story;)
May 19, 2014
Remand
First it takes place in the modern world, then it takes you to the forest. Ryo brings news the demons are awakening. Fudou Akira is your terrified guy. Ryo is obsessed with something grand. He takes Akira to the forest. The timing of the demons were terrific though. It's a well-balanced mix of horror and demons. Underpopular, but not worth much.
Mar 26, 2014
devilfatbear
I noticed there are a lot of Devilman reviews that don't get a passing grade. So I'm going to attempt to be the one that break past the marks.

Devilman is similar to other anime. There is one driving plot and characters have common traits, but Devilman has a special predicament that makes it irresistible. It has the scary demon theme, the insertion and deletion of fear, the cold hard sweat of anticipation and excitement. There are demons planning to take over the world. One man's normal life is shattered and there is no return. After pushed by his friend, he has to accept the job read more
Mar 7, 2014
DanshiDan
This review may contain spoilers. I will now do a review on the only decent movie in the Devilman series.

After being disappointed with the Devilman sequels, I've come back to write a review for Birth, the only good movie in the series. This movie had great concepts and shock factor. Akira was just a normal guy, but with his friend Ryou, they discovered the demons. Together, they have to evade the attack of the demons while finding the chance for Akira to do the ritual to become Devilman and fight them. It's like one of those scary movies. The demon attacks are scary, you run read more
Dec 18, 2012
shinigami1987
STORY:

Pretty good origin of the character. Though it can seem a little long-winded and you can't help but feel that there should be a little more of Devilman himself in it.

ART:

Gory as hell...if you like that sort of thing. I personally do, but it may not be to everybody's taste.

SOUND:

What you'd really expect for it's time. You'll either love or hate Devilman's voice.

CHARACTER:

Some depth there. Main character's human form and his love interest pretty typical for the genre in it's time.

ENJOYMENT:

Loved it. Love the backstory. The concept. The Protaganist. Everything. Started to get a little impatient from waiting to see the 'hero' in action though.....but read more
Aug 5, 2012
barcaman101
I'v heard a lot about the devilman title over the years,some good ,some bad needless to say after this ova ill be watching a lot more of it in the future.

Akira is your typical high school teen,one day after recieving a beating from thugs he gets an unexpected visit from his old friend Ryo who seems visibly on edge and insist that akira comes with him . Ryu tell akira about how his father commited suicide when he was driven to madness due to a strange demonic artifact and his research into the demonic realm.

Akira then learns about the demons past and how they read more
Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices